Why become a member? ×

struggling to move forward

bonnp

started playing bass a year ago, although its hard with 3 young children to get practice time. i had 1 lesson after 6 months in which i learnt loads from but i am struggling to get anywhere decent, i start to learn songs and then get bored and start a new one, i did not bother with learning scales or properly using two fingers to pluck the strings. i find myself now learning to use two fingers and have just decided to lean the bass scales which have made it much easier to learn the notes on the frets.songs i learnt are Chic, i want your love, stevie wonder i wish, motorhead ace of spades, stones under my thumb etc and other bits and bobs, i have tried to learn miss you nice and sleazy but struggle. Whay should i do? learn scales and finish a song completely? as i learn 3 quarters and move on, any ideas on how i could improve my playing, songs, scales etc anything would be great as i am not getting anywhere fast apart from buying bass guitars., help

I know you might find it hard given that your time is obviously at a premium, but the next step is surely getting out of the bedroom and playing with other people!

Get thee to a jam night or put a few ads out looking for people of a similar background. Playing in a band will help you progress as a musician in a way that's impossible to learn any other way.

Good luck!

Have goals. Write down what you want to achieve in say a month, then write down how your gonna do it & how much time your going to commit in that period.
Make sure your goal is achievable & stick to your allotted time. After every session write down what you did & review it weekly.
You must always make practice a deliberate & thought out process & evaluate often.

I agree that looking at some technique videos may help.

How are you for knowing what the notes are on the fretboard? There are some great fretboard testers which you can download and play whenever you find yourself with a spare 5 minutes which will help you on bass without even needing a bass. Could be done at the school gates when waiting for children etc.

I also agree that getting out there and playing with some other people is a good idea. I joined my first band after I'd been playing for 2 months. Cue a steep learning curve and no regrets!

I had similar issues when I started. I had this idea that I ought to be able to play all my favourite songs the same as the record and getting a bit frustrated. In the end I did as others have said and met up with a couple of guys who already played for a jam.
Their advice which worked perfectly for me was to learn the notes on the E and A strings and just play along playing the root note until I was comfortable with the song then add a couple of extra notes until I was comfortable with that and add some more (and so on). It gave me the confidence to play a whole song and then used to look at and practice the pentatonic and major scales to add in the extra notes when it felt right.

The answer is contained your post: learn the songs completely and learn the scales, chord tones, etc.

At a guess I'd say that the last quarter of the songs that you're missing are the trickier bits. Am I right? It's fine to learn just the riffs, and we all do this, but where you'll learn most is when you're pushing yourself a little. There are numerous apps that can help you with playing along to songs but if you have access to your PC whilst practising I'd recommend [url="http://bestpractice.sourceforge.net/"]Best Practise[/url]. It'll allow you to slow down the songs to be able to work out the notes and play along at a slower speed until you've got it nailed.

It's much easier to work things out when you've got a handle on why things work in a song. Lessons from a proper bass tutor are the bet way to learn, but it's not always possible to take them for a variety of reasons. As an alternative take a look at [url="http://www.studybass.com/"]StudyBass[/url] and work your way through it. Start at the beginning and don't be tempted to skip bits.

And lastly, any questions just ask here. :)

My six babies are now all in their twenties. It happened in the blink of an eye -- you will understand in another thirty years or so. You need to develop one of the most important things that a father of young children MUST have -- discipline. You must learn to cherish the time with them but you must make ALL of the time you have to yourself count. Start small, and learn to build large victories out of tiny successes. Best of luck to you.

<><Peace

As well as all the good advice given so far, you should check out :
[url="http://www.talkingbass.net/"]http://www.talkingbass.net/[/url]

Lots of great free lessons there for people in your position. There is a bass beginner's course for the price of an hour's face to face lesson. In the absence of an actual teacher, it would suit you down to the ground.

"dadofsix's" post above is spot on regarding discipline.

Little and often is the best way. :)

Edited by Coilte

In your situation, the thing you are most missing is the motivation to complete the things you've started. Get yourself into a situation (a band, a jam, whatever) where you [i]have[/i] to learn 2 or 3 songs off pat for a specific event. That will give you a focus.

