Why become a member? ×

Stuff that's too difficult!

julietgreen

[quote name='julietgreen' timestamp='1427840230' post='2735042']
Yeah some excellent bass covers. I can see what to play but I can only manage it at about 2/3 of the speed! Good advice all round. Thanks folks.
[/quote]

Maybe use audacity or something similar to slow it down a bit to a speed you can play it at then slowly build it up. Play it after a warm up a couple of times then have a break, then play it again slightly faster, do that a couple of times a day & you'll be up to speed in no time.
It's a similar process that athletes use for speed work, short repetitions of a speed that's just slightly faster than your ability.
Don't look at it negatively, you've identified an area of your playing that you can improve on so work towards that goal & have fun.

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1427841360' post='2735063']
Maybe use audacity or something similar to slow it down a bit to a speed you can play it at then slowly build it up. Play it after a warm up a couple of times then have a break, then play it again slightly faster, do that a couple of times a day & you'll be up to speed in no time.
It's a similar process that athletes use for speed work, short repetitions of a speed that's just slightly faster than your ability.
Don't look at it negatively, you've identified an area of your playing that you can improve on so work towards that goal & have fun.
[/quote]
Yes - in fact I have already done that (as well as put it into drop D instead of drop C as per the singer's request)!

[quote name='julietgreen' timestamp='1427843161' post='2735078']

Yes - in fact I have already done that (as well as put it into drop D instead of drop C as per the singer's request)!
[/quote]
This is where I like to use Guitar Pro to pick songs apart. You can alter the tuning of the tracks and isolate tracks. You can also slow it down without altering pitch and loop isolated sections easily, which is immensely helpful, I find. All while following the tab or score.

The iPad app isn't as versatile as the PC program.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1427824233' post='2734747']
Agree with Mr Icastle :)

A couple of months down the line and those tracks that seem difficult/too fast etc. will be a breeze.

Rise to the challenge bass sister :D
[/quote]

+1 to this. Best thing I did was join a band that wanted to play Iron maiden previously, got me out of my comfort zone a treat!

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1427825525' post='2734774']
yeah cheat, nobody will know, there's some bass lines I cheated on for years, then learnt the 'proper' bass line eventually, did anybody notice? did they f***
[/quote]

Also this!! As long as you put in any iconic runs, you can tend to get away with anything.

As for you mentioning singing, do what I do, just say you can't sing!!! I know I can't sing and play bass! My voice is actually terrible though!!

I looked up the song and the tabs and gave it a quick bash. Didn't find it too bad "not easy" but i could learn it and im a relative novice still. I think i would need a good few weeks practice on it though, mainly as its fast paced

How long have you been playing?.

[quote name='julietgreen' timestamp='1427908375' post='2735785']
I've been playing a few years, Twincam. Maybe longer than you have if you're a 'relative novice'! Never enough practice in that time though, obviously.
[/quote]

I have been playing for two years give or take a week or so, and pretty much practice everyday but still consider myself a relative novice as still have a lot to learn.

[quote name='CHW' timestamp='1427838527' post='2735002']
I suggested "The Trooper" a while back- it caused one of the guitarists to have a bit of a dizzy spell. I think he had to go for a bit of a lie down.
[/quote]

Id love to gig that song

[quote name='julietgreen' timestamp='1427822478' post='2734713']
My band is adding to our repertoire again and although I'm slightly peevish - why does it always seem that what I want to play isn't 'quite right' or 'a bit lame' or... well yeah. I'm not that attached, though, so I'm happy to have a go at whatever numbers they want to play, but lately they seem to be picking numbers that are really beyond my playing ability - just too damned fast etc. I'm doing my best, but bass is a late discovery for me.

Anyone else had that?

Do I suggest they get a better bassist?
[/quote]

Check out my sig...

Learn some Rush songs. "Hey guys, "2112' has some tricky parts but I think we can make it work".
"I've nailed all the bass parts".
"C'mon guys , lets give this a go".
"You can't play this stuff?"
"It's been 2 months?........
What songs are your band doing OP?
We are here to help you be better

[quote name='julietgreen' timestamp='1427822478' post='2734713']
My band is adding to our repertoire again and although I'm slightly peevish - why does it always seem that what I want to play isn't 'quite right' or 'a bit lame' or... well yeah. I'm not that attached, though, so I'm happy to have a go at whatever numbers they want to play, but lately they seem to be picking numbers that are really beyond my playing ability - just too damned fast etc. I'm doing my best, but bass is a late discovery for me.

Anyone else had that?

Do I suggest they get a better bassist?
[/quote]

Don't try and play the lines... work out something that works for you.
You'll probably find they are bluffing their parts to a degree anyway.

