Why become a member? ×

Lightweight basses (again)

tom1946

Squire Bullet Bass - 8lbs has proper mustang split pickups and a full 34 inch scale

If you want to go lighter - Fender HMT - 7lbs has lace sensor pickups, a bridge piezo and pre-amp and a full 34 inch scale

Edited by gareth

How about a Godin Acoustibass - precision shaped. Piezo and Fender fidelitron pickups. Just over 6 lbs in weight. Like a Fender AE / HMT but better quality, made in Canada. Follow the link to see it for sale.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/258312-godin-acoustibass-ae-very-sensible-offers-considered-as-this-has-to-go/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]

Edited by 6feet7

Wow, thanks for the ideas folks, some great advice there!

That HMT looks amazing, please sell it to me ..... NOW! :D Also love the idea of the Godin, that would probably be my first choice at the moment but I should explore possibilities with my Lyte first, bit nervous of going into the rats nest that is the wiring :lol:

Used to sell Dano's at my shop, struggled to get any of them with a low action.....maybe worth another look.

Played about 16 songs in church this morning and I'm pretty crippled right now :(

How are you Karl m'boy?

Edited by tom1946

Just had a look at your Godin, I have massive respect for them as my electric guitar is Godin, best I've ever tried. Your bass has had a lot done and it must sound tremendous but it has a rosewood neck which I can't get used to. It's one of the reasons my P Lyte is still in its bag :( The weight of yours is ideal.

[quote name='6feet7' timestamp='1428256942' post='2739675']
How about a Godin Acoustibass - precision shaped. Piezo and Fender fidelitron pickups. Just over 6 lbs in weight. Like a Fender AE / HMT but better quality, made in Canada. Follow the link to see it for sale.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/258312-godin-acoustibass-ae-very-sensible-offers-considered-as-this-has-to-go/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]
[/quote]

How do you know the Godin is better quality? In what way?

May I put it to you that you don't, it's just a sales ploy on your behalf. If you think I'm being a bit snotty, well, apologies, but I get sick and tired of people making statements they can not back up. If you delete your bit of drivel, I will delete my bit of drivel.

I've only played 2 Japanese HMT's, one I owned for several years.
IMO, the quality was excellent.

I'm fine Tom, thanks, fingers crossed for you sir!

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1428337323' post='2740363']

How do you know the Godin is better quality? In what way?

May I put it to you that you don't, it's just a sales ploy on your behalf. If you think I'm being a bit snotty, well, apologies, but I get sick and tired of people making statements they can not back up. If you delete your bit of drivel, I will delete my bit of drivel.

I've only played 2 Japanese HMT's, one I owned for several years.
IMO, the quality was excellent.

I'm fine Tom, thanks, fingers crossed for you sir!
[/quote]

I've owned two as well, so please don't start getting snotty with me. The Fenders felt flimsier. They didn't stay in tune as well due to the necks constantly moving, the piezo pickup needed the cafe Walter alteration before they sounded any good and the bridge needed breaking half way along so that you got an even note volume (none of which needs to be done to the Godin). This has been brought up before. If you have an issue you can say things in a much nicer way otherwise all that is going to happen is that people get fed up with the slagging off and then everyone either doesn't post anything at all (which is happening) or just leave, thereby making what is supposed to be something enjoyable a drag.
PS. If you read Tom's post he also said that a Godin electric he'd played was the best he'd ever tried.
This post is not the place for your snottiness.

Edited by 6feet7

are like.... well I won't go there.
My Godin is a solid bodied electric guitar and it's fab.

I have been contacted by a member who is selling an ACG graft P/J fretted bass with a maple board that weighs just 7lbs and that is ideal for me. Getting it on Thursday and looking forward to it.

Thanks for all your help guys, it's very much appreciated.
In the fullness of time I will get an Elwood 4A red custom because it looks bloomin' amazin'!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1428426713' post='2741183']
Glad to hear that you have your GAS sorted, but what about your back?

;)

Sounds to me like you would benefit from doing something about your back problem rather than simply buying a lighter bass.

Just saying ...
[/quote]

Quite.
This book has really helped me get things moving again along with my physio and rehab (no, not THAT kind of rehab ;)). It shows you what's happening with your back and some excellent exercises. Forward by Prince Charles no less.
Doing 5mins of these exercises morning and night along with trying to keep the weight off has changed my world. The lightweight bass is just the cherry on top. I can now stand up and play again! Whoop Whoop!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sarah-Keys-Back-Sufferers-Bible/dp/0091814944

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1428427427' post='2741189']
Quite.
This book has really helped me get things moving again along with my physio and rehab (no, not THAT kind of rehab ;)). It shows you what's happening with your back and some excellent exercises. Forward by Prince Charles no less.
Doing 5mins of these exercises morning and night along with trying to keep the weight off has changed my world. The lightweight bass is just the cherry on top. I can now stand up and play again! Whoop Whoop!

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sarah-Keys-Back-Sufferers-Bible/dp/0091814944"]http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/0091814944[/url]
[/quote]
Just ordered that...many thanks for the heads up!

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1428437771' post='2741318']

Just ordered that...many thanks for the heads up!
[/quote]

Hey my pleasure! I'm sure you'll find something in there to help you. Everyone would - it covers a lot of ground. 😃

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1428426713' post='2741183']
Glad to hear that you have your GAS sorted, but what about your back?

;)

Sounds to me like you would benefit from doing something about your back problem rather than simply buying a lighter bass.

Just saying ...
[/quote]

I think you've said this before young man and my reply is the same.

I have a condition that no amount of exercise or books is going to fix so a light bass is the only way that I can carry on playing. I appreciate you are all trying to help but for reasons that I'm not going into on a public forum what you suggest won't hack it for me.

thanks and no offence meant B)

Glad the bass is sorted Tom, nice one, enjoy.
Now that you are, why not keep an eye out for some of the others mentioned, or indeed put out an appeal on Basschat, so that you can try out some of the other suggestions when you are not under time constraints.
For instance, they may be a member in Middlesbrough with something like a Hohner Jack, etc. As has been mentioned, it's not always about weight and some headstocks can bring about relatively big downforce.
My apologies to you for my earlier thread derail, you know what my high horse and I are like :ph34r: :mellow: :lol:
All the best Tom.
Cheers
Karl.
Edited for spelling as usual!

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1428472479' post='2741513']
I think you've said this before young man and my reply is the same.

I have a condition that no amount of exercise or books is going to fix so a light bass is the only way that I can carry on playing. I appreciate you are all trying to help but for reasons that I'm not going into on a public forum what you suggest won't hack it for me.

thanks and no offence meant B)
[/quote]

[/Evangelical]

:)