Why become a member? ×

early eighties recording quality...

notable9

[quote name='notable9' timestamp='1419024072' post='2635888']
Whether I "hanker" after anything is irrevelant. The whole point of the thread was to debate what appears to be quite an interesting topic.

Here is a tune which I hope illustrates my interest in the thread title. And I accept that this particular tune will find very little if any love on this forum but then that's not the point, I just think it's a good example.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38L7S-L9vXg"]https://www.youtube....h?v=38L7S-L9vXg[/url]

Thats what I mean by sparkle...
[/quote]

It's strange how personal and subjective this all gets.

To me this mix lacks body in everything. The bass is too midrange heavy, and has no weight, yet clutters the frequency space I'd want weight from the snare, which is completely balls free having been eq'ed way too bright to be a convincing back beat, or even snare sound.

The horns are also so lacing in heft as to have no punch at all, the piano is less bright, which is a blessed relief, but could have more wood in the tone, it's a bit non-descript and characterless, but that's because it is competing directly with the vocal, which is very nicely performed and captured.

It's all just so plastic feeling to me.

If you wanted an example of perfect 80's production the it has to be this, nothing else cones close, Bruce Swedian is a God.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D5-405Vvn3OU&ved=0CCIQtwIwAQ&usg=AFQjCNGerhZAj1kBGMT793dBmmcPLqubbQ

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1419180985' post='2637311']
Problem is, it's obvious which file is which and I want to avoid any possible placebo effect - so I'm going to burn each file to a CD and get the current mrs discreet to play them to me randomly thorugh my Linn system. Will report back with my findings.
[/quote]

Good idea! I should have thought sooner... could have converted the mp3 back to WAV and done A and B for a proper test. Nevermind!

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1418983656' post='2635405']
as several posters have said, IMO, it's todays production values that are the problem, no space around the different instruments, not all old is good, always thought Spectors stuff sounded horrible.
On the subject of mp3's I saw a TV show a few years ago where they did a blind listening test in a acoustically designed theatre. top notch HiFi listening to Floyds Other Side of the Moon, on vinyl, CD and mp3 at 320mbps, the mp3 won.
[/quote]

that's surprising.
I'd have thought the CD and mp3 would not be different enough for a clear winner between them to be declared.

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1419210508' post='2637704']

If you wanted an example of perfect 80's production the it has to be this, nothing else cones close, Bruce Swedian is a God.....

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D5-405Vvn3OU&ved=0CCIQtwIwAQ&usg=AFQjCNGerhZAj1kBGMT793dBmmcPLqubbQ"]http://www.youtube.c...793dBmmcPLqubbQ[/url]
[/quote]

What is the link to? I keep getting a terms of use violation message when I click on it.

Sorry to drag this thread off course a bit but is there a difference in the sound quality of different major radio sations, especially radio 1 and capital radio, I get the impression that the sound is shaped to sound better in a car as that seems to be the most popular way to listen to the radio. Capital seems to be "all bump and tizz" no midrange whereas radio 1 sounds more "flatter"

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1419784748' post='2642682']
I think a lot of people are well and truly living in the past, as is quite often the case on this site.

:)
[/quote]

It's easy to dismiss it as nostalgia, but it's just a taste thing. Some people like mixes that are dynamic and have space. Some don't.

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1419801486' post='2642852']
Sorry to drag this thread off course a bit but is there a difference in the sound quality of different major radio sations, especially radio 1 and capital radio, I get the impression that the sound is shaped to sound better in a car as that seems to be the most popular way to listen to the radio. Capital seems to be "all bump and tizz" no midrange whereas radio 1 sounds more "flatter"
[/quote]

Pop stations have been routinely compressed for decades, which is why bands used to produce a 'radio mix' for the purpose.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1419802502' post='2642861']
Pop stations have been routinely compressed for decades, which is why bands used to produce a 'radio mix' for the purpose.
[/quote]

Yeah I know about the 'pop' mix, but the tone of the radio stations themselves is different too. Do radio stations aim for a certain tone. As I said before, radio 1 and capital radio have a different tonal quality. Radio 1 tends to sound more bright and 'up front' whereas capital sounds more 'full' and rounded. You tend to notice this more in the car.

