Why become a member? ×

Where can I get a cardboard box to ship my Bass? Suggestions please...

Greg.Bassman

Hey lads, bit of a strange question now but...

Does anybody know where I can get my hands on a cardboard box; one that is large enough to house a Fender SKB Hard case?

I'm due to sell my Fender Jazz to 'Sparky Mark', and need to ship. Everything is set, all bar a friggin' CARDBOARD BOX! (lol)

I've been to all the music stores in Birmingham (PMT, GG, Fair deal etc), even been to retailers like Halfords, homebase etc- but no joy at all. Nobody seems to have a cardboard box!

Suggestions please. All feedback appreciated. Much thanks.

Last time I shipped a bass I had no cardboard box. Instead, I wrapped the hardcase in 4 layers of heavy duty bubble wrap, put the case and wrap into 2 layers of rubble quality bin bags and use a roll of brown tape to seal it all off. safe as houses, arrived perfectly and, unless your a packing properly and suspending the bass case inside the cardboard box, it couldn't have been safer.

Anyone who decided to go into business selling boxes for guitar shipping would be a very rich man, the eternal ball-ache of sourcing one when it's selling time!

Edited by 40hz

[quote name='deanovw' timestamp='1421852782' post='2665788']
Last one I got was from Halfords and once housed a bike.

I wandered in and politly asked if they had a spare box. I then wandered out with a massive box made out of very strong cardboard.

:D
[/quote]

Yes this is what i was recommended to do.
I did, and it worked great!

[quote name='deanovw' timestamp='1421852782' post='2665788']
Last one I got was from Halfords and once housed a bike.

I wandered in and politly asked if they had a spare box. I then wandered out with a massive box made out of very strong cardboard.

:D
[/quote]

This ^^^

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1421857388' post='2665874']
Bike boxes are the way to go. If a shop has boxes they tend to be only too glad to get rid of them. I've never had any problem getting one (provided the shop actually has some empty ones around).
[/quote]

The Halfords in Ealing Ealing block an exterior fire exit with theirs. Double win.

Go to your local Aldi/Lidl/cheapo supermarket of your choice & get 4 or 5 of the heavy-duty fruit & veg boxes they'll have stacked up ready to chuck out.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:59500]

While you're there, pick up a £5 hot-melt glue gun which you can then use to stick the boxes together around the bass/case/model of Notre Dame Catherdral made from matchsticks that you intend to post. When you're done, you can test the durability of the packaging by flinging it out of an upstairs window - it will be fine.

I've posted basses & guitars packaged like this for years, they've survived ParcelFarce, trips to Australia & even Hermes intact.

Jon.