Why become a member? ×

Choosing a 115

Waddycall

Hi,
I'm looking for a cab to replace my marshall mbc 115. It's to big, heavy and doesn't sound great. I want a single cab for now that I can add to later.
Yesterday I went to mansons in Exeter and tried a few 115s -

Ampeg svt 15 e
GK neo 115
Fender rumble 115
Hartke hydrive 115.

The one that really surprised me was the fender rumble v3 115. The hartke seemed sort of wooden sounding and the GK was a bit too bright for my liking. I had been considering the ampeg but it's £200 more than the rumble, bigger and a bit heavier. I also thought the ampeg seemed a bit under rated with a maximum power handling of 200w rms versus the rumbles 300.

Funnily enough the features that stopped me walking out with the rumble are the ones I'm looking for - small and light! It almost seems to good to be true that the smallest, cheapest and lightest cab (must admit I didn't try lifting the GK) there was also to me the best sounding. I'm a bit concerned that this cab might be a bit too lightly built.

Has anyone used the v3 rumble 115 cabinet as a standalone for a loud band with drummer? If so how does it cope?
Thanks,

Pete

If you like the Rumble 115, take advantage of Distant Selling Regs and buy one online, then if it doesn`t cut it at rehearsals, arrange for collection/refund with the seller. Just time it carefully so if you rehearse on say a Tues, that it gets to you on the Thu/Fri before, so you can contact them again within 7 days of receipt. I think you have longer than that, but 7 days is a good turnaround time.

[quote name='Waddycall' timestamp='1425225262' post='2705241']
Hi,
I'm looking for a cab to replace my marshall mbc 115. It's to big, heavy and doesn't sound great. I want a single cab for now that I can add to later.
Yesterday I went to mansons in Exeter and tried a few 115s -

Ampeg svt 15 e
GK neo 115
Fender rumble 115
Hartke hydrive 115.

The one that really surprised me was the fender rumble v3 115. The hartke seemed sort of wooden sounding and the GK was a bit too bright for my liking. I had been considering the ampeg but it's £200 more than the rumble, bigger and a bit heavier. I also thought the ampeg seemed a bit under rated with a maximum power handling of 200w rms versus the rumbles 300.

Funnily enough the features that stopped me walking out with the rumble are the ones I'm looking for - small and light! It almost seems to good to be true that the smallest, cheapest and lightest cab (must admit I didn't try lifting the GK) there was also to me the best sounding. I'm a bit concerned that this cab might be a bit too lightly built.

Has anyone used the v3 rumble 115 cabinet as a standalone for a loud band with drummer? If so how does it cope?
Thanks,

Pete
[/quote]

I was in Mansons last week and lifted the Fender up just to see what it's weight was. It's a good job I didn't put too much effort in otherwise it would have hit the ceiling. Surprisingly light.

EDIT: just checked the Fender website, those cabs are less than 18kg. :o

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1425237564' post='2705462']
Give Barefaced a look? They have a thirty day 'chuck it back' policy...........

:)
[/quote]

Thanks, I've made some enquiries with Barefaced and I'm very tempted by the super compact but I've got to bear in mind I could get two rumbles for the same price!

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1425239030' post='2705487']

I was in Mansons last week and lifted the Fender up just to see what it's weight was. It's a good job I didn't put too much effort in otherwise it would have hit the ceiling. Surprisingly light.

EDIT: just checked the Fender website, those cabs are less than 18kg. :o
[/quote]

Yes, they're really light. My marshall is 32kg. Unless they're braced properly etc then I'd be worried about it shaking itself to bits or the tone going off when the volumes cranked up and it starts flexing.

I think your best bet, assuming you want only a 1x15" cab, is the now discontinued 1x15 Barefaced Compact.

These cabs use one of the best 15" drivers on the market. I have owned one from new since 2009 and still love it.

It will easily outperform your Marshall cab and the later ones weigh only 26lbs.

You'll have to buy used but these cabs are very tough despite being featherlight.

Prices are dropping a little now that they are no longer in production. You should be able to pick one up at around £350 to £400 - worth every penny. :)

Frank.

Ampeg are pretty honest with their power ratings, where others will list the thermal rating of the voice coil. Nothing especially wrong with that as it's how almost all manufacturers do it, but it doesn't tell you too much about how the speaker will handle signals in the real world.

A while back I was trying to figure out what Ampeg were using for speakers in one of their 15" cabs. Ampeg often mix and match parts from Eminence, and they helpfully give voice coil sizes in their specs - the only one I could find of that size for a 15" speaker had a thermal rating of twice the rating that Ampeg were saying their cab could handle.

