Why become a member? ×

Cab for markbass lm tube?

Guinness21

I wouldn't discount TKS but you'll need to get to BassGear which is about an hr or less south of Bass Direct, I'd say.
IMO, the very interesting thing about them is that not only do they make great cabs, they do both ceramic and NEO ranges
and you could get 2 S112's for your budget... which I rated above the SL and CN. I agree, you do need to hear the
Vandelkley as well...
A 212 is going to be heavier, of course, but the ceramic s112's come in at around 10kg

Of course, with all these shops, call ahead to see what they will have at the time of your visit..especially if you make
a special day of it..

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1430730034' post='2763983']
I wouldn't discount TKS but you'll need to get to BassGear which is about an hr or less south of Bass Direct, I'd say.
IMO, the very interesting thing about them is that not only do they make great cabs, they do both ceramic and NEO ranges
and you could get 2 S112's for your budget... which I rated above the SL and CN. I agree, you do need to hear the
Vandelkley as well...
A 212 is going to be heavier, of course, but the ceramic s112's come in at around 10kg

Of course, with all these shops, call ahead to see what they will have at the time of your visit..especially if you make
a special day of it..
[/quote]

The S212 is a good cab and the addition of the 6" mid driver in the S2126 makes it really smooth and has, unsurprisingly, great mids :)

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1429629225' post='2753407']
A Super Twin will play louder than every other cab mentioned in this thread.
[/quote]

Knowing what a whiz you are with the physics of cabs, but also an exponent of 'real-world' listening tests as often being more important than just 'numbers', I'm guessing you've been running some head to head tests of your cabs against those of the competitors mentioned?

I'm sure people would be really interested to hear your conclusions :)

Edited by molan

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1430730034' post='2763983']
Vandelkley as well...

a special day of it..
[/quote]

I'm not going to drive to Bass Gear, that's practically driving to london from where I am. Bass Direct is just the other side of birmingham.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1430741102' post='2764144']
Knowing what a whiz you are with the physics of cabs, but also an exponent of 'real-world' listening tests as often being more important than just 'numbers', I'm guessing you've been running some head to head tests of your cabs against those of the competitors mentioned?

[b]I'm sure people would be really interested to hear your conclusions[/b] :)
[/quote]

Well, I wouldn't tbh..... I've heard a few of these cabs and I just don't get the tone goals
of the people who used them.. All I seem to hear is BASS which drowns out the mix and
also kills the tone of the bass. Of course, this is the fault of the people that used them,
but then I also think that is the desired tone brief anyway...

I do concede that I am not a fan of small units for a discerning sound anyway ...and that sort of thinking
definitely doesn't work for me...see the '210 loud enough' thread, but it also depends, muchly, on
what you expect soundwise.. Volume is not a problem from small amps and cabs...
but tone definitely is, IMO.
This is not a one cab issue... I feel all the small units ( I've heard ) 'struggle' but then for plenty of people, there is no
'issue' at all....
I'd like to know what they are trying to achieve, tbh...

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1430770300' post='2764477']

Well, I wouldn't tbh..... I've heard a few of these cabs and I just don't get the tone goals
of the people who used them.. All I seem to hear is BASS which drowns out the mix and
also kills the tone of the bass. Of course, this is the fault of the people that used them,
but then I also think that is the desired tone brief anyway...

I do concede that I am not a fan of small units for a discerning sound anyway ...and that sort of thinking
definitely doesn't work for me...see the '210 loud enough' thread, but it also depends, muchly, on
what you expect soundwise.. Volume is not a problem from small amps and cabs...
but tone definitely is, IMO.
This is not a one cab issue... I feel all the small units ( I've heard ) 'struggle' but then for plenty of people, there is no
'issue' at all....
I'd like to know what they are trying to achieve, tbh...
[/quote]

Good point. I've done gigs with small combos before, which have been loud enough at a push, but you take what you're given in terms of tone.

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1430773471' post='2764513']
Good point. I've done gigs with small combos before, which have been loud enough at a push, but you take what you're given in terms of tone.
[/quote]

I mentioned this elsewhere.... I watched a whole bill of bands at a local Beer Festival recently and they all shipped in
a backline and played at various volumes. Taking into account what the bass player could and wanted to play and
how much he wanted or needed to be heard, plus the sound and technique he could employ and not one of them
had a bass sound you could really hear across the range. It may have been correct that the player wasn't
concerned about what you could hear as the vibe was more important and didn't have the technical facility either
anyway... but I was left thinking what was he trying to achieve and what process lead the other...?
Did he think this is what I want tio achieve and therefore this is the sound I need/want or did he think that is all
I can handle and this sound gets it done...??

The one common denominator was, IMO, the rigs were small and compact... and handled the bass well enough,
but none of them produced a great sound..they all were, degrees of compromises. Some were very easy to live with
for some people, and some would have been a huge struggle for others. I can't say I would have been happy with any of them
and I wonder if the bass players were either.. I should have worked out how to ask them that question... but really, the demands
that a plectrum type players asks of his kit are very different to other players. I'm trying not to say better here, just different.
There were 2 finger style bass players as well.... I felt with the rigs they had and the sounds they dialled up, some of them were
really struggling to play what they wanted to play... and that is number one situation to avoid, IMO.

In my band we play with many other bands and the ones that sound good are invariably the ones with bigger gear. They`re not louder than the others, but the sound is usually much better - maybe just better thought out perhaps. Usually though it`s the guitars, those with bigger valve amps sound great whereas the smaller ones, especially the amp-modelling combos, well, just nah!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1430858405' post='2765391']Usually though it`s the guitars, those with bigger valve amps sound great whereas the smaller ones, especially the amp-modelling combos, well, just nah![/quote]

My main band 'borrowed' a guitarist recently (our rhythm guy is out with tendinitis :( )... plays a mesa Dual Rectifier sounds utterly amazing. Another band one of the guys has a small fender modelling thing and it's loud but not nice.

Last practice I took a lot of bass out of my sound (head has bass, low-mid, high-mid and treble). Turned the bass down from centre to ~50% (so -8db @ 40Hz) and the sound was incredible - so much punch. Will see how that eq translates to the barefaced cab but it worked wonders in making the bass sound more present in the practise mix. maybe more lows aren't always the answer...