Why become a member? ×

Right angled or straight

chrisanthony1211

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1419765925' post='2642484']
Like these?

[url="http://tonyfarr.ca/tonyfarr.ca/Win_in_Time_jpg/STRAT_PLATE.jpg"]http://tonyfarr.ca/t...STRAT_PLATE.jpg[/url]
[/quote]

I've already been in contact with that guy! No black ones left. All anyone seems to have is curved ones for side-of-body mounting. :(
P

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1419600479' post='2641169']
Same for me. The cable sits nice and flat against the body and through the strap. Doesn't get caught up on sticky out bits of the drum kit.
[/quote]Forgot about that!!...Its often the case that the stage is so small,or room so tight that we bass players often nearly end up in the drummers lap at times! And what about the racket off the cymbals about 6 inches from our ears!!

[quote name='theplumber' timestamp='1419769933' post='2642545']
Forgot about that!!...Its often the case that the stage is so small,or room so tight that we bass players often nearly end up in the drummers lap at times! And what about the racket off the cymbals about 6 inches from our ears!!
[/quote]

Yep, I never gig without ear plugs.

I prefer right angled jacks. I think they pose less risk of being pulled out and I think they exert less stress on the jack socket.
Also for not being able to fit into a strat style jack socket, I also use right angled ones on my strat as well, you just have to invert it.

The right angled jack on my Fender Custom Shop cables won't stay in one of my basses so I use a neutrik right angled cable for that bass.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1419605857' post='2641233']
The only jacks that I will ever entertain using are the Neutrik Professional (NP) series because the business end is a one piece construction i.e. no rivet joining the solder tag to the jack.

The regular right-angled versions (NP2RX) are workhorse connectors and I've never had one of those fail. There is one exception and that is the right-angled Silent jack which is inherently weak and has a tendency to come apart with heavy use.
[/quote]
That has been my experience so far. I've made nearly all my own cables and the only failure I've had was one of the first generation Neutrik Silent R/A plugs. The newer ones are better but since getting a floor tuner/mute I don't need the mute-when-unplugging feature of the jack plug, so I use standard R/A plugs now on all my instruments.

[quote name='Nodd' timestamp='1419598871' post='2641150']
FWIW, I've always found the right angle jacks more prone to failure,
went back to using some recently in the interests of better ergonomics.
Three failures/breakages in so many months
[/quote]

What are you doing to the jacks??? :lol:

I've been using right angle ones (Neutrik always) for years, never had a failure. Actually, I don't recall the last time I had a cable failing on me, whether at the plug or elsewhere, other than being accidentally cut (heavy lid falling onto a cable) or burnt (solder iron), and that was totlly self-inflicted and not during a gig.