If you like the sound then go for it. The Cab is unlikely to shake itself to bits but if it is thin walled and unbraced then it the walls will vibrate and make a noise of their own colouring the sound, but the coloured sound was what you liked. Similarly I don't suppose the speaker had a huge magnet at that weight and that affects the sound too, but you liked the sound. I think what you are saying that this is the cab to beat for you, go on looking to check there is nothing in your price bracket you prefer but if this is your favourite then .....

Talk to Mansons, they are my local shop too and I've always found them really helpful, they may offer you a money back return or a chance to loan the speaker, it's worth asking, they can only say no.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1425251742' post='2705648']
I think your best bet, assuming you want only a 1x15" cab, is the now discontinued 1x15 Barefaced Compact. You should be able to pick one up at around £350 to £400 - worth every penny. :)
[/quote]

Good call. Quite a few used ones on here in the last few weeks...

Out of interest - why narrow your options by only looking at/for 1x15s?

Edited by Conan

You could have a point there about seeing what Mansons could do loan wise. The only trouble is it takes me two hours to get there! I'd rather buy from them as they've always been really helpful as you said. I don't agree with trying things in shop then buying them online. Id like the shops to still be there next time I want to try something out. The said they could post the cab.
Id still like to hear from anyone who owns the rumble before going any further though.

Out of interest - why narrow your options by only looking at/for 1x15s?

To be honest I'm open to suggestions other than 1x 15. I went to Mansons hoping to look at 2 x 10 and 2 x 12 cabs but there wasn't anything there in my price range other than a used Markbass 102 which was 4 ohm. It sounded ok but lacked depth/warmth compared to the ampeg and rumble 15s - a bit like the GK 115.

[quote name='Waddycall' timestamp='1425300472' post='2705917']
These cabs use one of the best 15" drivers on the market. I have owned one from new since 2009 and still love it.

Thanks Machinehead - do you use your as a standalone cab?
[/quote]
Where are you based?

[quote name='Waddycall' timestamp='1425322345' post='2706218']
I'm in mid cornwall. It's not easy finding shops with cabs to try round here!
[/quote]

Quite. Even Mansons doesn't have much bass gear to be honest...less now they decided to chop the end of the room off to effectively make room for more acoustic guitars.

[quote name='Waddycall' timestamp='1425322345' post='2706218']
I'm in mid cornwall. It's not easy finding shops with cabs to try round here!
[/quote]

I was going to suggest you hear TKS at BassGear but they are nr Reading .. I can vouch for the S112 which is a remarkable little cab
but I don't advocate single 12's and always prefer 2... but there is no reason why a single 112 shouldn't as capable
as a 115 and the S112 is a great cab.
Maybe see what others who have more time on the H115 have said in threads here..?

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1425307430' post='2706035']
After 20 years of using 15's, these days I'd recommend well made 12's every time. The gen 2 Barefaced Compact is the only exception, IMO.
[/quote]

Anyone use a single 112? I'm quite tempted by the bareface compact but suspect I'd be needing another one pretty soon.

[quote name='Waddycall' timestamp='1425329189' post='2706302']
Anyone use a single 112? I'm quite tempted by the bareface compact but suspect I'd be needing another one pretty soon.
[/quote]

To answer your question in post 15, yes, I use the Compact on its own quite a lot. It's a very loud cab fills a room well.

I also have a Barefaced Midget (Generation1 and a 1 x 12" cab) that I also use on its own and again, it's very loud but not as deep and full sounding as the Compact. But then, the Compact is a much larger cabinet so you would expect that.

I can use them both together as they are designed for that, but I rarely need to, although together they sound excellent.

If I had to choose one over the other I'd keep the Compact.

Frank.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1425307430' post='2706035']
After 20 years of using 15's, these days I'd recommend well made 12's every time. The gen 2 Barefaced Compact is the only exception, IMO.
[/quote]

Agreed on both points.

A pair of well designed 12" cabs is a good compromise between size, weight, practicality and performance.

Frank.

You can use a single 12 for most gigs, I've been gigging with the prototype basschat 12 I've been developing and haven't really needed more than one cab. The proviso is that it has to have a decent long throw driver, the amp has to be well powered and I wouldn't want to use any bass boost. Two of these are killers though. One for small gigs, two for big and you are covered.

I suggest you to check barefaced compact. They are one of the best 15s on the used market. In fact, I can sell mine for the price it cost me. Just pm me if you are interested in.
I am very happy with it but thinking on changing my setup to 2 12s instead of 15s.