Why become a member? ×

Just pre ordered a Chowny Semi Hollow Bass

sk8

[quote name='All thumbs' timestamp='1433972597' post='2795640']
I filmed a video review/demonstration earlier today of my Emarald Burst Chowny CHB-1!...
[/quote]

...and very nice too..! You do the bass proud. The one major problem..? My appetite has been whetted..! How the heck will I be able to explain that to SHMBO..? Hmm... :unsure:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1433980181' post='2795714']
...and very nice too..! You do the bass proud. The one major problem..? My appetite has been whetted..! How the heck will I be able to explain that to SHMBO..? Hmm... :unsure:
[/quote]

Indeed, must wait until after the holiday..must wait until after the holiday... :wacko:

[quote name='Chownybass' timestamp='1433830930' post='2794252']
Just a quick update if I may.
[/quote]

Would you be able to post the physical dimensions - max body width, overall length, also the nut and 12th fret width (I may have missed this somewhere in the thread)?

Cheers

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1434013166' post='2795857']

Scott, very nice demo, what flatwounds are you using?
[/quote]

Cheers! :-) I'm using Rotosound Monel Medium Scale (although a short scale bass, you need medium scale strings because of the floating bridge/tailpiece setup - short scale strings are too short!).

They're not my favourite strings by a long shot but they actually work very well on the Chowny!

Edited by All thumbs

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1434043150' post='2796232']
Great vid Scott - what made you go for one of your least-favourite sets of flatwounds?
[/quote]

Lol - well spotted!

In truth it was simply availability! The only flats I could get locally were the Rotosounds and I wanted to use the bass the next day on an Animals gig (impatient I know). Tbh they sound better on this bass than on any other I've tried 'em on. Will be trying some Thomastiks at some point for sure. :-)

Edited by All thumbs

[quote name='All thumbs' timestamp='1434193251' post='2797481']
Cheers! :-) I'm using Rotosound Monel Medium Scale (although a short scale bass, you need medium scale strings because of the floating bridge/tailpiece setup - short scale strings are too short!).

They're not my favourite strings by a long shot but they actually work very well on the Chowny!
[/quote]
Not my favourite either but they sounded fine.

[quote name='edpirie' timestamp='1434659788' post='2801684']
Hi - any information on neck profile? Width at nut and depth front to back would be interesting, or comparison with other types out there (Jazz, P, Starfire, Hofner etc).

Thanks
[/quote]

I received this from Stephen at Chowny recently.

Length 1140mm
Width 420mm
Nut width 40mm
12th fret 52mm

Cheers

[quote name='Fuzzbass2000' timestamp='1434660411' post='2801691']
I received this from Stephen at Chowny recently.

Length 1140mm
Width 420mm
Nut width 40mm
12th fret 52mm

Cheers
[/quote]

Thanks. I'll add the following

Neck Depth at the nut 21.5mm
Neck Depth at the 12th Fret 24mm

- Stephen

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick note to say there's a couple of updates on the affiliates post :

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/249697-update-on-chowny-bass/page__view__findpost__p__2811310"]http://basschat.co.u...ost__p__2811310[/url] and [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/249697-update-on-chowny-bass/page__view__findpost__p__2811985"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/249697-update-on-chowny-bass/page__view__findpost__p__2811985[/url]

Edited by Chownybass

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1436109664' post='2815007']
This finish would get my vote! A quality, versatile-sounding, great-looking at this price seems too good to be true. Not mad about it being made in China - still mighty tempting though.
[/quote]

What's your issue with this being made in China?

steve