Why become a member? ×

How do you have your volume control ?

LITTLEWING

On my Umbo I run the switch in Ultraclean mode, have tone slightly rolled off from full, a slight bias to the bridge pup, and volume at about half [u]+[/u] a bit. I prefer the sensitivity in my bass knob (ooh err) to the amp, and haven't found that I lose the voice I want from my instrument with the lower input volume (this is usually through a head/cab, rather than a PA). I knock the switch to Dirty Mid mode (not my terms...) if I want some grunt.

These criteria have been developed purely by what sound I think I like, rather than any robust theory. Perhaps I should start experimenting with a bit more volume than half [u]+[/u] a bit, to 'improve' my signal...

Its only recently Ive actually thought of dialing it back a little and as my signal has three boost/gain pedals there's hardly a drop in volume but the saturation of distortion and gain changes ALOT. So much so, its now another thing I have to think about, I have four settings for two pedals and a bass to play just ten songs and Im an 'always on' type of player.

Four knobs on a Wal; volume, mixer between pick-ups, bass, treble.

Volume on 4, mixer slightly, but only slightly, favouring treble, bass up full, treble on 9.

I keep the volume low because, in the musics I play, an 'awesome' bass sound doesn't work. It needs to sit comfortably in the mix rather than overwhelm it.

Actually, reviewing the above, I realised I do change it at times. I do a pop gig with the occasional reggae tune and then I pull the treble back and increase the mix in favour of the bass pick up. I also, once in a while, do that guitarist's trick of using the volume control to mirror the effect of a volume pedal. The controls have an incredible range on a Wal and I can actually recreate a wah pedal as well, albeit less effectively than the volume trick. The bass tone knob is less accessible.

Onboard volume generally on full - the only exception, normally, is when I'm using the Tube Screamer, as it does respond very nicely to changes in input level. The Screamer generally only gets used when I'm soloing, however, so I'll be on '10' for the majority of a set. I do, however, find myself rolling off the tone a fair bit, even on the Gibson-type basses. It may just be that our music suits a slightly darker bass sound.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1431333114' post='2769971']
I'm surprised at how many people "keep a bit in reserve"! I always assumed (rightly or wrongly) that reducing the volume would affect the tone and that basses work best with volumes up full. Better for signal to noise ratio too... but maybe this is not true?

Easier on a P bass (or something with only one volume control) but trying to do that on a J could be fiddly as having the two volumes set differently would change the tone (balance of the pickups) a bit I would guess.
[/quote]

I changed the middle volume control on my Jazz to a blend control. Now the one volume control controls both pick-ups. I know some of the purists may be aghast, but it serves my needs and can be undone if I ever stop using the Jazz live. Haven't figured out how to do that with the Rickenbacker, yet. lol

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1431321959' post='2769871']
Do those of you who keep a bit in reserve and then turn up have someone out front riding the desk ?
[/quote]

No. I don't generally need it, but I'm not afraid to use it if volume levels creep up. And I'm not afraid to turn it down a bit too.

I'm surprised at how many people "keep a bit in reserve"! I always assumed (rightly or wrongly) that reducing the volume would affect the tone and that basses work best with volumes up full. Better for signal to noise ratio too... but maybe this is not true?
[/quote]

On an active bass, tone doesn't get affected unless turning the volume up pushes the amp front end into clipping. Yes, SNR is better with the volume full up, but decent modern amps and effects units have very little N so it becomes a theoretical issue.

Easier on a P bass (or something with only one volume control) but trying to do that on a J could be fiddly as having the two volumes set differently would change the tone (balance of the pickups) a bit I would guess.
[/quote]

Yes, I have volume and blend on most of my basses so it's not an issue.

My problem is that if the volume(s) were less than 100%, I wouldn't quite know where I was! If it is always on full and I knock it slightly, I can quickly check and return it to its "full on" position. OK, so I'm a bit clumsy and often catch my knobs when I am playing... :blush:
[/quote]

As we almost always play with backline only and no PA support for instruments, I set it by ear (and then don't knock it). If I do adjust it in the set, again, it's by ear.

Hot Rod P bass with 90% volume on neck (P pickup) and about 15% on bridge (J pickup) with most of the treble rolled off. Keeps all the unwanted stuff down a bit plus it sort if seems unnatural to me to set anything at absolute flat out! Surely most controls work best inside their operating range rather than right at the end?
With regard to dynamics, you can still play harder/softer regardless of where you start with the controls set. The only time this approach might be tricky is if you simply aren't loud enough with your amp on max and digging in but that's unlikely, surely? (or your amp/cab isn't big enough!)

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1431436923' post='2771320']
Hot Rod P bass with 90% volume on neck (P pickup) and about 15% on bridge (J pickup) with most of the treble rolled off. Keeps all the unwanted stuff down a bit plus it sort if seems unnatural to me to set anything at absolute flat out! Surely most controls work best inside their operating range rather than right at the end?
With regard to dynamics, you can still play harder/softer regardless of where you start with the controls set. The only time this approach might be tricky is if you simply aren't loud enough with your amp on max and digging in but that's unlikely, surely? (or your amp/cab isn't big enough!)
[/quote]

The volume control on a bass is a cut control. It doesn't make the bass any louder. Only quieter.

So if you turn down your bass you're effectively limiting the range of dynamics available to you. Or rather making that range more narrow and harder to make fine adjustments from your fingers.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1431450074' post='2771518']
The volume control on a bass is a cut control. It doesn't make the bass any louder. Only quieter.

So if you turn down your bass you're effectively limiting the range of dynamics available to you. Or rather making that range more narrow and harder to make fine adjustments from your fingers.
[/quote]

No, the ratio of sound level between your quietest and loudest notes will still be the same.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1431450074' post='2771518']

[/quote]

errr if you turn your bass vol down and it makes it quieter, then set your stage volume via your amp gain / output, then turn your bass vol up it gets louder. I don't think I ever suggested that the vol control "amplifies" your bass - it's passive, so the max pickup output is what it is. I appreciate that as the pot bleeds the signal to earth to lower the pickup output, it may affect the overall dynamics/sound, but it's a sound I like (and even my guitarist commented that he likes the overall tone I get - who ever thought they listened?) so it works for me. Ymmv.

No one else use volume control to control the level of distortion? I only play at home but that's what I use the volume on my SUB for, it being super hot and keen to distort. Or is that just a left over relic from my heady metal guitar days?

[quote name='Heket' timestamp='1431509620' post='2771973']
No one else use volume control to control the level of distortion? I only play at home but that's what I use the volume on my SUB for, it being super hot and keen to distort. Or is that just a left over relic from my heady metal guitar days?
[/quote]

Me too!

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1431358011' post='2770422']
Onboard volume generally on full - the only exception, normally, is when I'm using the Tube Screamer, as it does respond very nicely to changes in input level. The Screamer generally only gets used when I'm soloing, however, so I'll be on '10' for the majority of a set.
[/quote]

As I say, it's generally just for when I'm soloing, but the TS-9B does respond really nicely to changes in input volume, especially if it's run out into a tube amp.