Why become a member? ×

NBD - Don't judge me.

Painy

So,
A couple of weeks ago I started a thread (which is still running) asking people's opinions on Harley Benton basses as I've been getting uncontrollable GAS for a P bass but didn't even have the budget for a Squire let alone a Fender. After hearing some really good things about their basses for the money I decided to pull the trigger on a P/J hotrod deluxe at a couple of quid under £100.
I actually received the bass a few weeks ago and to be honest it looked, played and sounded a million miles above its price point. The only issue for me was that I am a self confessed gear snob. I though I could overcome it as I really liked the bass but couldn't help feeling an irrational pang of shame at being seen on stage with that Harley Benton logo on the headstock and so I began its transformation.
Today is my new bass day in the sense that it is now finished and ready to unveil to the world.
As I say, please don't judge me on the 're-branding (limelight owners backme up here) it's never gonna fool anyone close up but it's made me feel better about playing it out.
Anyway, here she is before (stock photo) and after - headstock reshaped and decal added, vomit inducing printed red tort pickguard covered with subtly glittery white vinyl and finally a thumb rest added.

Whatever floats your boat. If you're happy with it, that's all that counts. :)

Mind you, 99.9999% of punters really couldn't care less what it says on your headstock and they won't even be looking. And 99% of those 99.9999% probably can't tell the difference between a bass and a guitar at five paces, anyway! :)

Edited by discreet

Looks a nice bass!

For the record I have no issue with fake logos, I even put one on my Squier jazz, my issue with it compared to most situations was two fold, firstly Limelight like it or not are operating as a business regardless of the size of the company and that is just wrong for a company to do it, thats not my opinion its law, secondly people said they were clearly not trying to be passed off as fakes due to the logo on the rear logo, well I'm sorry a scribble in sharpie made to look a bit like the bass tech put it there to be able to tell one bass from another is hardly like a proper logo under the laquer declaring it as a copy.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1419501510' post='2640425']
...my issue with it compared to most situations was two fold, firstly Limelight like it or not are operating as a business regardless of the size of the company and that is just wrong for a company to do it, thats not my opinion its law, secondly people said they were clearly not trying to be passed off as fakes due to the logo on the rear logo, well I'm sorry a scribble in sharpie made to look a bit like the bass tech put it there to be able to tell one bass from another is hardly like a proper logo under the laquer declaring it as a copy...
[/quote]

Hello, where did [i]this[/i] come from all of a sudden? This is Painy's NBD thread! :D
In any case, MMR announced a while back that he's no longer using F-decals on his basses.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1419521650' post='2640636']

Hello, where did [i]this[/i] come from all of a sudden? This is Painy's NBD thread! :D
In any case, MMR announced a while back that he's no longer using F-decals on his basses.
[/quote]

Merry Christmas and a happy NBD?! Nah, needless rant about an 'issue' that no longer exists with a product not owned! Classic basschat behaviour unfortunately...

On the flip side, Merry Christmas and a happy NBD to the OP :-)

Thanks guys for the positive comments and happy Christmas to you all. I know no body else is really likely to have a clue what bass it is with our without the logo or far more importantly to care either way but I do feel much happier with the bass now. To be honest though, I actually feel quite proud of my handiwork so if someone were ever to compliment me on my bass at a gig chances are I'd tell them what I'd done to it anyway :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1419521650' post='2640636']

[/quote]
[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1419454528' post='2640214']
The only issue for me was that I am a self confessed gear snob. I though I could overcome it as I really liked the bass but couldn't help feeling an irrational pang of shame at being seen on stage with that Harley Benton logo on the headstock and so I began its transformation.
Today is my new bass day in the sense that it is now finished and ready to unveil to the world.
As I say, please don't judge me on the 're-branding (limelight owners backme up here) it's never gonna fool anyone close up but it's made me feel better about playing it out.

[/quote]

If you read the other posts the clues are in there ;)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1419533384' post='2640737']
I think it looks the biz and I bet very versatile too?
[/quote]

Thankyou. I've used active basses exclusively for about 17 years now so this is my first passive bass since then and I've been amazed at just how versatile it is. It's also been so much easier to plug in and play with a great usable sound. I'm finding that the clarity of the tone fully up works for me every time as I tend to find its a little muffled when rolled off. After that I can get all the tones I could possibly want mixing between the p and j pups.

I've just bought my first fully passive bass in a long time too, I'm getting used to it and resisting the option of fitting a preamp. I wish I could get used to P basses, I'll bet the low B sounds great with the tone rolled off on the P pickup if you find the right song for it.
My ears are very tuned in to active basses though are yours?

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1419527736' post='2640694']
Looks really nice now, well done Painy.

When I gig my Sandberg VM4, [b]neither the audience [i]nor the rest of the band[/i] have any idea[/b] whether it is a cheap knockoff Fender copy or a high-quality modern take on a classic design!
[/quote]

Ha, true!

The number of times I've been at rehearsal and one band member says "oh, is that new?".

The answer sometimes is "no, I've used it for the past 3-4 rehearsals and gigged with it in this band last year a few times".

:lol:

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1419537714' post='2640772']
Nice bass dude, sorry tho can't agree with the change in logo

But glad your happy man
[/quote]

Yeah, I wouldn't change it because I'd feel like a cheat... but that's just me and only me [1]. If the OP likes it that's all that matters. With the new pickguard it looks a hundred times better too!

[1] To clarify: I'd feel a little uncomfortable if someone pointed out to me "that's not a Fender!". I'm a bit of a reverse snob, I enjoy getting good sounds out of "budget" instruments to shut up some snobs (OLP, Westfield, Squier, J&D...). I had a great encounter with one who praised my Stingray tone and went into a spontaneous mini-rant about copies... I enjoyed immensely to point out I was playing an OLP that night (with SD preamp and pickups and set up beautifully, but it was an OLP and said so on the headstock)

Edited by mcnach

Haha. Knew this would be a little bit controversial and absolutely fine with all the views expressed. For those who aren't so keen on the idea I do actually get where you're coming from too and appreciate that you've all pretty much said each to their own in any case.
For me though this was more about making myself happy with the bass than about fooling anyone else just as most women will wear make up to appear as attractive to other people as possible even though everyone will be able to see that they are wearing make up. Ultimately it's about making them feel as good about themselves as possible and hopefully you can see that this is the angle I was coming from. Logo aside though I'm glad the change to the pickguard seems to be unanimously well received :) !
Changes aside though these basses are well worth a look for anyone after an affordable five string. I had to raise the bass side and lower the treble side on the p pup to get the output level across the strings and tweak the truss rod a little too to get the action down and it was good to go sound and playability wise. Output from the pickups is pretty weak in all honesty but I just set the input on my amp to compensate and it sounds great!

Edited by Painy

I am pleased you like the bass. They are certainly better than the price suggests.

The headstock thing i think is cool, Your not trying to sell it etc as a fender so no harm. If i had a bass with another decal on and someone asked about it i would say what it really is. If someone came over started saying your fender is awesome though i probably would just play along with it.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1419610027' post='2641271']
Funnily enough, I often get asked about my basses.. ;)
[/quote]
Fender copies :P :D

Most people in the audience would presume my Jazz to be more valuable than my Classic5 with an rrp nearly a grand more because they have heard of Fender, would your average punter know of Musicman?