Why become a member? ×

Am I?

Allo

Does anyone else have over 50 basses? I'm currently at critical mass (seriously) with 57 basses and around 13 guitars. I must stress that this is not in any way shape or form meant to prove anything (other than that I am completely nuts and am about to lose everything {including my mind!} in my quest for furtherage of bass fulfillment!) but I'm intrigued as there are some really great collections out there in Basschat Land. My collection has grown rapidly and having gotten involved here, I've met some really great people with some really amazing basses.

Am I mad?

Cheers.

Nick

MB1. :)
Nick!... i think theres loads of people on here that have previously had a lot of basses ive had 70 that ive had and moved on!...Youre the only person,i know of, thats still got em all! :huh:.......Seems you aint much cop at moving em on! :huh:
Martin. :huh:

..I'm not rich, I used to be once, many years ago!

I started collecting whilst I was still at school; all the money I earned from various part-time jobs went into basses. I was lucky in that my main job whilst in the 6th form was as a weekend salesboy in our local `Music Village'. This was around `87 and so you can imagine the scene, a 16 year old wannabee funkateer surrounded by Wals, JayDees and more Trace Elliot than you could imagine etc. I used to get the pick of what came in secondhand, such as my '77 StingRay etc. They really were the glory days - my manager used a Vigier and he'd tease me with it as he would never sell it to me! He has some video footage of the shop somewhere, would love to see it!

Marcus - my Alembic Anniversary model cost me just under £1700 which was a steal really (Ebay job) - I'd say you could pick an MK standard up for around £2K

Do you find that you use them all or do many sit at home? Even when I had as many as five basses at any one time, I found that it was the same one that kept coming to gigs with me time after time.

I now have four. The five string BB415 is used for my rock band and is tuned down a semitone across the board. My Fender P is in standard tuning and is used for my party covers band. The P bass copy that I bought from Silverfoxnik is my project bass (I'm planning to have a go at dressing the frets on this one) and my BB300 is in bits in my shed waiting to re-painted.

Even now I'm thinking, "What will I use the BB300 for when it's back in one piece?" I can't imagine selling either the P-bass copy or the BB300 as they're worth so little (especially in the current market) but fear they may just become noodling tools too be noodled upon while my wife watches Eastenders.

is this Bass collectors anonymous?

I currently have only seven basses and three guitars...

It's easy finding reasons for buying the new addition (ie it's an absolute bargain you can't pass up), however, it's deuced hard trying to sell off the ones you no longer want in this current market...

hmmm, methinks I'll defret one of my Encore P basses and set the other up again but with flats and down tuned a semitone. Get some use out of them...

I have four - one is my workhorse (Ric 4001), one is for rehearsals and ease of portability (Musicmaster), one is fretless (Aria) and one is always in an odd tuning (Washburn, currently in drop C).

Although I might end owning another one by the end of the day - curse you, GAS!

One Wal and a Status Energy 6 that I don't use.

I have also previously owned a Hondo II Precision copy, Aria SB700 and a Washburn Headless (all 4 strings).

I play the music and not the basses!

I actually have more guitars: a Gibson ES175, an Adamus II six-string electro-acoustic, a Takamine CD132SC and an old Antoria that I have strung to a Nashville tuning.

I can see how you could end up with 70 or so basses. I've been playing bass for less than 6 months. I own an Affinity Squier P bass and have just ordered a Squier Classic Vibe 60's Jazz. I know these basses are at the low end, but nevertheless, that makes two basses bought plus my new Ashdown combo to go with my original Fender 15W Rumble. GAS has got me. Perhaps I should quit now!!

I have just got rid of two basses in an effort to streamline. I had an Ibanez SR300 and a GSR200 that just sat there gathering dust. Whilst I would love to open a Museum of Stringed Instruments in my house, I cannot justify the expense or the room for equipment I don't use at least occasionally, and the CSA seem to agree!

I have somewhere around 19 or 20 basses and 1 guitar but I do know someone who has numbers up into your realms of OCD'd ness :)

I'll let him post if he wishes rather than name him:)

I suspect if I had more income I'd also have more basses.

