Why become a member? ×

Lightweight cab

Kenny Gair

Hi.

Ok, I am sure I have asked this question before but maybe not here (so please don't shoot me for repetition).

I have a sore back and much as really love my SVT 810, I'd love something nice and light for smaller gigs. I use an SVT-7 Pro to power this up so needs to be able to pump out about 500-600 watts at 8 ohms. Don't want to buy a 4 ohm cab as I have a Warwick 410 that weighs about 45 kilos and not much better to port about than the 810……it needs to find a new home! I may consider adding another cab to an 8 ohm rig anyway and get rid of both. That would give me a more flexible rig. Any suggestions? Had been thinking Aguilar but not sure about the power handling at 8 ohms.

Cheers :yarr:

Well it depends on budget of course, and here comes the Barefaced recommendation as stated above. I use a 4ohm Barefaced Super 12T for regular gigs, and for bigger will gigs, use two of them, with a special lead that Barefaced sorted for me that allows connection of two of them to a 4ohm amp. I say will as haven`t played a stage yet that has required them both (as usually there has been a provided rig). Each Super 12T is about 40lbs and they are easily portable due to attached wheels on the back corners. OK they are discontinued now, but you can get them for about £500 to £600 per cab.

Aguilar cabs, as mentioned, are very nice, but they are quite weighty - the 410 probably the same as your Warwick.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1425926448' post='2712374']
There's a Barefaced Big Twin 2 in the classifieds.

With your PRO 7 the band wouldn't notice you changed cabs.
[/quote]
+1
I own one and they are superb. My last two cab set-ups have been Ashdown 8x10 followed by Warwick WCA115 paired with either a WCA411 or 211. No looking back from me, unless someone would provide me with a Mesa Powerhouse cab and transport it for me! There's some excellent 2x12 cabs on the market now, go try some out and see what suits you best. They are plenty powerful enough for most gigs. Barefaced seem to split opinions on here, I actually like the way mine looks and being a Gen3 it seems well built, Having said that I do love the classy look of the Bergantino CN212.

Hi Chris,

Yeh the Berg cabs look great but the Barefaced weight is VERY attractive. Freq range, power handling etc looks great on the Big Baby II. Pretty much bang on the money. Now to find someone selling one second hand!! Would love to try one to be honest. Youtube, whilst really informative, never really manages to get anywhere near to capturing the audio correctly.

I see there's a big twin on sale here in Glasgow (perfect for me location wise), but the cab is not really a step forwards in weight terms. I completely love my SVT810 and would be really loathed to get rid of it (something I would probably have to look at if I took in the Big Twin). It's more a smaller alternative for wee gigs that I want to find (and may be convinced at a later date to add another and get shot of the fridge). Hmmm….food for thought.

Cheers :)

Hi Ken, You're only loath to get rid of the 810 because you don't yet know what the Big Twin can do. Sonically Barefaced cabs are like nothing you've ever heard.

The new BT's weigh 49 lbs. That's got to be more than 150lbs less than the 810 surely? If it's local I'd check out the Big Twin and see what it can do for you.

I use a Berg CN212 and it does me perfectly. It's as loud as i need in a loud covers band but I think if I had regular louder (rock?) gigs I'd consider the large Barefaced cabs.

[quote name='Kenny Gair' timestamp='1425978288' post='2712863']
I see there's a big twin on sale here in Glasgow (perfect for me location wise), but the cab is not really a step forwards in weight terms.
[/quote]

Really? What do you mean? The BT2 must be much less than half of the mass of your fridge! They are unbelievably light when you first try to pick them up. When I tried my first Compact my first thought was "they've forgotten to put a speaker in here"! :)

[quote name='monsterthompson' timestamp='1425922427' post='2712296']
Prepare for the onslaught of TKS and Barefaced suggestions.
[/quote]

Perhaps there's a reason for that? Not sure they will constitute an "onslaught" mind... :)

Hahah.....probably wasn't that clear. I have a Warwick 410 cab that I use for smaller gigs, i want to get shot and replace that with another and the Barefaced seems like a great idea (the Big Baby II). Whist the Warwick isn't terribly heavy, it's still a bulky bugger to move about and heaving it in out of may car gives me a pain in the neck.....never mind back :)

The Warwick puts out about 450W at 4 Ohms, which pretty much OK for small venues but if I grab an 8 Ohm cab that produces about the same output, it will then allow me to add another cab once I have convinced myself it's OK to wave bye bye to my fridge shaped lover. I really do love the 810 but really don't love shifting it.

This all depends on how loud you play and what you define as a smaller gigs. None of my gigs would require an 810 but most of them would need more than a 112. So I use a 212.

I'd be happy replacing a 410 with a good 212, and several years ago I replaced a 410 with 2 210 cabs, but while the BB2 is a great cab I don't think one on its own would replace a 410, especially if you're pushing the 410 hard.

[quote name='Kenny Gair' timestamp='1426005999' post='2713337']
The Warwick puts out about 450W at 4 Ohms, which pretty much OK for small venues but if I grab an 8 Ohm cab that produces about the same output, it will then allow me to add another cab once I have convinced myself it's OK to wave bye bye to my fridge shaped lover. I really do love the 810 but really don't love shifting it.
[/quote]
poppycock! [b]450w at 4ohms[/b] will tell you the firstly the cabs power handling (either thermal or displacement based) and the cab's nominal resistance.
It won't tell you how loud the thing will go.
My guess is that the Barefaced Big twin would go louder than the either of your current cabs.

If the secondhand big twin is still available then go and try it out, i think you might be surprised at how loud it will go, i use a pair of midgets and so far i've never been drowned out, i heard a single midget against a pair of marshall half stacks and it was clear as a bell! (i thought that there was a compact hooked up as well but it was being used as a stand)

the modern bass cabs are so far ahead of what was available 10 years ago, you might be surprised at how small and light a rig you can have now.

I will say that as much as i love my barefaced cabs, the TKS ones are very close in terms of sound quality, i was witness to a shootout between the 12" tks and the midgets at a bass bash and there was very little in it.

Matt

Having used an SVT 810 a couple of weeks back, whilst it was great, I didn`t really notice that much difference than my Super 12T - aside from it being taller so a bit easier to hear. At the volume we play at - hardcore punk so pretty loud - my S12T is just as full in the sound, and handles the spread of the sound just as well. Whether or not it would if the amp was maxed I don`t know, and don`t want to as I`d be deaf at that point. I`d really look into the Big Twin as well.

i was initially scared to drop my 810 cab for my barefaced super15, the barefaced delivers insane depth and can go as loud as (if not louder than) my old cab.

i had to borrow cabs for a couple of my last gigs, and when i got my barefaced back, everything sounded immeasurably better and insanely louder at the same settings

edit: but i do wish i'd gone for the cloth grill option,

i think ill be up gigging in glasgow soon if you want to come feel how light the super15 is and how massive it sounds

Edited by Ant