Why become a member? ×

Gear Demonstrations

Kevin Dean

looking at some of the demonstrations that manufacturers are putting out , Why does the person doing the playing feel that they have to let everyone know how fast or clever they are at playing . I just want to hear the quality of various settings . The companies could also put more effort into getting a decent sound rather than just releasing some clip that someone has done on a phone . rant over .

I must admit it really grinds my gears watching bass demos and the player is playing all sorts of fiddly diddly crap when as bass players we are 90% of the time playing basic root notes. It feels like they are trying to impress Victor Wooten sometimes.

A proper demo for me is a basic bass line repeated with only the tone knobs being moved around to show the range of tones and whats always a bonus is to see a range of music styles played on it as well.

You're always going to get someone slapping away at 100 miles an hour for some inexplicable reason, but it's when they do that and nothing else that really gets me. For God's sake play some pick and fingerstyle, and slow down, bub! I want to hear the notes!

Having said that, you can't really get much of an idea how a bass sounds from a video as the equipment people listen to the audio on will vary wildly from something decent to tiny laptop speakers and worse.

Also a bass played by person A will sound totally different when played by person B, C and D anyway, so... once again, if you're thinking of buying a bass you really need to find one and play it yourself. Even then it's going to sound different at a gig than it did in the shop...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1422438965' post='2672534']
You're always going to get someone slapping away at 100 miles an hour for some inexplicable reason, but it's when they do that and nothing else that really gets me. For God's sake play some pick and fingerstyle, and slow down, bub! I want to hear the notes!

Having said that, you can't really get much of an idea how a bass sounds from a video as the equipment people listen to the audio on will vary wildly from something decent to tiny laptop speakers and worse.

Also a bass played by person A will sound totally different when played by person B, C and D anyway, so... once again, if you're thinking of buying a bass you really need to find one and play it yourself. Even then it's going to sound different at a gig than it did in the shop...
[/quote]

This.
There are far too many variables to make them anything other than worthless.

Edited by RhysP

They should hire Bobby Vega..he can do it all.

But the fact is... you go to any bass shop and the guy playing the bass will be showing off his best chops...
and slapping 90% of the time.

If that is how you demo your kit, then so be it.

Personally, an online demo is just that...doesn't mean a hill of beans until you play it yourself.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1422440568' post='2672561']
They should hire Bobby Vega..he can do it all.

But the fact is... you go to any bass shop and the guy playing the bass will be showing off his best chops...
and slapping 90% of the time.

[/quote]

It's actually quite rare for us to get major slapping going on in the shop. Maybe just because we have an older customer base than a high street store.

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1422437591' post='2672517']
looking at some of the demonstrations that manufacturers are putting out , Why does the person doing the playing feel that they have to let everyone know how fast or clever they are at playing.
[/quote]

They hope you will think that ownership of the gear in question will confer the same playing skills upon you; conversely, failure to acquire the kit will condemn you to a life of pedestrian plodding.

For effects I sometimes find the online demos quite useful - it at least gives some idea of what the effect does. For amps/cabs/basses though i think there are too many variables as already described above. I learned my lesson on this after I bought a Ric 4004Cii online after trawling through online stuff. I couldn't get the bass anywhere near the online demos and ended up trading the bass for a 4003 which uncannily sounded like the online demos of the 4004 when I played it through my rig.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1422440646' post='2672563']
Check out Ed Friedland, the bass whisperer, on YouTube.

He does sensible and relevant product demos and reviews.
[/quote]

+1

And Dan Veall (Dood on here) is also very good at giving proper gear demos.

Ive complained about slapping in demos before but now if its done in conjunction with proper playing and in a sensible manner i can see why people who slap would want to know how that sounds.

I do hate it when the recording is of crap quality though, if your going to demo something be it as a manufacture or just someone in the bedroom invest in some decent recording gear and learn how to use it. I could even forgive crap playing as long as the crap playing comes through crystal clear haha.