Why become a member? ×

GAS! Is there a cure? Do we want to be cured?

NJE

[quote name='MuseMatt' post='272651' date='Aug 29 2008, 03:45 PM']The only one on this planet without GAS is Chuck Norris. Instead gear wants to be acquired by him.[/quote]

lol. in a GCSE english mock one of my mates wrote about how he wanted to be just like chuck norris, cos his roundhouse kick could destroy jupiter... somehow he managed to get an A...

I've come to the conclusion that my GAS is my wife's fault.

Reasoning: the wife imposed a 3 bass rule on me - foolishly I accepted. So, I have a 4 banger gigging bass (MIA P bass), a backup 4 (Ray 4H) and a nice 4 string fretless (MIA Jazz) for fun. However I keep going thru this swapping the fretless back and forth for a 5 er which ends up with me changing all basses at some point. I've made the argument to just buy a decent 5 er and go up to 4 basses but I keep losing :-(

I think my GAS is only really now aimed at other 535's and 635's, and maybe the odd Warwick here and there, and a nice looking jazz but I know either way I can't get on with one. I've luckily been able to own quite a few boutique basses and have had a feel for whats out there, but I doa ctually find it hard to find something to gawp at other than more MTD's, I think I'm quite like Ped, I'm pretty sure I'm quite settled on the 535 being "The" bass for my every need, nothing has been adjusted since I bought it, and is always making me play more and more the way I always wanted to. And now I've pretty much got a 635 sorted to compliment it, and I think I should be happy for a good amount of years to come.

I realised this today when I sold my King-Bass, I'm pretty sure I don't want another Status, not in a bad way, but in a sense I doub't I'll ever GAS after one again, and the same for Warwick, I chased after a SSII for a while, got one and it's left me cold, so that will be moved on soon, but the 535 just keeps me hooked.

Seems a few on here have settled finally with one specific type of bass.

I started off my bass nirvana days with a 1988 Status SII & played it pretty much exclusively for 16 years. Yes, others came & went, but it was always around & played above everything else. I sold it after getting my KingBass 5 in 2006 & regretted it. Many of you will have noticed me buying & selling basses like there's no tomorrow for the last couple of years. Now, my main players are... Yep, Status SII's. My lovely KingBass sits pristine in it's case once again & the only other electric I use on a regular basis is my Yamaha TRB-6 for jazz jobs & shows, particularly because it's so versatile.

So if I happen to mention I'm wanting another Warwick or a Fender, etc., just point me in the direction of Colchester. It's easier that way!