Why become a member? ×

Overdrive with punchy girth

Thunderpaws

Hi. Fed up with my Old drive pedal. Looking for one that has a lovely warm smooth (not metallic) character but will also retain a bit of definition and oomph. Budget would be just north of £100. Mostly, like ALL, rock of an alt and classic nature. Want to use it as always on (for majority of songs) and be able to crank it up for the odd aggressive bit.

I'm tempted by the DHA. I have the DI EQ he makes, which has given me GAS for the V1.

I've been pleasantly surprised with my EHX Bass Soul Food. I was looking for a pedal that kept my sound, but didn't disappear in the mix, and that I could hear the character of the drive in the mix. This does it, in spades. Really cuts through.

Just to offer up some alternatives, two of my favourites have been the DarkGlass Vintage and right now I'm actually using and EBS Billy Sheehan signature pedal with the gain quite low. Both offer a very important ingredient - and that's the ability to mix in your clean bass sound with the dirt. Getting the blend right means you retain punch and articulation but have enough grit to warm things up a bit.

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1432828927' post='2785406']
Hi. Fed up with my Old drive pedal. Looking for one that has a lovely warm smooth (not metallic) character but will also retain a bit of definition and oomph. Budget would be just north of £100. Mostly, like ALL, rock of an alt and classic nature. Want to use it as always on (for majority of songs) and be able to crank it up for the odd aggressive bit.
[/quote]

Had the same problem with my Boss Overdrive a few weeks ago.I pulled the Boss ODB-3 Overdrive and replaced it with the $69.00 Dr.J Soloman Overdrive. I really like it, it's easy to use and gives me a warm grit/crunch.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1432829912' post='2785420']
Dave Hall kit. Mine's always on, and I've even taken to velcroing it on top of my head (amp head, not my actual head) for festival gigs where I might not take the pedal board.
[/quote]

:lol: OK - I'll own up, I laughed at the "velcroing it on top of my head (amp head, not my actual head)" line.

Here's a vid I found of the EHX pedal mentioned above: [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMt1qhQkqd4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMt1qhQkqd4[/url]

Edited by PlungerModerno

Think I am likening the reviews of the bass soul food, and the price. House move imminent so bass soul food would sit nicely in my life mix and hopefully nicely in the band mix. The blend knob seems important to me for retaining the bottom end. Will report back once I click "buy now" and get a chance at rehearsal next week.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

pS: just noticed a new Bass Soul Food thread in "effects" and it's getting love there.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1432864313' post='2785755']

Had the same problem with my Boss Overdrive a few weeks ago.I pulled the Boss ODB-3 Overdrive and replaced it with the $69.00 Dr.J Soloman Overdrive. I really like it, it's easy to use and gives me a warm grit/crunch.

Blue
[/quote]

Ha. Same here. It's my ODB3 I am struggling with, and that's after doing the Monte Allums mod. It helped a bit but not enough. It has a sparkling mid to high gain OD sound now though. Very responsive and useable at those settings.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1432864313' post='2785755']

Blue
[/quote]

What's the switch like on this? Is it quite clunky? I had the sparrow pedal, which I used as an always on preamp. Sounded amazing but the switch made that massive thud when used...

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1432860454' post='2785748']
I had a DHA, and I wasn't a fan. Same with the Darkglass Vintage. The EHX Bass Soul Food, however, is really nice. I think that one would probably do what you want, and it's only about £60.
[/quote]

I'm very impressed with the EHX Bass Soul Food as well,and couldn't get into the DHA pedals I tried (perhaps the two are connected....but I found both the DHA pedals I owned to be very noisy), deffo worth a punt given how comparatively cheap the EHX pedal is.

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1432884204' post='2785797']

What's the switch like on this? Is it quite clunky? I had the sparrow pedal, which I used as an always on preamp. Sounded amazing but the switch made that massive thud when used...
[/quote]

The switch is absolutely fine. Smooth and precise. Doesn't come through as audible at all.

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1432913417' post='2786181']
The switch is absolutely fine. Smooth and precise. Doesn't come through as audible at all.
[/quote]

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1432884204' post='2785797']
[/quote]

No clunkiness and no massive thud. Best $69.00 I have ever spent.

Blue

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1432878372' post='2785772']
Ha. Same here. It's my ODB3 I am struggling with, and that's after doing the Monte Allums mod. It helped a bit but not enough. It has a sparkling mid to high gain OD sound now though. Very responsive and useable at those settings.
[/quote]

I bought into a lot of reviews that must have been written by guitarist. My opinion, the Boss ODB-3 is not an overdrive pedal. The thing was a problem from day one. My Dr.J Soloman Overdrive is simple 2, gain and level, I love it.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1432954225' post='2786585']
I bought into a lot of reviews that must have been written by guitarist. My opinion, the Boss ODB-3 is not an overdrive pedal. The thing was a problem from day one. My Dr.J Soloman Overdrive is simple 2, gain and level, I love it.

Blue
[/quote] I had no problems with my ODB-3 but I agree with you I do not think it is an overdrive as such I found it kind of a fizzy fuzz if that makes any kind of sense