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='260538' date='Aug 12 2008, 01:20 AM']Allo

Does anyone else have over 50 basses? I'm currently at critical mass (seriously) with 57 basses and around 13 guitars. I must stress that this is not in any way shape or form meant to prove anything (other than that I am completely nuts and am about to lose everything {including my mind!} in my quest for furtherage of bass fulfillment!) but I'm intrigued as there are some really great collections out there in Basschat Land. My collection has grown rapidly and having gotten involved here, I've met some really great people with some really amazing basses.

Am I mad?

Cheers.

Nick[/quote]

Not at all. I currently have 23 basses, 7 guitars and a Yamaha EZEG.

I aspire to be you when I grow up...

I was just thinking about some of the basses I've had over the years - some right crackers.

Warwick Thumb NT5, 20th & 30th Anniversary Stingrays, Modulus Flea, About 6 other stingrays, 6 Rickenbacker 4003s including the greenest Blueboy one ever, a 4000, Fender 1973 Telecaster bass, Early Squier JV & SQ basses, 2x '51 reissues, a few 6 stringers, 2x 8 stringers and 2x 12 stringers amongst others.

I've had around 60 basses in my time but I only ever take 1 to a gig. Always have done so having all of these basses at one time would be a waste to me.

In the next couple of months I'll be down to 2 - My gold '54 Warmoth which is about to get a Bartolini active circuit in it and my vintage spec '54 Warmoth that should be here by October. One for the wedding band and one for the rock bands.

I suppose if money was no object I'd have a lot more basses but only really for the sake of having them.

Mainly Fenders that marked certain periods or rarities such as a '51 P, a '53, '57 single coil, '57 split coil, custom colours, '68 Telecaster. Other early landmark instruments such as Rickenbacker 1999, '76 Stingray, Gibson EB1.

I think that if you're happy having these basses and they all mean something to you or have a use then there isn't a problem. If it was a case of "what the hell am I doing with all of these basses?" then I'd reconsider keeping them all.

I'm on 6 at the moment, soon to be 7:
[b]Fender USA Jazz[/b] ([i]used really regularly[/i])
[b]Parts Precision[/b] ([i]used as a backup to the jazz, and on some Blues sessions I do[/i])
[b]OLP 'ThingRay' [/b]([i]main Drop C bass for FSOF, should become backup when the new Jazz arrives[/i])
[b]Lakland 44-02D[/b] ([i]used in Drop D on one FSOF song[/i])
[b]Shuker EUB [/b]([i]used to play in a Bluegrass band and with a songwriter....not any more[/i])
[b]Squier Bronco Piccolo[/b] ([i]home noodling and solo stuff[/i])
[b]Custom/Parts Jazz Bass[/b] ([i]on it's way, neck nearly built. Will be in Drop C and will be main bass for FSOF[/i])

But having said that, the new Jazz will render the Lakland unused, so will probably sell it. The Shuker is also up for sale as it simply doesn't get used anymore. The money from both sales should hopefully buy me an early 70's Jazz......that's the plan anyway!

Si

Edited by Sibob

[quote name='Stag' post='260583' date='Aug 12 2008, 08:44 AM']I have four - one is my workhorse (Ric 4001), one is for rehearsals and ease of portability (Musicmaster), one is fretless (Aria) and one is always in an odd tuning (Washburn, currently in drop C).

Although I might end owning another one by the end of the day - curse you, GAS![/quote]

My first real bass was a musicmaster (lovely little instrument), and I had a fantastic Aria fretless (both gone). Still got the Ric 4001 though! And a Gibson EB3. They don't see much use, though, 'cause I work with a '69 Excelsior Upright. Also still have my first upright - a handbuilt one-off chamber bass (a little bigger than half-size), maybe 19th century, in need of work and too precious to gig.

Oh ok, maybe it's safe here to confess - I've got a fretted/fretless custom twin-neck bass a mate built for me maybe 20 years ago when he first got into building (now has his own shop - [url="http://www.haywardguitars.co.uk/"]Hayward Guitars[/url], that's a pic of him playing it back in the day at the top of his homepage). I really did use to gig it, it sounds fab, and was really handy 'cause the frontman never worked to a set list and would jumble up the fretted and fretless songs, saved the hassle of changing instrument every song, if not my back!

Plus mr Hayward's old fender acoustic guitar (a gift), and a banjo.