Why become a member? ×

Youtube bass demos

Bilbo

I take no notice of the reviewers personal thoughts, its about the facts for me and a clear description of what is on offer, something like the Classic stingray its hard to see that the body is a slab in the ebmm pictures for example, the new US standard Fenders have a urethane finish rather than polyester one etc.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1421775569' post='2664882']
Someone like Ed doing a good review is poles apart from some idiot playing a tab terribly recorded with a nokia 3210 though, look how hard it is to grasp Fender models and exactly what you get extra for your cash, often the big corporate websites are full of mistakes regarding finishes, nut widths, scale length, country of origin etc etc.
[/quote]

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1421777175' post='2664903']
Ed Friedland's reviews are the only ones I've ever given any time to...and they are very good actually. (obviously this contradicts my previous statement....but to be honest I simply don't care :D )
[/quote]

[u]Reviewing [/u][size=4]a bass is one thing, but actually giving a demo to hear what the bass sounds like is a different kettle of fish altogether.[/size]

[size=4]I assumed that this thread was about the latter.[/size]

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1421696966' post='2664110']

So far he's cost me Stingray Classic5, three Genz Benz heads and two Genz cabs, one large and one small. Probably planted the idea for a USA Jazz V too, lol. Love him!
[/quote]

He loves G&L basses now ........so get your wallet.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1421778849' post='2664930']

[u]Reviewing [/u][size=4]a bass is one thing, but actually giving a demo to hear what the bass sounds like is a different kettle of fish altogether.[/size]

[size=4]I assumed that this thread was about the latter.[/size]
[/quote]
True, the only review that counts is your own really.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1421595798' post='2663055']
I get sick of all the bedroom " wizards " that think they can play, who insist on clogging up your searches with their covers of songs. Ok, there's a lot of really good guys on there too, but a hell of a lot of tatt !
[/quote]

Agreed,

Now, I have been blown away by some of these guys demos, but like you said there's a lot of [i]"and what made you think you it was ok to post this"[/i] stuff.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1421779229' post='2664936']
[url="http://youtu.be/zxQHRhMpM8Y"]http://youtu.be/zxQHRhMpM8Y[/url]
[/quote]

I realise I slagged off slapping videos, but I take it back when seeing this slapper. He is great fun and is clearly enjoying himself. I love his man whore look too ;)

What I do hate is when someone is demoing a bass and slaps all over it when you want to know how it sounds normally!

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1422186991' post='2669552']
I realise I slagged off slapping videos, but I take it back when seeing this slapper. He is great fun and is clearly enjoying himself. I love his man whore look too ;)

What I do hate is when someone is demoing a bass and slaps all over it when you want to know how it sounds normally!
[/quote]

i think HJ should be given his own stand at NAMM :D

Bass video.
Starts by slapping. I've turned it off at this point,
Turns some knobs arbitrarily.
Slaps some more.
Zero info presented.
Ends by playing some more slap bass.

It's very hard to find a decent quality video where the demoee is explaining and showing different sounds with different techniques.

I have just ordered a new Fender modern player jazz V but was also considering a Squier VM Precision V so started with a bit of YouTube research as you do. I watched reviews of both basses played by the bloke from GAK and then both the official Fender demos played by Mel Brown.
There was vastly more of a difference between the sounds that the 2 players got than there was between the 2 basses in either case.
When I tried both basses out myself at PMT I could clearly hear the difference between them but it was more noticeable that I didn't sound like either of the guys on YouTube. Fortunately though I was more than happy with the sound I got myself anyway :)

I've always wondered how this scenario would pan out for a review video.
Have a band play a verse and a chorus in loops. Give the bass player different basses and leave amp setting flat only adjusting the imput gain to level the output.
Would there be as much difference as we think once they're in the mix I wonder...