Why become a member? ×

What bass can you not be without.

jonnythenotes

My Warwick Thumb i couldn't sell. Love it for its playability.
My Jazz is my goto bass for most things tho.
My Overwater custom 6 fretless cause it was 50th birthday pressie from wife and its great fun.

If i had to pick one it would be the Warwick as it would be difficult to get an original with this feel.

Dave

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1434286985' post='2798291']
My 1984 BC Rich Eagle..

Somehow in the last 12 years, it's managed to outlive my Wal Pro2e, Lakeland DJ5, 3 Roscoe Beck V strings, 2 USA Fender Jazz 5s, a MM Sub 5, 1985 Tokai Jazzsound, a Yamaha TRB 5 and a 1005.. !!
[/quote]That's an impressive list (3 RBVs? That's just greedy :) ) what is it about the Eagle that makes it a keeper?

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1434287731' post='2798295']
That's an impressive list (3 RBVs? That's just greedy :) ) what is it about the Eagle that makes it a keeper?
[/quote]

:)

Not so much greedy, more an indication of what having had 24 hour access to Basschat for 8+ years has done to me!

Good question about the BC Rich?

From a technical point of view, I think it's the neck-through design, very resonant body, two-octave neck and the twin P bass pick ups..

But more than that, it's just always a such a joy to play.

What's surprising is that it's not even one of the custom-shop models from that era - which were amazing - but it just works for me.

These days, I'm playing it exclusively in one band I'm in, and am using my Yamaha BB300 exclusively in the other band I'm in... Both relatively low-fi, low cost basses.

My two 5 string basses aren't getting a look in at all!

Here's a pic of the BC Rich by the way:

[attachment=194358:Full Shot 2.jpg]

Edited by silverfoxnik

I've held on to my Ric for some reason even though it hasn't been main gigging bass for nearly 10 years. I just know that some band will come up where I need [i]that[/i] sound and it'll be a pain to get one at a sensible price. It's not entirely neglected, take it to jams now and again, people like playing it.

Have I not bored everyone to death about it yet? My wife bought me my Gibson RD Artist, I never want to sell it for that reason alone but it's also a fantastic bass and if I was reduced to only this one, it wouldn't be the worst fate in the world but I hope it doesn't come to that ;)

Playing in a party band, I've realised this evening that I'm lost without a 5. My Streamer went to it's new home this week, but my Infinity is yet to arrive. Transposing lots of things into different keys AND from 5 to 4 has proven to be quite a bit harder than I expected, especially with having to add harmonies on top!

I've owned quite a few basses over the years
and own too many now, TBH

It's taken me a long time to find my "ideal" bass
But this is it. A roadworn Fender Jazz
Built in Mexico, it looks, sounds and feels like a really old, worn-in '62 bass

Love it to bits. Ideally, I'd like one in Fiesta Red too
But I've already got way too many basses, and a US Jazz I hardly ever use!

The only way I'd ever get rid of it, is if I got a RW Jazz in Fiesta Red
that felt even more comfortable.....
And even then, I'd be torn

EDIT: I know many players don't like "Roadworn" or "Relic" basses and guitars
I wasn't particularly a fan myself. But I've said this many many times, and I'll say it again
There's something of a liberating feeling, playing a Relic instrument
You are not so precious, or worried about it getting a scratch or bump, when you're gigging it
so IMO it "feels" more of a working instrument or tool, and I've gigged mint basses in the past
So I do know how it feels to be over-protective of your shiny new bass....

Edited by Marc S