Why become a member? ×

GAS! Is there a cure? Do we want to be cured?

NJE

Hello everyone,

Not long ago I picked up a new bass and for a couple of weeks I have been completely besotted with it. Everything was fine up until about 4 days ago when I started browsing the for sale threads here and on TalkBass.

It got me thinking about the whole big question and probably the most important question any real man/woman has ever asked, "will I ever find the perfect bass".......

I have been GAS-less for over a month and was really happy, but now find myself wanting a new Jazz 5er and have been craving basses along the lines of Alleva Coppolo, Nordy, LowEnd Jazz, Elrick, and some custom UK instruments. I started seriously thinking about whether I should just keep changing basses until "the one" comes along, but then will I ever find that one bass that makes me go "thats the boy for me". Is it just the end of the rainbow I am chasing or can I actually find the bass that cures my GAS once and for all?

So I started thinking "I will change my bass again" I will get something else and see if that is the answer and see if that will cure the dreaded GAS. I looked around and started pricing up some instruments, and then in a strange moment of quietness and calm I saw the bigger picture. I LOVE basses so much and as far as I am concerned knowing about basses and equipment is a important part of being a musician, knowing your tools and what is available to you I suppose. I have so much pleasure reading this forum and looking at basses and dreaming about what basses I would like one day and then it hit, if I got the perfect bass and cured GAS once and for all WHAT THE HELL WOULD I DO FOR FUN?

I have so much joy GAS-ing over gear, if that was taken away I would not know what to do with myself, bcause with all the will in the world you cant practice all the time.

My conclusion is this: I like GAS I want GAS and it will be a sad day when it goes and I dont want something new, because for all the money I spend and money I lose on gear I love it and love basses and I hope I never find the perfect bass because it would take away one of lifes little exhilarating pleasures.....the thrill of the chase!

So there we have it, the ponderings of a bored office worker. Does anyone feel the same?

i don't feel the same. i've got my perfect bass... but i still want more. just because my "taitycaster" sounds great, the neck is perfect for me, i like the weight of it (not too heavey but not too light, sometimes when i play my ibanez i feel more of a guitarist), etc doesn't mean i don't GAS for other things. i still play my ibanez and my thunderbird, even though i've got my perfect bass, and i still GAS for other things.

and I know what someone's going to reply with: "is it really your perfect bass if you want others?" and the answer is yes. its like your favourite meal - you like having it, but if you had if for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day you'd begin to hate it. i know you don't change basses three times a day everyday, but it's the same idea.

Edited by lwtait

I used to GAS all the time and buy magazines, drool over gear and make lists of my ideal setup etc, and I really enjoyed discussing such things with my friends. Once me and my guitar player went to Tin Pan Alley and spoke about nothing else all day. It was textbook.

Since finding 'the one' I GAS after no bass, no amplifier seriously (because of a back problem) and can seriously say anything I do like the look of is merely a passing fancy, a glance of curiosity, rather than anything more serious. I am so happy with my bass now that I have tried and tested it in a variety of situations over a long period of time that when I even imagine putting another instrument through that I ask myself what is the point?!

I find going to music shops now a pretty mundane but sometimes necessary part of being a bassist but no longer crave for things in the shop (though there are often lots of lovely basses - I am not being elitist at all) and I very rarely buy the magazines. In a way it is a bit sad because I used to love the 'thrill of the chase' but my wallet is happier and in the long run, so am I.....

Cheers
ped

altho I still look and point and go "oooh, shiny" I really am truely happy with my Ray. I've bought half a dozen other basses, purely for the aesthetics. My Rickenfaker I bought cos I think they're beautiful and didn't want to spend the whole whack on a real one...same as my headless and fretless steinberger (was hideously abused by previous owners and thus cos me £80 collected :)), my 50's Pbass replica, my jazzer, my red-stained swamp ash electroacoustic and the ashbory.

I do use 'em, ...but to be honest they're like pieces of art for me.

You have to admit it's nice to be surrounded by pretty things :huh:

*spelling edit*

Edited by phil_the_bassist

Really interesting to hear how people feel about "the one" and GAS in general.

I think I am just a bit of a magpie and am drawn to new shiny things. :huh: I do love my current bass more than anything I have ever played before which is a big thing for me. I think I just need a second bass (not unreasonable) and I think that should be an all out Jazz with every bell and whistle on on it, whether it be Sei, Shuker, Sadowsky etc....

I suppose its a bit like finding your perfect partner (im talking people now) you find the one you love and want to spend the rest of your days with, but occasionally you have a cheeky second glance going down the highstreet (or is that just me too :) )

I think I have found the perfect bass, my Sei 6'er, I look at other basses and think well they're actually no better.

I came very close a few weeks ago to buying the Fodera that is for sale in the Gallery, but after trying it a couple of times I came to the conclusion that I love my Sei, and the Fodera while being a really nice instrument really wasn't any better.
:)
I've had it for almost 6 months now too, so the novelty bit has worn off, and I still love it, and I've decided that it can do anything I want it to do, if I play it the right way (if you see what I mean).

I do want/need a fretless 6 though, so that's on my shopping list.

I am going to order a Kingbass 6 and I'd like a Jaydee, but that's not GAS though, they're just something I want.

I also now have the perfect rig, my Epi stuff is really versatile and sounds amazing.

I went from Epifani to Accugroove and Begantino, then back to Epifani, simply cos it's better at doing what I want.

i find GAS very strange these days!!

you see ive been lucky and had pretty much every bass ive ever wanted to own......i then sold them and now i have the 2 sadowsky's! i feel like i cant really find anything else i want (apart from pretty much the basses i have in a different colour lol)

out of habit i still look on basschat multiple times a day just because i love the excitment of finding a great bass for sale.

its gonna be a hard thing to replace. i do love the chase!!

suppose i better get on with playing rather than just buyin/sellin etc

:)

GAS is a funny one for me. Always wanted a Thumb NT - bought one and loved it.

But rather than look for new types of basses I'm now drawn to collecting the neck-diving, back-breaking buggers......

Edited by rjb

[quote name='NJE' post='272426' date='Aug 29 2008, 12:08 PM']Really interesting to hear how people feel about "the one" and GAS in general.

I suppose its a bit like finding your perfect partner (im talking people now) you find the one you love and want to spend the rest of your days with, but occasionally you have a cheeky second glance going down the highstreet (or is that just me too :) )[/quote]
:huh:
window shopping is allowed, its just if you go inside and make a deposit you can get in trouble :huh:

Two kids at Uni have zapped the finances for two years.

Which turns out to be a good thing on the GAS front.

Circumstances have made me stick to the modest gear that I have and keep on 'tweaking' with the discovery that 'my sound' was in there all the time but it took me 18 months to find it.

A little compression and relearning all the tracks using a pick helped.

I now have the dosh to upgrade but do not feel inclined as I don't want to move away from the sound I have.

I love my Rays, and the precision, but I still feel like the perfect bass is out there...I suspect it's either a bongo or an L2000...

Either way, I can't bring myself to part with the rays, as they jus look too good! Autumn Redrise has got to be the most beautiful finish out there, and a natural fretless ray with amazing grain and the craziest birdseye neck looks good too.

I will get both an L2000 and a bongo without selling, even if it takes me a while.

And as the man at the local music shop says, 'don't ever sell a bass, just keep collecting...'