Why become a member? ×

Graham Gouldman Songwriter and Mustard bassist!

MB1

MB1.
Just found one of 10ccs Japanese gig CDs
Feel The Benefit ....
What an underated dude this guy is....Great Bassist!
And formidable Songwriter!....
Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place ill move it?
Needs mentioning!

Great Graham Nash story about Gouldman.

"We had a manager called Michael Cohen, and he owned a tailor shop in Stockport in the north of England that I actually worked at at one point. And he came to us one day and he said, you know, this neighborhood, this woman keeps driving me crazy. She says she has this son who writes songs. Would you do me a favor? Go and, you know, pat him on the head and encourage him and get her off my back, basically.

So we go down to this house, and there's a 14-, 15-year-old kid there, and he's got a guitar, and we were The Hollies. We'd had a couple of hits, and we were, you know, full of ourselves. And we said, OK, kid, what have you got? He picks up his guitar, and he goes: (singing) Bus stop, wet day, she's there, I say...

We knew immediately that we could make a great record of that. So we said, OK, wow, yeah, great, we'll take that song. And we get up to leave. And then one of us said: Have you got anything else? He said, yeah, I have this song, and it goes like this: (singing) Look through any window, yeah. So that was two that we wanted.

And we said, OK, one last time, anything else? He said, I wrote this song this morning for my friend Peter Noone who's singing with this new band Herman's Hermits, and it goes: (singing) No milk today, my love has gone away. This young kid had written three fantastic pop songs. That was a very interesting moment in our lives."

As you say, talented bloke, and 10CC are one of those bands where you know more of their songs than you think.

I had the great pleasure of seeing 10CC do a warm-up gig at Farnham Maltings last December prior to their Xmas tour opening for Quo. Superb evening especially their acapella Verizon of Donna. Great band, memorable songs.

My favourite story about 10cc is from when they were just starting out, and were playing in a crappy social club one night. The MC gets up to introduce them: "Right, well here's a new young band, not my cup of tea quite frankly but anyway... put yer hands together for EYE-OCK!"

I've always thought of GG as a songwriter and musician who just happens to play the bass. He's clearly equally adept on guitar. Still, some wonderful basslines to be found.
I do love 10cc but I do have to be in the mood - sometimes they can be just the wrong side of smug. But I could listen to Kevin Godley singing the phone book, such a beautiful voice from a big hairy man.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

10CC were the first band I ever saw - in 1978, with "Dreadlock Holiday" in the charts. They are still a fantastic live band and I'm off to see them for the 20th(?) time at the Royal Albert Hall later this month. GG is rightly renowned for his incredible songwriting, but his Bass playing ain't too shabby, neither. All of the "classic" era material was recorded using his trusty R!ckenb*cker which sounds glorious. If you only know 10CC for the hits, check out the albums - the best Pop/Rock album of the 70's IMHO was "Sheet Music", but all of the first five albums are essential. Here's the band getting all Proggy with an ace little Bass solo around 9.15...

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xlqS3X-TUo"]<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5xlqS3X-TUo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/url]

Edited by rushbo

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1431293138' post='2769789']
10CC were the first band I ever saw - in 1978, with "Dreadlock Holiday" in the charts. They are still a fantastic live band and I'm off to see them for the 20th(?) time at the Royal Albert Hall later this month. GG is rightly renowned for his incredible songwriting, but his Bass playing ain't too shabby, neither. All of the "classic" era material was recorded using his trusty R!ckenb*cker which sounds glorious. If you only know 10CC for the hits, check out the albums - the best Pop/Rock album of the 70's IMHO was "Sheet Music", but all of the first five albums are essential. Here's the band getting all Proggy with an ace little Bass solo around 9.15...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xlqS3X-TUo
[/quote]

Edited. That's some tasty playing there!