Why become a member? ×

Cab for markbass lm tube?

Guinness21

I've set my sights on a markbass little mark tube 500w version, think it sounds fantastic! Now I just need to sort out a cab. To date these are the cabs in contention:
- Bergantino HD 212
- Makrbass 104HF
- GK Neo 410
- Ampeg SVT 410

The HD 212 is the top of my budget I think, heard good things about the CN212 but can't afford it. I play all kinds of rock, from bluesy and classic to heavy and grunge. I play a stingray hh. I believe the HD 212 has a really big low end, not sure if I need this with the stingray's already-big low end. The same can be said for the SVT. Also, I've heard people say the Markbass 104HF is a good cab but not suited for rock.

So what do you think? Which of these would sound good for rock, and sound good with the markbass amp head? Which one would you get? Are there any other amps I should consider? Thanks :D

I own several markbass 500w heads and use a 4 ohm std104hf which delivers any tone you want it to. MB gear tends to be fairly transparent so if you want SVT tones you will need something like a tech21 vt pedal. I have a pair of ae112 which are great but for more power the 104hf is the best IMO. (Not for small pub gigs unless you want to blow the windows out though! )

Edited by Sparky Mark

I like my LM Tube 800 with my Barefaced Midget (not the current gen), probably on the small sides for your needs but if you can scrape the money for a Berg then maybe consider a larger Barefaced as that would give you something small and portable for small gigs but loud and bassy for larger shows

Edited by d-basser

Having two 1x12 or 2x10 cabs would sound the same and give you flexibility (and easier to carry). I have gone to that arrangement and only use the 410 for marquee gigs where only vocals are going through the pa.

Edited by Sparky Mark

Well to explan the situation fully, my dad is retiring and hasd very selflessly decided to buy a new amp rig for both of us to use. He occasionally jams with friends, whereas I'm in bands that gig regularly. His idea was to buy the rig for the both of us to use, with him unlikely to ever gig, then long term I use it. At the time this was suggested I wasn't earning so couldn't upgrade my amp/cab by myself. Now however I am, just. We were going to buy the lm tube with 1 traveler 121, then I'd buy a second traveler for larger gigs. But now he's decided that he wants a traveler 151, which changes things.

Would I be better off with the bergantino hd 212, does it shift less air?

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1429611231' post='2753077']
I use Markbass cabs and prefer them to any other mass produced ones I've tried. I really don't like Ampeg any more! To compare the two, MB will be insanely louder, and you will actually get some upper mids/treble through over the guitars and drums :D
[/quote]

I'm (unsuprisingly) with Chris here. MB cabs can get some stick but I find them a good match for my LM3 head. A pair of NY121s works very nicely up to the point where you'd be DI'ing anyway. Not sure if the 151 would be needed but I like to use matched cabs in pairs YMMV.

[quote name='Sparky Mark' timestamp='1429618332' post='2753233']
Unless you are a committed ceramic magnet fan I would definitely recommend going for neo loaded cabs, especially if considering 212 or 410 as they are much lighter to move around.
[/quote]

I know, but I can't afford the Bergantino CN212. If I could, I'd probably have gone out and bought one already.

I know barefaced are good and light, but it really annoys me that they don't have inset handles. What about the gk neo 212? I could buy one, then could get a second and stack for big gigs in the future?

*EDIT* I don't think a 4x10 would be too much actually, I don't always have to have everything turned up to 11.

Edited by Guinness21

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1429622609' post='2753308']I know barefaced are good and light, but it really annoys me that they don't have inset handles. [/quote]

Aaargghhhh, not again!!!!!

;)

Pick one up some time (as in literally pick up, not buy, though you can buy one if you like!) I guarantee it'll feel a damn sight less annoying to move than any other equally loud cab (which will almost certainly be larger and much heavier).

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1429627634' post='2753389']
Aaargghhhh, not again!!!!!

;)

Pick one up some time (as in literally pick up, not buy, though you can buy one if you like!) I guarantee it'll feel a damn sight less annoying to move than any other equally loud cab (which will almost certainly be larger and much heavier).
[/quote]

The big twin 2 looks tasty, tbf I haven't picked one up before, I do have a fender rumble 75 w with a similar handle, and it's a right pain to carry cos it moves around so much.

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1429628391' post='2753394']I do have a fender rumble 75 w with a similar handle, and it's a right pain to carry cos it moves around so much.[/quote]

That's one handle on the top though, not one on each side. And it doesn't have wheels. And it's heavier.

A Super Twin will play louder than every other cab mentioned in this thread. And most people love its tone. Rocktastic. :D

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1429629225' post='2753407']
That's one handle on the top though, not one on each side. And it doesn't have wheels. And it's heavier.

A Super Twin will play louder than every other cab mentioned in this thread. And most people love its tone. Rocktastic. :D
[/quote]

Hmmm, interesting (he says stroking a cat like a bond villain). So does the super twin have wheels?

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1429629455' post='2753413']Hmmm, interesting (he says stroking a cat like a bond villain). So does the super twin have wheels?[/quote]

Yes, we have tiltback casters on the Super Twin, Big Twin 2 and Retro Six10. We seem to be very bad at telling people about that though!

[quote name='Sparky Mark' timestamp='1429631834' post='2753437']
I have found that using large cabs like my 410 in small venues sometimes doesn't work as well as smaller cabs driven a bit harder. Don't know why?
[/quote]

What would you do in my situation then? Get the barefaced super twin? Get one GK Neo 212, then buy a second for larger gigs? Or push my dad to get a markbass traveler 121 and buy a second myself?

I think 2x 212s would rarely be needed. One 212 would probably be loud enough for most situations and you will most likely have PA available at larger venues. If you like markbass (and I do! ) then 2 x 210 or 2 x 121H would make a flexible and loud rig. I just prefer schlepping smaller cabs.