Or am I finally goimg mad :D

Edited by mentalextra

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1419814444' post='2642994']
Yeah I know about the 'pop' mix, but the tone of the radio stations themselves is different too. Do radio stations aim for a certain tone. As I said before, radio 1 and capital radio have a different tonal quality. Radio 1 tends to sound more bright and 'up front' whereas capital sounds more 'full' and rounded. You tend to notice this more in the car.

Or am I finally goimg mad :D
[/quote]I listen to Gold, a DAB station and they seem to get a really nice bass tone, especially in the car, where lets face it you need compression otherwise you can't hear the quiet bits over car noise, I often wonder why manufacturers don't build in a compressor into car radios.
So, yes, radio stations have got different tonal qualities

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1419845463' post='2643059']
I listen to Gold, a DAB station and they seem to get a really nice bass tone, especially in the car, where lets face it you need compression otherwise you can't hear the quiet bits over car noise, I often wonder why manufacturers don't build in a compressor into car radios.
So, yes, radio stations have got different tonal qualities
[/quote]

I don't know how true this is, but I have heard that Classic FM has to feed its music through some very heavy-handed compressors because the dynamic range of good-quality orchestral recordings is typically much greater than on most pop and rock recordings, and they can't risk car drivers being scared out of their wits if there's a sudden jump from [i]pianissimo [/i]to [i]forte[/i]!

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1419861783' post='2643268']
I don't know how true this is, but I have heard that Classic FM has to feed its music through some very heavy-handed compressors because the dynamic range of good-quality orchestral recordings is typically much greater than on most pop and rock recordings, and they can't risk car drivers being scared out of their wits if there's a sudden jump from [i]pianissimo [/i]to [i]forte[/i]!
[/quote]I would imagine that's true, we criticise radio station for heavy handed compression but it's necessary for cars and, lets face it that's where most radio listening takes place. As I said before it's a shame car radios haven't got a built in compressor that we could adjust to suit taste, but I think it's a bit late in the day for that

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1419863336' post='2643285']
As I said before it's a shame car radios haven't got a built in compressor that we could adjust to suit taste, but I think it's a bit late in the day for that
[/quote]

Yes, and pretty much unnecessary imho - given the doubts and uncertainties to which even regular users of compressors (such as ourselves) are prone, imagine the general public getting their hands on them... a car radio compressor would end up either on or off and not many regular punters would be able to tell the difference anyway. Or am I underestimating the great British public again..? :)

Edited by discreet

I don't think music sounded better in the eighties at all. If you like clicking bass drums, gated snares, digital reverb and treble added to almost every sound and the instruments commonly heard on eighties pop records it means you like eighties production. That's all. The argument about digital formats and anologue vs digital and all that stuff is irrelevant.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1419861783' post='2643268']
[/quote]

Yep. Compare BBC Radio 3 and Classic FM... R3 is pretty much unlistenable on the motorway. But then few composers wrote/write with motorway journeys in mind.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1419869977' post='2643362']
...few composers wrote/write with motorway journeys in mind.
[/quote]

Obviously earlier composers had no concept of any kind of recording at all and would no doubt be astounded at our audio machines on the one hand and appalled, confused and infuriated by what passes for music in the twenty-first century on the other... :D

I bet if John Adams were dead he's be turning in his grave now, or something.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1419870968' post='2643379']
Obviously earlier composers had no concept of any kind of recording at all and would no doubt be astounded at our audio machines on the one hand and appalled, confused and infuriated by what passes for music in the twenty-first century on the other... :D

I bet if John Adams were dead he's be turning in his grave now, or something.
[/quote]

In the early 20th century Arnold Schoenberg wrote an essay called (I think) The Radio is the Enemy in which described how he anticipated listening habits would change for the worse once music became available on tap in a lossy format. Plus ca change...