Why become a member? ×

What Made You Play The Bass?

Billy Apple

Norman Watt Roy.

I went to see Wilko Johnson at The Cellars in Portsmouth and I spent the whole evening watching and listening to Norm instead of Wilko. His sound and performance just blew me away. I have played guitar for the last 20 years (not very well) and now I am out gigging every other weekend playing bass and loving it. Norm really was an inspiration to pick up and learn the Bass, thanks Norm.

Jas

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1424415655' post='2696013']
This, and this.
[/quote]

I think we may have been separated at birth ;) Said it in other threads that RG probably gets overlooked, you start picking apart something like 'Lazy' and appreciate how effortlessly fluid he makes it all sound.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1424450523' post='2696498']
I think we may have been separated at birth ;) Said it in other threads that RG probably gets overlooked, you start picking apart something like 'Lazy' and appreciate how effortlessly fluid he makes it all sound.
[/quote]

I'd argue that Glover and Paice were a massively underrated rhythm section. I may have to run and hide after saying this, but I think as a unit they had a far superior groove to Jones and Bonham - but then I've always thought Paice was a far more imaginative drummer!

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1424452209' post='2696526']
- but then I've always thought Paice was a far more imaginative drummer!
[/quote]

Did you catch his program on PlanetRock recently (the series on drummers). Was very interesting, he went through all the guys who'd influenced him from way back. Hope its on listen again. I caught only a bit of the following episode with Rick Allen, fairly dull, he seemed to just play tracks of bands he'd bumped into on gigs, but to be fair only heard a bit of it.

To those of you making reference to the Paice/Glover rhythm section, you reminded me that my brother's favorite drummer was Ian Paice. He and I spent many an hour working out their arrangements on Deep Purple songs. Roger Glover is an outstanding bass player. I had completely forgotten about that! :-)

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1424452209' post='2696526']
I'd argue that Glover and Paice were a massively underrated rhythm section. I may have to run and hide after saying this, but I think as a unit they had a far superior groove to Jones and Bonham - but then I've always thought Paice was a far more imaginative drummer!
[/quote]

You wouldn't have to argue that with me - an opinion I've held for over 40 years. I found the Bonham/JPJ combo rather too 'messy'. I prefer Gillan over Plant as a singer, too.... well, back then, anyway, when they both could still sing.

Not sure I'd classify 'Made In Japan' as 'prog' mind you...

Edited by Paul S

I was about 15, a bit drunk at a party. There was a bass there and for some reason (mostly drink) I decided to plug it in and hit the strings with my cock to see what noise it made. I enjoyed the sound and also the vibrations so I bought one and started a band. I don't think I've not been in a band since.

Although I mostly play with a pick now, practice rooms are usually cold places...

Forced into piano lessons at a young age, hated it couldn't get the left hand/right hand thing going and having to read music at the same time! I have BIG hands n sausages for fingers so guitar was out (never wanted the spotlight anyway!). Now who's that fellow? Oh yes a certain Sidney Vicious, he looks cool, mum can I buy a bass? Lots of tattie howkin money later, I'm the proud owner of a Grant EB3 copy strung for a lefthander and a HH VS Bass combo. Gotta love the low end! I still think I'm crap but I have managed to wing it in the same band for 22 years (probably cos i'm 6'3'' and built like the proverbial outhouse) :blink:

Cracking thread... Just spent ages reading through it! I started playing lead guitar first... When I was about 11... And played in a band from about 14... But in music class no-one wanted to play bass so rather than fight over drums and guitar is kept playing bass... More I played more information wanted to learn how to play better and before long I bought my own bass and that was it. Joined Driller and then Strange Brew and still playing 70s covers!

Absolutely love the feel and groove of bass playing to lead guitar work! :-D

John Paul Jones, a mates dad was playing some Zeppelin and The Lemon Song blew my mind. I'd never really noticed bass guitar much but his playing on that track blew my mind. From then on I was always listening for what the bass was doing on any song I heard. Got a bass and started a band with some mates not long after.

Messed around with drums and guitar, both fun but I just never had the passion for them I have for bass.