Why become a member? ×

BB King in 'home hospice care'

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1430644049' post='2763225']
Always seems like a genuinely lovely man.
[/quote]

Indeed. I've just read one of the many biographies of Jimi Hendrix (the one by Sharon Lawrence). The book states that at the time the majority of black blues guitarists cold-shouldered Hendrix and some were openly hostile. However, BB went out of his way to encourage Hendrix and actually gave him one of his guitars. So it says in the book.

My friend "pounced" in a hotel foyer in New Orleans. BB was clearly late and in a hurry, but stopped everything to pose for the photo and have a brief chat.

By all accounts he is one of the good guys.

I have seen BB at the Hammersmith Odeon and Albert Hall dozens of times throughout the years. Always a great show.

It is very sad news that his health is finally failing.

There was a good BBC doc on him a few years back, grew up dirt poor like so many blues men of his generation. Given shed loads of money back to the needy in the area where he came from (I think there is some sort of formal foundation started by him but he doesn't make a song and dance of it). Came across as very likable indeed. The recent program doesn't seem to be available on BBC site but there's this from the archive, 1972:
[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p01m5j5g/sounding-out-bb-king"]http://www.bbc.co.uk...ing-out-bb-king[/url]

Edited by KevB

And let's not forget a lot of those old blues guys have an affinity with the UK because there was a time when their music was all but shunned on their home turf and they struggled to get gigs. Bands like the Stones and others of their ilk gave exposure to the old US blues men here and gave their careers a new lease of life.

I met him when he played at Rickwood Field here in Birmingham (Alabama). He drank straight whisky out of a glass while the left-handed bass player smoked a hand-rolled cigarette . B got some nice sustaining feedback with a big Standel amp. It had 215s and a solid state amp in one big cabinet.Later he had several eating establishments and at least one night club.

I've had the honour of going to one of his concerts back in the 90's.
First two numbers the King and the band were standing - and then the chairs came in on stage - not only for him - but for the entire band.
They kicked ass - It was a wonderful concert.

Saw BB at Manchester Apollo in the late 70's. Band came on and did a couple of instrumentals, swinging like hell.
During the third, BB walks on with his guitar on and lead in his hand, plugs it into his amp (Twin or Lab series L5, I forget) and plays one note.....the audience goes ape. Pure class! Great gig a true legend.
Lets hope he pulls through.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1430668372' post='2763549']
He's on that very short list of once in a life time performers.

Blue
[/quote]

+1

I saw him at Hammersmith, mid 80's IIRC.. He was a fantastic performer; had the audience in the palm of his hand from start to finish!

• 2 weeks later...