Why become a member? ×

Warwick for heavy stuff.

Doman

Hi

This is topic mostly for resident metalheads ;)

Recently i've become a bass player for second band, and since i'm staying there for good, I'm in need of a 4 string bass for this band.
Right now i'm using ZON Sonus 6 there, but despite downright awesome sound, the 6 strings are overkill for the lines for this band (actually just B and E would do ;) ), it's heavy as hell, etc.
Music is metalcore, djenty stuff.

I've recorded with these guys some time ago (as a fill in for their bass player), and they really liked the Warwick Corvette std 5 I had at that time. I don't have it anymore (shame on me, shouldn't have sold her), so I came with an idea of buying a 4 string warwick for this band. Requirements are 4 strings, working well with BEAD tuning. Non MM pickups (don't like them at all).

Basically i consider two options, either don't overcomplicate things and just try to get a corvette 4 string, or try to get a Dirty Blonde special edition (quite a few people recommended them).
I owned a Streamer Ltd 2008 (cheers, Bassmachine ;) ) and it was simply awesome, im quite fond of the warwick special edition quality and willing to drop some more money for it.

[b]tl;dr[/b] Warwick for BEAD tuning: Get a corvette 4 std or try to hit some special edition like dirty blonde or something.

Halp.;)

I think Warwicks are right up there for metal, the sound just seems to work so well under a mass of distorted guitars, underpinning yet still being heard due to that unique top end zing you get.

Personally I'd go for a thumb but the corvette would do just fine and they tend to be a bit cheaper.

I reckon you could get away with any Warwick to be honest, although Thumbs do cut through anything and everything VERY nicely.
The only problem, at least for me with the Thumbs is the reach, if you're tall enough, or are happy to wear the bass low, they're brilliant though.
There's a few for sale right now on the forum too, unfortunately you just missed a bargain price on a Dirty Blonde :(

There's always this though, doesn't get more metal >> http://basschat.co.uk/topic/257336-warwick-vampyre-sn-4-price-drop-l850-ovno-shipped/page__p__2751447

Eude

Yes Warwick's are great for the heavy stuff!

I'm in a similar boat with a corvette 5er but I prefer playing 4s so will be getting a Warwick 4 string at some point this year & there's nothing wrong with the shape of the corvette but I think you'd may as well get a different one if you can.

The thumb does really cut through in this kind of music but they're not very good for playing sat down (for me) - not a huge problem but I'm quite lazy after a long day of work so often practice sat down at home.

Streamer st2's seem to be popular in metal. Or you could go "out-there" with the vampyr! I'd really like an infinity but they hardly ever come up second hand & then they're usually 5 strings.

Don't know if this of help, but in my old metal band I had a four string Mayones Be4 with EMG single coils tuned BEAD which worked very well for that band. As I see you're in Poland, I'm guessing the used market for Mayones out there is pretty good?

Thanks for the replies. :)

I've had a thumb bo4, didn't quite like the sound of the ovangkol body. I was attracted to Dirty Blonde (pun not intended) due to completely different set of woods and pickups.
I guess corvette, we got them pretty cheap here and there is no problem with resale if things dont work out. Band was content with that sound.

Vampyre is a little over the top with its shape :D

The streamer on bass direct is lovely, but the price is a little to high, i quess. :D

If you like the Zon tone then a 4 string might also work - probably more expensive and harder to find than a Warwick though :(

Some Spectors also work well for hard rock.

If you are ok with fan frets then a Dingwall could be interesting. I've never been sure the fan idea adds that much benefit on a 4 string but if you're tuning down to B then it could be quite cool :)

I've been inspired by Jon Stockman's tone lately, look him up on YouTube. He plays a 6 string Warwick with dual humbuckers through a Darkglass B7K and it sounds monstrously heavy.

I've always been looking at single coil jazz style basses for these grindy sounds, but now I believe double 'buckers are where it's at. I've been investigating a range of low-midrange basses lately from Warwick, Spector, Schecter, Traben and G&L. Any of these will deliver, especially when put through the B3K/B7K, which has now become the de facto preamp pedal for the djenty bassist!

The Warwick Rockbass Streamer Std is my first step in these experiments, it gets the sound although the pickups are really low output which I'm currently fixing with a boost pedal. A Traben Chaos is next up with its dual MM pickups. You say you don't like MM humbuckers, but try a bass with two of them and you might change your mind!

You should check out the Dingwall NG-2 too, especially if you're a fan of Periphery!

Edited by dannybuoy

Corvette gets my vote at the moment. Just seems able to do most things - have had mine doing the Gibson EB3 thing through to (and this surprised me) upright bass type sounds. Great thing about corvettes is the J size pickups - alternatives e.g. EMG, DiMarzio are straightforward.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1429560557' post='2752690']
+1 to Warwicks. They are a bit unfashionable at the moment for no apparent reason whatsoever...thus the second hand price makes them a steal.

[/quote]

Understatement alert :) The German Corvette that went for £375 on here was just incredible. Makes quite a few basses look seriously overpriced. Makes the buy once, buy right, buy for life much more straightforward.

The dirty blonde thumb bass I found to sound a little too tame and bright for super aggressive music if I'm honest.

I'd be looking at a Pro series corvette or a 2nd hand one on here (if there is any...I've been tactically avoiding marketplace).

I'm currently using a Thumb NT 5 with a Darkglass B3K and can get some seriously metal sounding tones.

Cameron's Dirty Blonde belonged to me once upon a time & I fully agree with him. The Dirty Blonde is quite lightweight and has none of the growl the standard Warwicks have. I have a Streamer Stage 2 which I have at C standard tuning and it's a complete evil monster. Perfect for heavy stuff in my opinion.

+1 for both Warwick and Spector for heavy sound. The growl on my 5 string spectors is amazing!

I also agree it's amazing the price Warwicks are going for at the moment. Was doing a set up lesson with my bass teachers and he was blown away by the quality of my German made Corvette. Interestingly the bass he was least interested in was my USA Fender Jazz, really great bass to play, and does the passive Jazz bass job brilliantly, but in his eyes the build quality on the Warwick was head an shoulders above it (and I do agree with him).

P.S. the bass that most caught his eye was my ACG as he'd never seen one before and he thought it was amazing.

I use Spector NS5H2 tuned to A std in my other band (but more techdeath/thrash instead of djenty stuff) and it works like charm.

Cameronj279:
I've played Thumb NT6 for quite some time, and actually didn't fall in love with it. Something was not right even with kemper/axefx II and darkglass.

Anyway, thanks guys, i settled on '97 Streamer LX. :)

Edited by Doman

• 1 month later...