Why become a member? ×

Am I?

I think I fall into the "I've sold most of them on" category. I do try to be circumspect with my purchases, though. My Status basses are the main players and what I suppose people expect me to be playing most of the time, due to my long association with the brand. I've been through a few jazzes (up to the current Japanese Miller) as I think all bass players should have one & I've finally bought a good Precision as I've actually been asked to play one in sessions in the past & in 25 years of bass playing had never owned one. My TRB-6 is great for jazz and other jobs where I really do need the extra range, or if I'm playing with a load of wind players in flat keys all the time.

I think I listed all the ones I've sold or traded over the years on another thread, but still like to try new things. Watch this space...

[i]Now about that Status Streamliner... Oh, how about a Stealth? ... Or maybe an Alembic... Jaydee... AAARRRGGGHHH![/i]

LOL Nick! I need a seriously big bank balance before I complete the wish list...

Status Stealth II
Status Streamliner
Fodera Monarch
Alembic Series II
Jaydee GA-24
Sadowsky with Norstrands

But seriously, I have to generally keep to what I'm going to play and what is earning it's keep money-wise. There's also space to consider, with double basses, cellos, violins, stage piano, etc, etc, etc...

Personally if I can't find a good role for an instrument I can't justify keeping it for long.

As of right now:

traditional 4 stringer
steinberger 4
5 string
4 string fretless
double bass
electric guitar
acoustic guitar

Also have a stage piano and a ton of amps/effects some of which i'm trying to get rid of.

Edited by Oscar South

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='261124' date='Aug 12 2008, 07:49 PM']In that case, I think it's time I set up the first registered charity for deprived and neglected bass guitars that suffer from a degrading form of the worst kind of social exclusion imaginable... inflicted upon them by greedy and wasteful bass guitar collectors!!!

We'll be round in the morning to start 'freeing' up these long-suffering instruments and will work tirelessly to help rehabilitate them back into the community. :huh:[/quote]

count me in :)

Although I'm very impressed by the collections that some people have on the board, I think I'm kinda lucky in that I have at least one bass that I ALWAYS look forward to playing. My Fender Jazz is just one of those basses that excites me every time, I still intend on an early 70's jazz for obvious reasons, But I've often thought that even that would need to be pretty special to pry my one from it's number one slot! I've fallen more and more in love with it since I got it (silverfoxnik has had a quick play on it). It's been played to the point that I've naturally worn through the lacquer to the wood with 'bucklerash', and where I anchor my thumb near the pickup.......and this is the modern fender 'thick-as-hell' lacquer lol.

I've yet to find that 'special' bass in FSOF, hopefully the new Drop C jazz will assume that mantle!

Si

Edited by Sibob

i expect it feels pretty good to have 50+ basses!

ive probably had about 30 over 14 years and i once had 7 at once! personally i found it way too confusing!! i could never decide which one take out with me!! or which would do the job the best!

im now down to 2 sadowskys and sometimes i still cant decide which to take lol

• 1 month later...

I've got two basses at the moment. The most I've ever had at one time is three - and that included an upright. I could see a use for a few more, but I couldn't get into double figures unless I bought a bass on every whim that struck me.

Fair play to the people with big collections, but I couldn't keep anything that I wasn't using, or that didn't have some sort of niche purpose that came in useful from time to time.

[quote name='Mrs Tinman' post='289651' date='Sep 23 2008, 07:58 AM']Can I just ask (out of interest) how on earth do people with such large collections afford the insurance premiums on top of everything else (although I'm guessing if you can afford that many basses the extra cost of insurance premiums are neither here nor there) or do you not insure them?[/quote]

I have a good household policy that includes the covers all of mine with one being specifically covered away from home. Then again I only have 10 :)

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='289623' date='Sep 23 2008, 01:42 AM']...the collection went down by two at the weekend !![/quote]

Yeah and mine went up by one Wayhey cheers Nick,

Im up to 25 Basses and 8 Guitars.

I would love 57 and could easily fill another...gulp 32 :) with a wish list..................hmmmmmmmmmm???????

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='261220' date='Aug 12 2008, 09:34 PM']I'm a bit worried she'll be the world's most prolific collector of purple basses by the time she's old enough to buy her own instruments. Oh Well. :)[/quote]

Is this explained by her being conceived while you were listening to 60s rock behemoths or a 5-foot pixie from Minneapolis?

I wish I had 57. I've currently got 6, although I haven't seen one yet as it's in the States being refurbished (and has been since I bought it). I don't gig with the Alembic or the Sei, mainly because the Alembic s uncomfortable weight-wise and the Sei doesn't work with the band I'm currently in. I use all the Rics though, depending on how I feel at the time, and I play them all (I actually play the Rics least at home). What Id like to know is what does the missus say? Mine goes apesh*t about me having 5! She [i]hates[/i] bass gear. Still, that's probably as much to do with me as the gear; just another thing to give me grief about!

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='260538' date='Aug 12 2008, 01:20 AM']Allo

Does anyone else have over 50 basses? I'm currently at critical mass (seriously) with 57 basses and around 13 guitars. I must stress that this is not in any way shape or form meant to prove anything (other than that I am completely nuts and am about to lose everything {including my mind!} in my quest for furtherage of bass fulfillment!) but I'm intrigued as there are some really great collections out there in Basschat Land. My collection has grown rapidly and having gotten involved here, I've met some really great people with some really amazing basses.

Am I mad?

Cheers.

Nick[/quote]

Where do you put them all? I had enough trouble with storage when I had 4!