Why become a member? ×

Any suggestions of good simple basslines to learn?

Naetharu

Try Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol. It's literally three notes only and it's a slow song, however, place one of those notes out of time and it sounds really awful.

It's often harder to play slow stuff perfectly in time and, if the arrangement is sparse, it really puts the focus on the bass so it's a good thing to get your timing absolutely perfect.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1432892673' post='2785887']
Try Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol. It's literally three notes only and it's a slow song, however, place one of those notes out of time and it sounds really awful.

It's often harder to play slow stuff perfectly in time and, if the arrangement is sparse, it really puts the focus on the bass so it's a good thing to get your timing absolutely perfect.
[/quote]

Indeed.... it's a mistake to confuse "simple" with "easy"!

Early Status Quo bass lines are pretty straightforward.
More recent Status Quo bass lines are also pretty straightforward.
As are ones from the middle era.
With one or two exceptions, maybe.

If you are after things to get your fingers working, but are not too tricky - then Michael Jackson's Billy Jean, Garry Moore's walking by myself, Alannah Myles Black velvet in Em (mainly because there is a nice open E twiddly bit that you smile once you get it right!, and if you fancy something faster, then Final Countdown to test your semi-quaver/16th right hand - which also does note changes on the last of some 16 note bars. For fun, add in a version of Disco Inferno, where the pattern changes every now and then. Many, like the chain, are instantly recognisable, even if people don't know what they are. The timing on some is a good test of your feel.

If you want some baselines that are not quite as you remember them, then try my Beach Boy stuff. Sloop John B is nice and busy and of course Good Vibrations - that has a riff everyone should know!

Edited by paulears

Problem starting out - you don't know what you don't know, so can't sift through advise objectively. from above I would go for cliche lines that you can use to build a mental repertoire that will fit into other songs you are bound to be asked for. so rock n roll 3 chord riffs. Blues standards are always useful + happy birthday, Auld lang syne and god save the queen.

and this from Madona you may never play this actual song but it is a great arpeggio workout whilst being a recognisable tune. minor / major forwards and backwards

https://youtu.be/7YzW1nMB9fk

My advice, for what its worth, is go for simple lines and try to develop a feel. Once you get more advanced, its easy to get carried away and lose the feel and get too flashy.

I'd suggest, Stand by Me, and some basic walking bass lines from old Chicago Blues stuff like Muddy Waters. Maybe some Dr Feelgood, JB Sparkes was great at simple basslines that only work if you get the feel right.

But pick on stuff [b][i]you[/i][/b] like so as to be sure you enjoy it.

[quote name='Agwin' timestamp='1432889541' post='2785852']
If you know where to find B then AC/DC’s Livewire is more or less sorted.
Cliff Williams deliberately keeps his bass lines simple so virtually any AC/DC is a good starting place. :)
[/quote]

Agreed, plus they are loads of fun! The live version of let there be rock is good for the right hand stamina.

Of course, you could be a Boyzone fan :)

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1432921847' post='2786275']
Ummmm, hmmmm. No :)
[/quote]
Shocking! I thought everyone who picked up a bass as a kid would have played just a bit of it (even just the once). :o

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1432931863' post='2786437']

Shocking! I thought everyone who picked up a bass as a kid would have played just a bit of it (even just the once). :o
[/quote]

I never really played it until a recent dep job!

Sunshine of Your Love - Cream. Basically a blues scale. If you are new to playing music, then Memphis Soul Stew by King Curtis is worth a listen. It has an easy bass line, and you can hear how a song is put together.

Edited by timmo

Dakota by the Stereophonics. If you can stay awake for the entire song then the world is your lobster. See also: Dance the night away, Moves like Jagger.

Baba O'Reilly by The Who is a simple one.

IIRC, Pride by U2, although simple, has the bass changing where the guitar doesn't and that can be a little misleading. One, also U2, allows the bass a bit more freedom of expression.