Why become a member? ×

NBD Look matey, somebody had to........

karlfer

Many thanks chaps.
I've hit the daft problem that I now have three fabulous basses to gig.
I've done the Alembic, Rick, Custom Shop, SEI and others, yet these three fabulous, playable, giggable basses are all Mexican Fenders.
My Cabronita will also become the same when the new jazz dimension neck arrives from Warmoth (eventually).
So, guess I will just have to rotate gigs with them, but tbh, I would happily just use the Road Worn every gig. Yet I do't get on with Rosewood boards :blink: :unsure: :rolleyes: :lol:

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1429256179' post='2749643']
...I've hit the daft problem that I now have three fabulous basses to gig. I've done the Alembic, Rick, Custom Shop, SEI and others, yet these three fabulous, playable, giggable basses are all Mexican Fenders. ...I would happily just use the Road Worn every gig. Yet I do't get on with Rosewood boards...
[/quote]

After years of bass shenanigans, I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that I actually [i]need [/i]only [i]one [/i]bass.
The others are superfluous and represent the effects of consumer capitalism. Comrade. Thpp! :P

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1429262657' post='2749732']
After years of bass shenanigans, I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that I actually [i]need [/i]only [i]one [/i]bass.
The others are superfluous and represent the effects of consumer capitalism. Comrade. Thpp! :P
[/quote]

You could be right!
I'd find it pretty hard to settle on just one now. Years ago I had no problem. I guess I got caught up in all that capitalism in the end :(

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1429262920' post='2749736']
You could be right!
I'd find it pretty hard to settle on just one now. Years ago I had no problem. I guess I got caught up in all that capitalism in the end :(
[/quote]

I used the same bass for 34 years perfectly happily, then I discovered BassChat five years ago... and the madness began.
I'm seriously considering going back to one bass and what's more, that same one bass... :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1429263128' post='2749737']
I used the same bass for 34 years perfectly happily, then I discovered BassChat five years ago... and the madness began.
I'm seriously considering going back to one bass and what's more, that same one bass... :)
[/quote]

BassChat has a lot to answer for :)
Start a new trend for just having one bass :) wish I could join you in that but love the vibe I get off all my different basses.

It's all a bit as discreet says really.
I got to the stage where I only wanted to gig my FSR. One gig, a punter came up and said that bass was like an extension of my arm.
I chose not to take that as I was a knuckle scraper!

Then along came the Road Worn. I'd had an itch to try one EVEN though they are the hated rosewood.
Ya know what??? I get upset putting it down :o.

To a great extent, all the others are just to fill the rack in my back room now :rolleyes: (cue discreet smut)

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1429263128' post='2749737']
[/quote]

£11k Fodera?

I'll get me coat...

[quote name='Lynottfan' timestamp='1429219484' post='2749491']
I hope the KKK don't take your baby away!
[/quote]

Missed this thread, sorry about that karlfer :(
Yes, I'm of that "certain age" as must be Lynottfan, for that great quote! :)

I simply had to try one of these, so went to do so a short while back
I also like the look of this bass, and the Ramones are still played from time to time in my household

Although I thought the bass was pretty good overall, and better than another Mex P in the shop
I found a few niggles. I suspect it may have been partly down to set-up
but there were a few buzzes, and to me, the neck didn't feel great
OK, but not great...
EDIT: and the finish seemed more glossy than I'd hoped....
and a slight "sharpness" to the edges of the neck...

Better than the Mex next to it, but definitely not as well finished as the US the other side of it
or as nice as my Bitsa P or even my Squier VM series P/J

Perhaps this one wasn't quite up to scratch, as I've read generally good reports
The neck on my Mex RW Jazz is immense, so I know Mex's can be superb

Anyhow, glad you're pleased with your Dee Dee
Love the plate on the back, and somehow, I'm pleased they put Dee Dee's signature on the back

Marc

PS. A lot of colour pics I've seen recently, show Dee Dee with a white P
But with a dark red Tort plate. I always remember it as black though...
Although perhaps my memory is tainted by most of the live pics of the Ramones being Black & White ??

Edited by Marc S

No surprise really Mark.
There are stories of good bad and indifferent of all Fender manufacturing plants.

I gigged this for last night's 2.5 hour shenanigans and thoroughly enjoyed using it.
Light, great sounding pup and just so playable.
I STILL kept looking forlornly at the Road Worn jazz sat on it's stand, but that's the price to pay when you have 3 wonderful playable basses :rolleyes: :lol:

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1429423882' post='2751192']
I STILL kept looking forlornly at the Road Worn jazz sat on it's stand, but that's the price to pay when you have 3 wonderful playable basses :rolleyes: :lol:
[/quote]

O brave new world, that has such a lot of bass guitars in it! An embarrassment of riches, and so on and so forth!

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1429423882' post='2751192']
I gigged this for last night's 2.5 hour shenanigans and thoroughly enjoyed using it.
Light, great sounding pup and just so playable.
[/quote]

If you have 3 basses that you think are wonderful - it's hardly a "price to pay"
The nice thing is, you can pick & choose what you want to play on the day
Whatever takes your fancy at the time :)

That's not a price - that's a fab state of affairs

You only have 3 basses - I've got way more
But Discreet told me "You don't have to justify a new P to anyone, not even yourself"
Which is a saying I may get printed onto a teeshirt (for my wife! lol)

Never did get that Limelight - cos I bought a White Fender P on Tuesday
Rosewood, not maple - but it's got a Paul Simonen / Dee Dee air about it
and BTW - it's lovely :)

Glad you're enjoying your new bass
and great news that you have gigged it and like the sound

...result!

Edited by Marc S