And there is such a thing as being up to gigging speed.
Somethings fit your style of playing easier than others..
I find hard rock testing if you're dropping in ... when it can be a
doddle when you've played it a few times and are gig fit for that
type of stuff...
Not great after a lay-off from gigs..etc etc

Just to put some context on these challenges.

95% of the gigs I play are Jazz on double bass but there are a couple of function bands that I play with intermittently (as in, say, two or three gigs a year). I never listen to pop music. Whenever I get to the gig, I am given charts for at least a couple of tunes that I have never heard of, let alone heard. THe charts are 'A/// D/// E/// Fmaj////.....'. really vague with no idea of groove or feel. They count the tune in and I have a bar or so to get a handle on what everyone else is doing and making something happen. So far, no-one has ever died. The one that made me laugh recently was they pulled out 'It's All About The Bass' which I HAD heard OF but had never heard. I was 'featured' in a tune where I had absolutely no idea what it was supposed to sound like.

In truth, this obsessive attention to detail can wrap us up in knots if we let it. Most lines break down into very few important notes surrounded by a lot of flubber. If in doubt, roll of the treble and 'thud' away!!! I have done whole gigs like this in the past :lol:

[quote name='Qlank' timestamp='1427924053' post='2736038']
Learn some Rush songs. "Hey guys, "2112' has some tricky parts but I think we can make it work".
"I've nailed all the bass parts".
"C'mon guys , lets give this a go".
"You can't play this stuff?"
"It's been 2 months?........
What songs are your band doing OP?
We are here to help you be better
[/quote]

Having listened to the OP's suggested track - I'm not sure suggesting Rush would result in anything other than instant sacking!

Stick with it Juliet. I'm constantly amazed by the songs that I actually can play after putting in a bit of work.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"In truth, this obsessive attention to detail can wrap us up in knots if we let it. Most lines break down into very few important notes surrounded by a lot of flubber. If in doubt, roll of the treble and 'thud' away!!! I have done whole gigs like this in the past [/font][/color] :lol:[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] "[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I do whole gigs like this most of the time.....[/font][/color]

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1427839842' post='2735034']
I had to look it up as i had never heard of it either. Some pretty good bass covers on youtube
[/quote]

including one with a reasonable looking tab in the corner.

Seems like one of those bass lines that will need to 'click' to feel natural but the main riff isn't too bad - there's not much requiring special technique.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1427968795' post='2736370']

In truth, this obsessive attention to detail can wrap us up in knots if we let it. Most lines break down into very few important notes surrounded by a lot of flubber. If in doubt, roll of the treble and 'thud' away!!! I have done whole gigs like this in the past :lol:
[/quote]

How I wish I had seen that advice 15 years ago.

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1427980415' post='2736638']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"In truth, this obsessive attention to detail can wrap us up in knots if we let it. Most lines break down into very few important notes surrounded by a lot of flubber. If in doubt, roll of the treble and 'thud' away!!! I have done whole gigs like this in the past [/font][/color] :lol:[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] "[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I do whole gigs like this most of the time.....[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Yep, the bass players equivalent of the guitarists pentatonic widdling cover up. I am guilty of both.

Well I am sticking with it and yeah, I am getting there like you all said. It's just a matter of getting up to speed.

To answer an earlier question, I haven't mastered the plectrum yet, though I have started trying to use one.

Funnily enough we have suggested some Rush - the drummer's favourite band - but strangely haven't incorporated any into the set yet!

[quote name='julietgreen' timestamp='1428003901' post='2737028']
Well I am sticking with it and yeah, I am getting there like you all said. It's just a matter of getting up to speed.

To answer an earlier question, I haven't mastered the plectrum yet, though I have started trying to use one.

Funnily enough we have suggested some Rush - the drummer's favourite band - but strangely haven't incorporated any into the set yet!
[/quote]

Don't feel bad - even millionaire rock stars sometimes just can't get their part right. Check out Kirk Hammet trying to learn a Hetfield riff : the expression on Hetfield's face when he just can't Nail it is priceless, and no-one has ever accused Kirk of not being able to play. ( Except maybe Dave Mustaine).

http://youtu.be/qgnKU1y8pGc

I listened to the track, Stricken by Disturbed. I agree with iCastle, the bass is buried in the mix. It's near impossible to hear the bass as it's drowned out by the guitar.

I'd follow the the guitar and use an octave fuzz effect :) but then I'm lazy

Replies have been useful and encouraging. Well i get more time to practise in the school holidays, so shall try to nail the actual line before I adapt it. Part of the reason it's buried is that it's in drop c tuning. Can we really distinguish pitch all that well that low? I take the point that it's good to be stretched. Still, it would be nice to have a few new ones that we could knock out without too many hours of learning.
:-)