Why become a member? ×

Band Meeting Tonight

Weststarx

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1425304557' post='2705982']
I've often debated being that myself because of my previous post but I cant be bothered for a band that I dont really enjoy the type music we play, and because the others decided to find the gigs.
[/quote]

If you don't really enjoy the type of music you play, the only reason to stay is the profit. Seeing as there is a negative profit, it's time to leave.

Perhaps the thread you read was mine; http://basschat.co.uk/topic/256734-3-years-4-bands-10-gigs-what-now/

Might be worth reading through it because there is some sound advice there. Sounds like you and I are thinking about more or less the same issues. For what it's worth, over the weekend I decided that I'd continue as turn-up-and-play bassist with my current band, but not as band Organiser. I told them that, and they've agreed. I've had a gutsfull sorting out rehearsal rooms, band members, songs, gigs, posters - everything, really. With the extra time this frees up, I'm going to play with another local covers band that has 2 gigs a month booked in for the rest of the year already. The only trouble is the setlist is pretty cheesy and predictable, but I'll be happy to get out gigging.

I hope that's helpful,

Steve

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1425304429' post='2705981']

Yeah I completely see your point here but its been me thats done absolutely everything already so far:

Out of my own pocket I have bought/ had made or sorted out:

Our website, business cards, flyers, posters, band banner, stage lights and PA system.

We had it agreed I 'd sort out all that and the others would find the gigs, so I sort of feel mugged off for all the effort and money I put in. Especially the website because I spent loads of hours on that!
[/quote]

Apologies!

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1425305455' post='2706002']
Perhaps the thread you read was mine; [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/256734-3-years-4-bands-10-gigs-what-now/"]http://basschat.co.u...-gigs-what-now/[/url]

Might be worth reading through it because there is some sound advice there. Sounds like you and I are thinking about more or less the same issues. For what it's worth, over the weekend I decided that I'd continue as turn-up-and-play bassist with my current band, but not as band Organiser. I told them that, and they've agreed. I've had a gutsfull sorting out rehearsal rooms, band members, songs, gigs, posters - everything, really. With the extra time this frees up, I'm going to play with another local covers band that has 2 gigs a month booked in for the rest of the year already. The only trouble is the setlist is pretty cheesy and predictable, but I'll be happy to get out gigging.

I hope that's helpful,

Steve
[/quote]

That was the one indeed! Thanks :D

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1425306853' post='2706024']
Apologies!
[/quote]

Haha dont apologise, I should have mentioned that in the OP :lol: I could do the gig getting but I guess I'm to stubborn with the 'Why should I?' attitude after seeing such little effort from the others.

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1425304429' post='2705981']
Yeah I completely see your point here but its been me thats done absolutely everything already so far:

Out of my own pocket I have bought/ had made or sorted out:

Our website, business cards, flyers, posters, band banner, stage lights and PA system.

We had it agreed I 'd sort out all that and the others would find the gigs, so I sort of feel mugged off for all the effort and money I put in. Especially the website because I spent loads of hours on that!
[/quote]

Should have mentioned this earlier. Your path is clear - you sack the lot of them, keep the name/web site/lights/PA that you have paid for anyway and you then get in replacements that are seasoned gigging musos that are wanting first and foremost to gig and have decent contacts to make that happen. Job done.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1425311761' post='2706094']
Should have mentioned this earlier. Your path is clear - you sack the lot of them, keep the name/web site/lights/PA that you have paid for anyway and you then get in replacements that are seasoned gigging musos that are wanting first and foremost to gig and have decent contacts to make that happen. Job done.
[/quote]

I would almost certainly keep them, they can keep the name for all i care because hardly anyone knows us due to lack of gigs anyway but they'll have to pay me for the website and business cards as far as I'm concerned.

Thankfully the website is due for renewal so that will go down soon as I go down if it works out that way haha.

Infrequent gigging seems to be a common issue for many in this forum, however it also seems it's by design.

A lot of guys have other things going on in their lives and the band is really more of a fun after thought thing. If that's you, you really might just run the no gigs/no rehearsal idea past your band members.

If your in the minority and your a true[i] "gigging/making money"[/i] guy, I would suggest investigating new band opportunities with working bands and something closer than 2 hours.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1425311761' post='2706094']
[/quote]

Agreed, this looks like the best idea. It's really your band, you should be calling the shots.

Blue

Well words were spoken, and sulking happened.

Basically what I got from it was that a few of them aren't bothered at all about gigging or not (would you have guessed?) and my suggestion of cutting rehearsals went down like a lead balloon.

