Why become a member? ×

My Bass Projects

scojack

Thanks for the positive comments folks :D keeps an old man going ....I usually start to flag at this stage as all the 'big' stuff is done, all the jobs that are left are pretty monotonous.

Simon - must admit i wish i had another board of Tigerwood in the stash it's lovely stuff. I will take a pic of my EUB sometime which has an identical fingerboard, over time it has turned to a deep orange/red/brown colour, looks even better imo. I think Rob Allen uses Tigerwood (Or Goncalo Alves) as fingerboards too.

Owen -- what [b][i]DO[/i][/b] you mean :lol:

IanM

Edited by scojack

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1428176108' post='2738901']
Hey, thanks for that! The only problem is that if I play it I will want to have it :)
[/quote]

Naw... :P I meant why no try building one yourself?
Damn site easier than knocking out a Queen Anne bow fronted dresser.
I used to visit a guy in Fife who my mate would get to set up his guitars, Ian Watt.. built beautiful bespoke furniture,and did a wee sideline in Basses too.

IanM

Finished the neck, so with no router to do the last bit i went on and did a bit of sanding..

Remodelled the body to bring the speed stripe out a bit more at the front, i think this improves the line a wee bit.

Finally slapped some lacquer on to seal it and fill the grain.
The neck is Goncalo Alves,(the same as the FB) but with no tiger stripes, it does have a little ripple though :) again this will get darker through time so the satinwood stripe will have more contrast,.

I,ll have a new router by next weekend and can finally do the pickups.
Still to buy the other hardware yet, i was going to go for black but thinking gold now :unsure:

IanM

Edited by scojack

[quote name='scojack' timestamp='1428226813' post='2739216']
Naw... :P I meant why no try building one yourself?
Damn site easier than knocking out a Queen Anne bow fronted dresser.
I used to visit a guy in Fife who my mate would get to set up his guitars, Ian Watt.. built beautiful bespoke furniture,and did a wee sideline in Basses too.

IanM
[/quote]
I have built one bass, a medium scale Alembic type fretless...it actually worked out quite well and has a nice tone. If I had more spare time then I would like another go.

Your woodworking is really sharp....I'm more of a wood butcher in comparison.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1428439062' post='2741334']
I have built one bass, a medium scale Alembic type fretless...it actually worked out quite well and has a nice tone. If I had more spare time then I would like another go.

Your woodworking is really sharp....I'm more of a wood butcher in comparison.
[/quote]

It's all smoke and mirrors m8, majority of the work is done using a router and templates, there is surprising little 'real' whittling involved.
Would love to see your fretless :)

And thanks for all the kind comments from everyone it really is appreciated :)

IanM

Edited by scojack

• 1 month later...