Tbh ; routine is the key IMHO .
It's difficult enough as it is for you , and your responsibilities.
Obviously ,everybody above has given great advice. All that I can add, is to set aside 1 hour a day without interruption of any kind .
This way, you focus on the basics for3/4 days a week . The rest can be learning each song slowly till it's. Completed. The rest( other people to jam with etc,) will come when you're ready.

Don't be discouraged friend. Every day is a victory. You have done something amazing - you bought an instrument, practiced and learned and now you can make music. That is fantastic. And you are a Dad with 3 kids, good on you.

I read in an old American Guitar Player magazine that many people get discouraged when they can't play the stuff their heroes play. The guy said to set your sights lower and set small targets to beat this let down feeling. He said we just can't squeeze a famous rock stars 30 years of pro experience into a few weeks of our own skills. Just pick a simple song that you love, break it into pieces, learn it no matter what til it's good and then do another. Set yourself a target of say 10 songs fully learned and THEN buy another bass. The Tascam Bass trainer is a great helper too.
I got sick a while back and am in the same boat, have to learn from scratch. Want to play like Rex Brown but it's more like Mrs Brown at the minute!!
Don't give up, a year from now, you'll be rocking with a tight band laughing at all this. We are all in this together. Best of luck mate.

http://tascam.com/product/cd-bt2/

If you're already learning Chic songs and I Wish by Stevie Wonder after only a year playing with too little time between time with kids, then you must be doing pretty well. I Wish is a tough song to play; but maybe you said it with learning songs the whole way through. Have you learnt the bridges and short break down section in I Wish and do you have the stamina and accuracy to play the song the whole way through as tight as it needs to be to really groove?

Edited by Bassnut62

[quote name='bonnp' timestamp='1423347033' post='2683857']
thanks for the help, i have read all of them and great advice, i needed someone to tell me?? gonna set aside an hour each day and work till the end of the song, but songs that are not too difficult, thx any further advice please add!
[/quote]

Don't forget the advice on playing with others, its an important both in terms of technique and motivation. GL

Bassnut, you hit thew nail on the head, i found this a good song to learn the fret board but you are right i did not finish it, i am gonna go back to it though, pinball, i am looking to play with some others as well asap, thanks for the advice

Truckstop said it.

If you want to improve quickly, you gig. It gives you a focus to prepare for the gig regardless. You will MAKE time, plus you learn to think on your feet ‘cos you have to on a stage, plus you learn to play with other musicians, stage craft, gets you out of the house, adrenaline buzz is beautiful, etc, etc.

You will learn 10 times faster and more on a stage than in your bedroom. :-)

Find somebody to play with, there are guitarists and drummers in the same boat as you, maybe in a different age group but so what, you dont have to gig, just play with others.

Mind you, gig as soon as poss, dont wait till your really ready, jump in and get your feet wet - it really is the only way.

A month playing with others is worth 6 in your bedroom, and a gig is worth 6 weeks in a practice room.

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1423381950' post='2684040']
If you're already learning Chic songs and I Wish by Stevie Wonder after only a year playing with too little time between time with kids, then you must be doing pretty well. I Wish is a tough song to play; but maybe you said it with learning songs the whole way through. Have you learnt the bridges and short break down section in I Wish and do you have the stamina and accuracy to play the song the whole way through as tight as it needs to be to really groove?
[/quote]

Picking up an instrument late and life and moving forward is not easy, however I've seen it done. Our BL and lead guitarist didn't pick a guitar until she was 20 years old. She front's the band plays blistering 70s style leads and rivals those that have been at it for years.

This is just me and I don't mean to be offensive. I don't think Chic or Stevie Wonder's [i]"I Wish" [/i]is the ideal starting point. Doesn't matter how fast a guy can play or how many scales he knows. You can't hang with the blues, you might as well hang it up.

My point, start with the blues and everything else will come to you a lot easier. I'm also a big advocate of formal lessons.

Blue

Edited by blue