So decision has been made and I will inform them I'm leaving after our last gig before the long break. Massively disappointed as I like hanging out with them all but I'm in a band to gig because thats where the fun and memories are for me.

In other news, I've got an audition to be in a rock 3 piece on Sunday :lol:

Edited by Weststarx

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1425373872' post='2706558']
Not entirely unpredicted but still a drag. Anyhow, onward and upward for Sunday.
[/quote]
[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1425374602' post='2706565']
Well I call that a result :)
[/quote]

Yeah fingers crossed for Sunday! We've actually got a 2 week break due to a few guys being away or on holiday now so it will give me some time to get out there.

[i]I also apologise for my terrible spelling in my last post, we use Internet Explorer at work and theres no spell checker on there for me to use haha[/i]

Sulking's always disappointing from grown-ups. I've quit two bands in the past, one time the split was amicable (with leaving card/booze and everything after the last gig) and the other time I got a stroppy passive/aggressive email from the band leader telling me that using a band meeting to tell them in person that I was leaving was a "futile and theatrical gesture" but it'd be fine if I wanted to come back. Riiiiiight then.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1425378744' post='2706614']
Sulking's always disappointing from grown-ups. I've quit two bands in the past, one time the split was amicable (with leaving card/booze and everything after the last gig) and the other time I got a stroppy passive/aggressive email from the band leader telling me that using a band meeting to tell them in person that I was leaving was a "futile and theatrical gesture" but it'd be fine if I wanted to come back. Riiiiiight then.
[/quote]

And i bet if you emailed them they would be saying you should have spoke to them in person :lol:

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1425378888' post='2706616']
It's always a wrench when you leave a band, but if it's not right for you, and doesn't allow you the freedom to do what you want to do then it's the right decision. Best of luck for Sunday.
[/quote]

Thanks! It'll be a massive pain because I feel like it will be a lot of time wasted but no point doing something I dont enjoy at the end.

I hate confrontations as well...

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1425373684' post='2706554']
Well words were spoken, and sulking happened.

[b]Basically what I got from it was that a few of them aren't bothered at all about gigging or not (would you have guessed?) and my suggestion of cutting rehearsals went down like a lead balloon.[/b]

So decision has been made and I will inform them I'm leaving after our last gig before the long break. Massively disappointed as I like hanging out with them all but I'm in a band to gig because thats where the fun and memories are for me.

In other news, I've got an audition to be in a rock 3 piece on Sunday :lol:
[/quote]

So, they expected you to continue to travel 2 hrs weekly just to hang out and play a few tones..?
I guess that is why they were 'happy' that you took care of all the things that they/YOU needed to gig as
they weren't bothered if it happened or not..
I think you leaving will finish off the band unless not gigging was a position shared by all...??

I saw a link to this

http://blog.sonicbids.com/5-good-reasons-to-kick-out-that-band-member?_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9nKP1c_4eBikPKQxFmDu5-F1T8quSY_lrbiAWr8sS_fv0QLG2taFovBc83cNn8hV9jjT1Fci0-54Ih51_zeb7rn1qydQ&_hsmi=16183611

in the last day or two. Being in a band is a multi-way relationship, and if we're all honest with ourselves (idealistic, I know!) this article can also be taken the other way around, i.e. When It's Time To Move On.
I play with a few different setups, generally on a happy and open ad-hoc basis. At least one band, I sort of ought to leave as they could do with someone more committed; only thing there is that I love playing with them and the feeling seems to be mutual. We're now looking at the possibility of some solution involving more than one bassist..
Happy days! :-D

OP, sounds like you're headed in the right direction.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1425389410' post='2706773']
So, they expected you to continue to travel 2 hrs weekly just to hang out and play a few tones..?
I guess that is why they were 'happy' that you took care of all the things that they/YOU needed to gig as
they weren't bothered if it happened or not..
I think you leaving will finish off the band unless not gigging was a position shared by all...??
[/quote]

Basically yes they do. The lead guitarist has become a very close friend of mine and shares the same view as me and backed me up with what I was saying last night. We havent talked about it but I very much imagine he wouldnt be around for much longer after I left.

We already meet up and jam together so I imagine that could also become the start of something else...

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1425391420' post='2706808']
I saw a link to this

[url="http://blog.sonicbids.com/5-good-reasons-to-kick-out-that-band-member?_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9nKP1c_4eBikPKQxFmDu5-F1T8quSY_lrbiAWr8sS_fv0QLG2taFovBc83cNn8hV9jjT1Fci0-54Ih51_zeb7rn1qydQ&_hsmi=16183611"]http://blog.sonicbid...&_hsmi=16183611[/url]

[/quote]

Thats pretty cool