Why become a member? ×

My Bass Projects

scojack

Bout time i did something for myself .

Eventually found a nice facing i like (that didn't need a kidney sale) bagged it and got started.
Made a good few mods to the last design but hopefully kept the overall look & feel ....
33" Scale length again cause i loves it :)

This was a back n side set so i jointed the sides together and used them for the speed stripe ..

And the back ...

Tigerwood board + Satinwood binding

I have a one piece Tigerwood neck blank ready (left) to use but kinda fancy doing a satinwood stripe up the middle now, just to complete the look.

Could be while though ..arctic conditions on cabbage patch pass (well the path to the shed). :)
Ian

Edited by scojack

Cheers Cameron glad you like it :)
Thanks Rubis, not really got as far as lectrics yet, i did like the EMG HZ's passive humbuckers i used the last time though, i was thinking about using them again but with coil tap switches, i do like their sound but found them mibbies a bit 'bassey' so using a single coil might extend the range a wee bit. -- need to do a little research but there's no rush (thoughts/suggestions/comments/recommendations welcome :D ) , quite fancy a 'proper' active set of EMG's too (save the bother) but this could all change :rolleyes:
Ian

Edited by scojack

• 2 weeks later...

Few hours today....
Got the back carved and managed to prep a new neck blank, tigerwood/satinwood/tigerwood.
Fiddled with the top horn, the outside curve had become a little flat in the middle (over enthusiastic sanding). :)

Ian

Edited by scojack

• 1 month later...

Just a little progress
Neck joint done and glued the headstock veneers. Also did another tigerwood FB with the same binding as the top (Eucalyptus), i had some left over from my last build.... got to thinking that there wouldn't be a better bass to use it up on, looks good so i'll probably go for this.
Hopefully get out into the shed this weekend so i'll get some pics then.
Thanks for the good comments :)
Ian

Managed to put in a few hours this weekend.....
Got all the construction finished for the neck, settled for the Eucalyptus binding on the FB ...

Had some stuff left over for a matching headstock but it didn't have a lot of figure, went for this instead which will match nicely when it's all done.
The Tigerwood looks really light when it's freshly sanded, gets darker over time.

All done for another week !

Ian

Andy, hopefully the woods should all blend together nicely in the end (well thats the plan) its been a few days and the Fingerboard is already much darker than it was.
Owen.... glad you like 'em :) , this will probably be the last i'll document on here TBH.

Thanks again Fellows !
Roll on the weekend, get the side dots in and FB radiussed and then on to my most hated of jobs ....routing the body :(

Ian

Edited by scojack

[quote name='scojack' timestamp='1420984633' post='2655777']
Cheers Cameron glad you like it :)
Thanks Rubis, not really got as far as lectrics yet, i did like the EMG HZ's passive humbuckers i used the last time though, i was thinking about using them again but with coil tap switches, i do like their sound but found them mibbies a bit 'bassey' so using a single coil might extend the range a wee bit. -- need to do a little research but there's no rush (thoughts/suggestions/comments/recommendations welcome :D ) , quite fancy a 'proper' active set of EMG's too (save the bother) but this could all change :rolleyes:
Ian
[/quote]
Lookin' good, ace :)

I recall seeing an ACG bass with a single-coil in the bridge position and a humbucker in the neck position with some sort of coil tapping going on - maybe worth a look if I can find the thread?

EDIT: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/9623-acg-build-progress/page__view__findpost__p__1737036"]Here[/url] it is!

Edited by Bottle

Cheers Bottle,
That's the kind of thing i was on about, those HZ's are a tad hot for my liking.
I have gone and acquired some pucker active Jazz Bass EMGs for this now though, really looking forward to hearing them.

(Leads me onto a question for the electrics boffs) I am quite happy to use a passive tone control, but........ If i bung a pre-amp in for an active tone (probably NOT an EMG system btw)....can it run off the same battery as the pickups or should i route the bass for two batteries?

IanM

Edited by scojack