Why become a member? ×

Decisions! Which amp to sell?

fretmeister

[i]This is not a sale thread (and anyway I have paid my subs).[/i]

My current amp collection is a Demeter head, a Genz Streamliner 900 and a Shuttle 9.2 and a Roland Bass Cube 30.

The Demeter and the Roland get loads of use. The 2 Genz amps haven't got a look in since I got the Demeter.

They are both brilliant but I don't need 2 spare gig-capable amps so one of them must go.

But the question is - which one?

The Shuttle 9.2 is super clean and with the right settings does a great impression of a Trace Elliot (always liked that sound)

The Streamliner 900 has a distinctive tone and despite it not being as versatile as the Shuttle does seem to sit in the mix better for old rock, Motown etc.

Used they seem to sell at about the same money, so that's not an issue. I just can't decide which one to sell. I'm aware I might not be able to replace them if I ever change my mind.

When I use either Genz it's generally as a power amp for an Ampeg preamp I have, or just for a bit of variety. But I still only ever take the Demeter out.

Any thoughts?

They are both great amps. Personally I preferred the Streamliner as it has a quality core tone. I see the Shuttle as an extremely versatile blank canvas, with very intuitive EQ.

The Shuttle is like a world class impersonator, but it's never quite the real thing IMO

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1433950555' post='2795374']
Sell both. If you want more dirt then put something in front of the Demeter. If the Demeter ever dies then borrow something to cover the downtime. It is not as if the Demeter is a flaky piece of kit.
[/quote]

Mmmmmm

If they both sold at sensible money that would fund a very nice power amp for use with my Ampeg preamp.

Mmmm indeed.

If using the Genz as a pwer amp I`d keep the Shuttle, it being cleaner, and from what I`ve read a bit more versatile. That way you`ve still got the Ampeg sound, with the preamp and a clean sound emulating the Trace, so virtually all the sounds you like.

I have kept different pre-amps because they sounded nice with different basses.

On their own.

In a room.

As soon as a bunch of noisy gits turn up then those subtle nuances just disappear.

Sell sell sell.

YMMV :)

The Shuttle 9.2 is super clean and with the right settings does a great impression of a Trace Elliot (always liked that sound)

Hey how easy is this, I'll swap you my trace rig for your Shuttle an solve both probes haha.

As it's a back up amp situation I would be choosing the amp that was the most versatile with the most features. The Demeter is your go to amp so you want to choose the amp that is easiest to cover all the bases if that goes wrong and is able to give you the most varied sound as a contrast to it in case you got a gig that needed you do something a bit different.

I think I'm going to sell the Shuttle 9.2 and then see what happens.

I like it, but the Demeter does the clean & clear thing already. The Streamliner is stunning with my Stingray.

And - I won't have to rip apart my rack to get photos of the Shuttle done! Laziness wins!