Why become a member? ×

Single pickup vs two

Sambrook

Apologies if this has been covered before.

Two pickups give you 3 distinct tones, with shades of more in between.Is there some advantage to a single pickup? Surely the tones from that 1 pickup would be covered by the 2?

I'm likely missing something fundamental, but that's what you lot are for......

Hmmm. A bass with two pickups will give you what a bass with one pickup has [i]and more[/i], yes. For example, my PJ gives me P and J and then, with the blend, PJ in whichever shade I would like.

Except I use it 100% P about 95% of the time!

I'd tend to concur that a 2 pickup bass will generally cover the tones of two single pickup basses - e.g. a PJ can sound like a P, or a bridge pickup J, or a mix.

It'll all depend on the particular electronics - If the pickups are passive and wired in series or parallel without buffering (like each pickup sent to a DI separately, or sent to a buffered pedal) - I'm sure I read somewhere that they load each other depending on the volume / tone settings.
I know I can hear volume and tone changes when I do so - or I think I can.

I think the advantages of a single pickup are pretty clear: cheaper, simpler to use, and less to go wrong.

Generally all of the above. I would add that it very much depends on position of the pickups. How close is the bridge pickup to the bridge? I had a single pickup bass for a while but never really bonded with it. Played and felt great but the tone I looked for just wasn't in there. Swapped it in a trade for a two pickup bass and there was the tone immediately. Spose it depends on your own taste. If you like a single pickup try some with that pickup in different positions.

I like a single p/up bass as there's less to fuss with, even though they effectively limited tonally. I do own a 2 p/up bass, but I tend to set the blend in one position and leave it there most of the time.

There are to many variables but to keep it brief
If it sounds good and plays good,does it matter and a lot to be said for keep it simple when yer gigging.
I,ve never had anybody say to me you should have had a twin pick up bass tonight or single coils would have sounded better than the humbuckers n stuff like that
Anyway what,s best for metal ?

The placement is more important in a single pickup bass or passive basses. Hence the Precision being so unique and the difference in tone between 60's and 70's Jazzes.

Pickup placement is less important in a 2 or more pickup bass or an active bass because of the additional EQ available. The sound from these basses is more flexible, with more dynamics, and not dependent on the position of the pickups.

I love them all, particularly the Precision.

Don't forget the argument that the string excursion is curtailed by the magnetic pull of all the pickups, whether they are being used or not. So theoretically there could be a difference in tone between a single pickup and 2+ pickups. Almost certainly more noticeabe on skinny 6 strings though.

I like the idea of a single pickup but, as has been said, where it is makes all the difference. Too near the bridge and, for me, it gets too 'honky'. Too near the neck, like an Epiphone EB0 I had, and it gets muddy. I think the P is perfect spot for the sound I like. Yet, having said all that, I like the sound of the P/J or (some) other twin pickup set up when the middle position is selected, which must be aimed pretty much where I find a single to be honky. I wonder why that is?

Here's an article that explains the science behind pickup placement:

[url="http://www.till.com/articles/PickupResponse/"]http://www.till.com/articles/PickupResponse/[/url]

And here's a link to a nifty java applet that shows the frequency response for different pickup positions. Just enter the numbers for scale length, distance from bridge and aperture (use 1" for a J type single coil and 2" for a P type humbucker or soapbar). The freq chart will dynamically change as you enter the numbers. You can also add multiple pickups.

[url="http://www.till.com/articles/PickupResponseDemo/index.html"]http://www.till.com/articles/PickupResponseDemo/index.html[/url]

Here's some pickup positioning data to use (distance from bridge in inches):

Jazz neck (60s) - 6.1
Jazz bridge (60s) - 2.55
Jazz bridge (70s) - 2.16
Precision (57 on) - 5.39 (centreline)
Precision (pre 57 s/c) - 6.56
Stingray - 3.46 (centreline)

Wider aperture pups (eg P/HB type) generate more comb-filtering and frequency cancellation than narrow aperture pups (eg J/SC type). This is why SCs usually sound clearer and punchier than HBs.

Adding multiple pickups also introduces more comb-filtering and frequency cancellation which is why single pup basses often sound clearer and more 'direct' than multiple pups which tend towards having a more scooped sound (with both pups on).

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1431365299' post='2770542']
I like the idea of a single pickup but, as has been said, where it is makes all the difference. Too near the bridge and, for me, it gets too 'honky'. Too near the neck, like an Epiphone EB0 I had, and it gets muddy. I think the P is perfect spot for the sound I like. Yet, having said all that, I like the sound of the P/J or (some) other twin pickup set up when the middle position is selected, which must be aimed pretty much where I find a single to be honky. I wonder why that is?
[/quote]

When it comes to PJ or similar 2 pickup arrangements - the P or middle pickup is usually dominant in terms of output - and even when it isn't the case (where the J is overwound or very close to the strings) the J sound is fattened up by the middle pickup - which helps it sound less nasal. Also the mid scoop due to the pickups comb filtering (I think that's the effects name, not certain) helps "clear" the honky mid frequencies.
Hence a PJ or JJ generally sounds scooped rather than nasal with both pickups on full. I think this is in large part due to the pickups being wired in parallel on most 2 pickup basses. Series pickups usually have a lot more mids - e.g. series vs. parallel setting on an L2500 I had.

EDIT: ikay just posted a more informative post - see above!

Edited by PlungerModerno