Why become a member? ×

Buckeye Burl Ibanez SR, 2K

alittlebitrobot

Any thoughts on this? I think it's lovely-looking but I'm also posting it because I think it's interesting to see all this blurring of brand-name perception. I know Ibanez are seen as good-for-the-price kind of basses, and now there's this high-price, higher-spec apparition. The same used to be said about Squier. Fenders cheap, kind of crappy budget option. Now, not only to people love Squiers, but standards appear to slipping in American-made Fenders to the extent that many people prefer Squiers. (I don't play either Squier or Fender. Please don't lynch me if you disagree. I'm just passing on what I've gleamed from Basschat and Talkbass)
Anyway, I think it's interesting. Would you pay this much for a Soundgear? I have an SR506 and I like it a lot, but if I had this kind of money to spend on a bass, I wouldn't go for a Soundgear.

[url="http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2014/12/19/ibanez-unveils-limited-edition-buckeye-burl-sr-premium-bass/"]http://www.notreble....r-premium-bass/[/url]

Edited by alittlebitrobot

Ibanez build brilliant entry level instruments, mid range instruments (Premium) and exceptional professional quality instruments (prestige). Their highest calibre instruments are without a doubt easily as good as anything within the same price range....and better than most.

You need to get hands on with a prestige quality Ibanez to appreciate the difference in quality to their less expensive models.

It looks nice but seems rather expensive,I paid £900 for my SR1605 & it's a cracking bass for the money.
that Ltd model looks far to expensive to me,you could but something very nice indeed for similar money,but if you really like it why not.

Edited by artisan

I'm pretty certain at least one BCer has invested in one of these recently - maybe they'll be along soon to comment on their purchase. I've read that the top end Ibanez basses used to be made in Japan, not sure if this is still true. CNC machining of the body and neck wouldn't bother me in the least - all basses at some point are hand assembled; I assume the high cost of these SR basses comes down to the smaller production run and higher quality/more expensive materials used plus a greater attention to detail in the hand-finishing. If it feels right and sounds right then that's a good reason to buy. Having said all of that I keep looking at ACG basses and having very lustful moments!!! :D

Looks great, I do agree though, like Warwick it's hard to justify that sort of price for a production line built instrument.

It's funny I've not had GAS for a 5 string Ibanez since I was about 17, but I'm lusting after an ATK 805e at the moment

[Img]http://static.weloveshopping.com/shop/music-boulevard/H88560.jpg" class="ipsImage" />

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1419950001' post='2644222']
I think it looks gorgeous and if the SR prestige basses are anything to go by I imagine it will play and sound fantastic. Saying that (when taking exchange rate into account) these are roughly the same price as as ACG custom (starting price of one at least).
[/quote]
I agree about the prestige basses but the bass here is one of the premium range,still brilliant basses but made in Indonesia,like my SR1605.
so while it seems to be over priced I'm sure it will be a fantastic bass but you can buy a better bass with £2000 or so,IMHO.

Edited by artisan

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1419944876' post='2644150']
It seems you're still paying for 2.5ks worth of machine-made bass......there's no mention of hand-built anywhere.

Si
[/quote]

Personally I have absolutely no problem with this. Why would you want to pay a person to do this work when an NC can rip one out more accurately, and in a fraction of the time?

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1419953582' post='2644281']
Looks great, I do agree though, like Warwick it's hard to justify that sort of price for a production line built instrument.

It's funny I've not had GAS for a 5 string Ibanez since I was about 17, but I'm lusting after an ATK 805e at the moment

[/quote]

WOW... That's a gorgeous bass...

And they seem to be available: [url="http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ATK805EWNF/"]http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ATK805EWNF/[/url]

I'm gonna have to have a look in the piggy bank.

In any case - as has been mentioned - the handmade vs. machine made is a silly argument IMO - to spec is to spec. Final finishing, QC, and packaging will always have human oversight when it comes to quality instruments. It can't be left to chance.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1419980561' post='2644654']

Personally I have absolutely no problem with this. Why would you want to pay a person to do this work when an NC can rip one out more accurately, and in a fraction of the time?
[/quote]

I agree with this to a certain extent but I would say there is something special about having a fully handmade bass. Saying that. I'm in love with how the Ibanez looks (and the thin necks are as good as you get IMO)

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1419892589' post='2643799']
You need to get hands on with a prestige quality Ibanez to appreciate the difference in quality to their less expensive models.
[/quote]
Yeah, I'd love to. Once I got over the honeymoon period with my sr506, I have to admit it's a very good bass for the money (€600 wasn't going to get me another six string anywhere that quality) but I can easily imagine how it could be improved. I'd love to try their Veasley or Gary Willis bass.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1419950001' post='2644222']
I think it looks gorgeous and if the SR prestige basses are anything to go by I imagine it will play and sound fantastic. Saying that (when taking exchange rate into account) these are roughly the same price as as ACG custom (starting price of one at least). [/quote]
Funny, that's exactly the luthier that popped into my head when I thought about what I'd do if I had this much money to spend on a bass.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1419953582' post='2644281']
[/quote]

Yeah, the production line/ "handbuilt" distinction doesn't bother me [i]too[/i] much but, if the money and quality are equivalent, then I'd definitely choose to support an independent luthier over a big factory.
I love the look of the ATKs too. There's been a couple in the classifieds here and, only for I'm saving money for tools to make a bass, I'd definitely have one by now.

There's nothing inheritently wrong with production line instruments - my G&Ls are and I love them.
However in this price bracket it's an inefficiency - I'm paying a higher amount for a lower skilled (or at least perceived lower skilled) activity, so all I'm doing is contributing further to Mr Ibanez's bottom line.

This is all academic however as I don't have £2k to spend on a bass and if I did and I picked up a two grand mass produced bass and felt it was the right one for me, I'd have it. It's just that on paper it [I]shouldn't[/I] cost that much.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1419980561' post='2644654']

[/quote]

I obviously have no issues with CNC machines making instruments, my current 3 are machine built, but I feel that once you're into that price bracket, the woods & parts aren't adding too much more, so I'd be looking for keen attention to detail via a human touch.
Essentially, in that price bracket, I'm looking for a bit of art from someone's hand.

Cheers
Si