Why become a member? ×

Band Meeting Tonight

Weststarx

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1425373684' post='2706554']
In other news, I've got an audition to be in a rock 3 piece on Sunday :lol:
[/quote]

I've been checking your website for gigs Ali - this thread explains things.

Hope Sunday goes well mate.

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1425405503' post='2707014']

I've been checking your website for gigs Ali - this thread explains things.

Hope Sunday goes well mate.
[/quote]

haha indeed, I almost didnt want to show how little we had going on...

hows the little fender doing?

We rehearsed quite a bit one year. 1985 I think it was. Since then we have gigged lots and only rehearsed if we have a particularly tricky one to do or it maybe needs a bit of rearrangement to fit to our trio.

Having said that I did rehearse weekly with a Floyd tribute for three years without playing a single gig. Needless to say that folded eventually

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1425373684' post='2706554']
Well words were spoken, and sulking happened.

Basically what I got from it was that a few of them aren't bothered at all about gigging or not (would you have guessed?) and my suggestion of cutting rehearsals went down like a lead balloon.

So decision has been made and I will inform them I'm leaving after our last gig before the long break. Massively disappointed as I like hanging out with them all but I'm in a band to gig because thats where the fun and memories are for me.

In other news, I've got an audition to be in a rock 3 piece on Sunday :lol:
[/quote]

Great, this was really a straight forward problem with an easy solution.

I am sure there are others here on this forum in the same same situation. Your in a band and it no longer offers what you want and need.

Good luck auditioning the 3 piece rock band. I hate to say this, but I will. If they don't have a gigging history chances are they never will. I would hate to see you have to go through another unproductive band experience.

Blue

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1425295361' post='2705847']
It amazes me that some people don't realise that if you gig enough then the only rehearsals you need are for new material or new members.

If they can get to practice every week then they can get to a gig every week instead.

Or even 2 gigs a month and 1 rehearsal for new stuff.
[/quote]
This.
On the other hand, no actual wanting to gig was going on, so right outcome in the end.

Edited by Telebass

Good luck and don't feel bad. For most of them being in a band and some recreational playing was enough, you've probably ended that for them and you can't blame them for being fed up. You aren't responsible for their happiness though.

I've been in exactly that situation with my previous two bands, pushing them into gigging which they quite enjoyed but weren't bothered about it being too often. I too took on the PA and all the other organisation as I tried to push the bands forwards. Gigging is a real commitment though, It takes out most of the weekend as far as the family is concerned and lot's of preparation and compromises on the set and many people struggle with performing in public. There's only so far you can push people and you gave it a good go.

You'd be surprised at how popular a gigging bassist with a full PA and organising skills can be. I'm now with a band that gig twice as often as before and our diary is growing and I've had inquiries/offers from other bands. I'm grateful to my previous band members though, they lit the candle and put up with my awful bass playing whist I grew my skills. Most of us are still friends. Your guitarist might be a keeper too.

Good luck

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1425422194' post='2707290']

Good luck auditioning the 3 piece rock band. I hate to say this, but I will. If they don't have a gigging history chances are they never will. I would hate to see you have to go through another unproductive band experience.

Blue
[/quote]

Yeah well thankfully I've learnt a lot and will be armed to the teeth with questions for the next bands I try out for.

What would be amazing is to slip into a band that is already established and gigging but might need a bit of luck there haha.

We just had the gig before the long break cancel on us so I think that now takes it to 7 months without a gig...Hahaha