Why become a member? ×

The anxiety - now NBD

inate_hex

So, wife is at work and I'm left alone with eBay. All of a sudden a very nice American Standard Jazz bass pops up at a nice price. I just had to click 'buy it now'. Wife is due home any minute, she is gonna kill me! Any advice from anybody who has been in this situation? I will update this as a NBD thread tomorrow when I go and pick it up - that is if I'm still breathing!

Edited by inate_hex

Why is she going to kill you? Have you seriously compromised the household cashflow for the month? If she's going to kill you just because you've bought a bass then to be honest the fact a bass is coming into the house is the least of your worries.

a. Hide it under the bed and when it is finally discovered you say you've had it for ages and that you told her about yonks ago.

b. 'Fess up, but say it was too good a deal not to get it and you'll be selling it on here at a profit.

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1429973989' post='2756861']
Why is she going to kill you? Have you seriously compromised the household cashflow for the month? If she's going to kill you just because you've bought a bass then to be honest the fact a bass is coming into the house is the least of your worries.
[/quote]

This.

Well, after all my worrying she was fine with it. I already put a bass up for sale this morning and told her it was a deal not to be missed. Although I suspect I will pay for it somehow. Now I can look forward to picking it up tomorrow.

[quote name='alittlebitrobot' timestamp='1429973902' post='2756860']
Me and my long-term robo-partner have completely independent finances...
[/quote]

Same for me and Mrs C.... Both spend our money on whatever we like, no questions asked, no explanations needed.

Edited by CamdenRob

My misses says "you need the right tool for the job and your gigging every week so you need it" same with amps.
Try the vanity angle-you wouldn,t want me turning up and not looking the bit and sounding crap would you now when all your friends turn up for a gig ,you wouldn,t play in a Rush tribute band without a rickenbacker and Orange amps n cabs would you and the jazz word is banned thank you.

Oh yeah, Mrs T just sees stuff turn up and does the 'it's your money' thing.

I've not spent the food money for the month or the kids swimming lesson fees.

I think when I said I was getting a tax refund she expected A new pair of shoes or something, oh wait, I did that bit.

NEW BASS! Yay!

[quote name='inate_hex' timestamp='1429984165' post='2756970']
Well, after all my worrying she was fine with it. I already put a bass up for sale this morning and told her it was a deal not to be missed. Although I suspect I will pay for it somehow. Now I can look forward to picking it up tomorrow.
[/quote]They are more reasonable than we often give them credit for. NBD, woo hoo! Remember, now the deed is done and past the Mrs
:useless:

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1430005938' post='2757140']
Yeah, there's a £1500 Yamaha turning up on Wednesday I've no idea how to explain.

😐
[/quote]More details and see above ;)

Just drove a 4 and half hour round-trip to pick up my new bass. I've give it a once-over and played it for about half an hour. It plays superb and sounds just like a jazz bass should. There are a couple of minor dings but it is a used instrument and I got it for a bargain. It's a 2013 Fender American Standard Jazz.