Why become a member? ×

New Fenders for 2015, inc. USA Geddy Lee..

wateroftyne

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1421346063' post='2660240']
[size=5][b]Uses[/b]
[color=#000000][b]Okoumé is one of the best timber species for plywood[/b]. [/color][/size]
[size=5][color=#000000]It is made into blockboard, particle board and veneer,[/color][/size]
[size=5][color=#000000]The wood can be used as firewood and is suitable for the production of pulp for papermaking.[/color][/size]
[size=5][color=#000000]It is also applied to treat superficial wounds and abscesses, and as a water disinfectant. [/color][/size]
[size=5][color=#000000][b]The astringent bark is used to treat diarrhoea[/b].[/color][/size]
[/quote]

Sold. Why have I been bothering with Warwick's African Hardwoods all these years?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1421342418' post='2660184']
I mean... seriously, Fender?

This looked dated when you did it for Victor Bailey ten years ago. Now it just looks like an anachronism.

Honestly, they're losing the plot.
[/quote]

That's the sort of finish I'd expect on a HBenton DIY bass - at £68

Edited by ColinB

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1421346716' post='2660250']
I wonder how the new Geddy will stack up against the old Jap one, its definately less attractive.
[/quote]

Over twice the price! Interesting that they talk about a more chunky neck profile too... surely the most attractive feature of the Geddy sigs is the slim neck?

Also, that's now [i][b]three[/b][/i] Geddies in the range - MIM (that used to be CIJ - the "original"), the custom shop version and now this one!

It just smacks of change for the sake of change. That said, I like the pearl blocks on the maple board - classy! B)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='ColinB' timestamp='1421395168' post='2660649']
That's the sort of finish I'd expect on a HBenton DIY bass - at £68

[/quote]

At £68 for that lot it does make you wonder how they get to £1400 for something like my US std Jazz V doesn't it? Won't stop me buying more though so I guess that is why and yet they are still millions in debt! Lol

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1421439582' post='2661371']
OMG they're genuinely clueless!

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-limited-edition-sandblasted-american-standard-precision-bass-sapphire-blue-transparent/109012"]http://www.gak.co.uk...nsparent/109012[/url]
[/quote]

There's something decidedly stonewashed about that. I'm with you WoT, I think clueless sums it up.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1421439582' post='2661371']
OMG they're genuinely clueless!

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-limited-edition-sandblasted-american-standard-precision-bass-sapphire-blue-transparent/109012
[/quote]

In their defence, they did a 'transparent Crimson' Strat with the sandblasted finish and it's much nicer (IMO!)... The bass looks horrible!!

Of course. Hey it's Fender trying something a little unusual and different not normally seen on a P of J. I don't quite get this "clueless" approach tho.

It seems that anything Fender try differently is pretty much ridiculed on this forum. And if they don't try anything different its seen as the same old boring stuff. I get the impression tho that if it had Sadowsky or Lull on the headstock it would be taken quite differently.

I think it will be interesting to see some of these models once the NAMM show is up and running and to see what the Custom Shop is doing this year.

[quote name='deaky' timestamp='1421444155' post='2661455']
Of course. Hey it's Fender trying something a little unusual and different not normally seen on a P of J. I don't quite get this "clueless" approach tho.

It seems that anything Fender try differently is pretty much ridiculed on this forum. And if they don't try anything different its seen as the same old boring stuff. I get the impression tho that if it had Sadowsky or Lull on the headstock it would be taken quite differently.

I think it will be interesting to see some of these models once the NAMM show is up and running and to see what the Custom Shop is doing this year.
[/quote]

I'd have no problem with these if they were in addition to stuff people have been asking for for years. A better selection of colours, more PJs, P's with blocks.. But they just keep coming out with nowt-nor-summink doggerel that no-one is going to buy.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1421444539' post='2661460']

I'd have no problem with these if they were in addition to stuff people have been asking for for years. A better selection of colours, more PJs, P's with blocks.. But they just keep coming out with nowt-nor-summink doggerel that no-one is going to buy.
[/quote]

Is that what the majority of people want or what you would personally like and how do you know no one will buy them?

[quote name='deaky' timestamp='1421445372' post='2661467']

Is that what the majority of people want or what you would personally like and how do you know no one will buy them?
[/quote]

I suppose there could be significant demand for a bass that looks like it's finished in rotting dolphin.

[quote name='deaky' timestamp='1421444155' post='2661455']

[/quote]

I get the impression that rather than think hard about innovation, Fender just adopt a 'change for changes sake' approach. Compare them with EBMM, OK, some challenging designs, but often linked to genuine innovation.

As for the Custom Shop, their Prototype series seems to be losing direction quickly, which is a shame.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1421445647' post='2661477']

I get the impression that rather than think hard about innovation, Fender just adopt a 'change for changes sake' approach. Compare them with EBMM, OK, some challenging designs, but often linked to genuine innovation.

As for the Custom Shop, their Prototype series seems to be losing direction quickly, which is a shame.
[/quote]

I don't think the do "change for change sake" at all I think they try to remain competitive and relevant which is the same for any company. The last innovative EBMM model I recall was that black "Gamechanger" bass which I havent saw much of.
In what way do you think the Prototype series has lost direction?

[quote name='deaky' timestamp='1421445953' post='2661482']
In what way do you think the Prototype series has lost direction?
[/quote]

If you can't see why some people think the recent prototypes are... almost comical, there's no point trying to explain it. Clearly there's a difference in tastes going on here. Y'know, that's fine.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1421444539' post='2661460']
[/quote]
[quote name='deaky' timestamp='1421445372' post='2661467']
[/quote]

Having sold Fenders for a couple of years a few years back I tend to agree with WoT - Fender buyers are relatively conservative. They want the classics. Now Fender are lucky in that they have a great catalogue of classics which they really don't exploit well - all those lovely colours, binding, blocks, the different period shapes. Use those but then throw in some updates - a few more 5 strings looking like the old classics, different active options, do limited runs of the great old colours (could re-do this every couple of years, keeping people's interest. I'm sorry but that highlighted sandblasted bass looked like someone's DT project, and yes, clueless does seem to sum it up nicely (as backed up by their current financial woes).