Why become a member? ×

B SIdes

Bilbo

Remember when singles were 7" and we all had the pleasure of an unexpected b-side? Occasionally, you would get what they called a 'double A side' with the two faces alternating in air-play etc but, mostly, the b-side was an album track or even a track not available anywhere else.

A couple I remember being quite impressed by were 'Own Up, Take A Look At Yourself' by The Sweet and, a song that I have loved for years now, 'Evidence of Autumn' by Genesis (b-side to 'Misunderstanding'). There will be others but I always remember thinking that, often, the b-sides were the better songs.

B-side to Bowie's Knock on Wood was a live version of Panic in Detroit, this was many years before it was ever officially released as part of the expanded David Live CD. His version of Knock on Wood was nothing special, the version of Panic in Detroit was great.

Featured a fine bass flourish by Herbie Flowers to boot..

[quote name='Old Man Riva' timestamp='1430998255' post='2766677']
B-side to Bowie's Knock on Wood was a live version of Panic in Detroit, this was many years before it was ever officially released as part of the expanded David Live CD. His version of Knock on Wood was nothing special, the version of Panic in Detroit was great.

Featured a fine bass flourish by Herbie Flowers to boot..
[/quote]
My fave boss track queen bitch was a b side. Was it rebel rebel?

The Sweet's B-sides were always excellent.

I'd also recommend "Home Is The Range" from The Comsat Angels (B-side of Total War) and the flip side of most of the singles from Freur and Underworld Mk1 where they were a lot more experimental while still (mostly) retaining their pop sensibilities (and you can see where a lot of the ideas that later resurfaced in the better known version of Underworld originally came from).

There's a Facebook group called [url="https://www.facebook.com/groups/240098362684435/"]Besides it's a B-side[/url] that's well worth following.

Edited by BigRedX

Yes The Sweet were always something of a schizo band with a much heavier side below the (often written for them by Chinn & Chapman) pop singles. They could be almost Deep Purple-esque at their rockiest. If you see a cheap copy pick up the [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/music/dp/B00000J9RR"]'Hard Centres' [/url]compilation for some less commercial stuff.

Edited by KevB

There are some delightfully mental B-sides in the Gillan back catalog which have subsequently ended up on the extended CD versions of their album releases. My particular favourite is Your Sister's On My List.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1430997039' post='2766656']
Remember when singles were 7" and we all had the pleasure of an unexpected b-side? Occasionally, you would get what they called a 'double A side' with the two faces alternating in air-play etc but, mostly, the b-side was an album track or even a track not available anywhere else.

A couple I remember being quite impressed by were 'Own Up, Take A Look At Yourself' by The Sweet and, a song that I have loved for years now, 'Evidence of Autumn' by Genesis (b-side to 'Misunderstanding'). There will be others but I always remember thinking that, often, the b-sides were the better songs.
[/quote]Nice one. Genesis were one of those prolific bands who did tons of b-sides.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1431016454' post='2766964']
Strange Town - The Jam. The B side was Butterfly Collector. There are a lot of Jam records that had great B sides
[/quote]

Didn't the Jam make quite a big thing about not putting loads of singles on their albums? Thereby treating the single as an important release in its own right, none of those dodgy instrumental/dub b sides for them!

Some great shouts on here...

Bowie was an odd one when it came to B-sides. Rebel Rebel and Queen Bitch are a great pairing; Drive in Saturday and Round and Round aren't - Drive in Saturday a fantastic piece of music, lyrically up there with his best and musically sublime, and Round and Round being an awful cover of a Chuck Berry number.

The Small Faces had an instrumental track Grow Your Own as a B-side to Hey Girl. Grow Your Own would be enough for a lot of bands to build a career around, for the Small Faces it was a B-side!

And I'd completely forgotten about The Skids' TV Stars. Great stuff.

An equally odd B-side from the punk era was Jonathan Richman's Roadrunner - you had Roadrunner (Once) as the A-side and Roadrunner (Twice) as the B-side. Turn over the single for essentially the same song, but, erm, different.. Peaches and Go Buddy Go was a great double A-side single.

Also, anyone remember the T Rex's Solid Gold Easy Action B-side - Born to Boogie is the B-side but with a Christmas message from Marc Bolan at the start of the track.

Edited by Old Man Riva