Why become a member? ×

BTW...what is a Pro..??

JTUK

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1418894234' post='2634453']
Not that there's anything wrong with that I must add, it's why we're all here :)
[/quote]

Hey Dan, I reckon you're the extant personification of the definition: 'One who does whatever is necessary to make a living out of bass guitar-related activities'. Not too far from the truth, I bet. :D

Edited by discreet

I'd expand it beyond just playing - anyone who earns their living through music. My cousin has been a pro sax player all her adult life (after finishing studying) and she's taught, depped, played in bands, played to backing tapes in India, done session work, mimed on TV (even pretended to be a backing singer for Craig David on daytime TV!).

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1418904440' post='2634633']

Hey Dan, I reckon you're the extant personification of the definition: 'One who does whatever is necessary to make a living out of bass guitar-related activities'. Not too far from the truth, I bet. :D
[/quote]

I think you're right there! Thank you!!
Being a musician isn't just about playing - there's an incredible breadth to the opportunites that can be undertaken in that 'role'. Lots of which form my income and make up just one definition of 'being professional'. I work hard to make sure work is coming in yes, but as has been noted above, there's 'being a pro' and 'being professional' - and this is where my favourite mantra, courtesy of Mr Nathan East comes in:

Aptitude + Altitude = Altitude

There is plenty of music related work I have done in the past that didn't directly result in payment but having the right attitude meant also meant I was re-employed.

Any 'professional' is someone
who earns a living from a particular profession or trade - in this case music - and has acquired the skills or in some cases qualifications/ standards necessary to do so.

Personally, in this context, I associate it with someone who has made a career out of music - rather than someone who earns a bit of extra income from it as a paying hobby.

I think the term professional inherently implies a certain level of skill and ability. Generally speaking, you'd need to be a musician of a certain standard in order to make a career out of it. Or be exceptionally lucky. Thankful the same doesn't typically apply to other professions, such as brain surgery.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1418893523' post='2634437']
^ and this is why I won't play charity gigs anymore, turn early and set up all your own kit, play a short set to get warmed up, decide to have a break and probably something to eat as you haven't stopped all day, the person that said they wanted to do a half hour set doesn't turn up or you just really need a rest and possibly there are a lot of people not there yet so you leave it a bit longer whilst playing some music instead, all for nothing but a pat on the back and your a bunch of unprofessional w***ers. I know I'm pulling apart a situation you were at and I wasn't but I've heard so many similar stories now that I just wont do them anymore :)
[/quote]

I know what you mean and in the situation you outline, I completely agree, and wouldn't blame you - but , they set up and sound checked, with the pro house engineer, before doors opened at 8.30 p.m., and didn't go on until 9, played a great first set to about 200 punters, which was really 'building', with people up dancing, and then...........

We're off for a pint, and here's some background off he iPod.

Just because you are not being paid, doesn't mean it should be treated as a public rehearsal, and I was just frustrated by the attitude, when so many bands play to one man and an unappreciative dog.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1418836161' post='2633909']

I think a 'pro' is a player who would [i]never [/i]visit a forum that is specifically aimed at them. For example, most 'pro' bass players wouldn't touch BassChat with a ten-foot long bass-playing pole, would they?
[/quote]

I would and I do.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1418924593' post='2634955']
Any 'professional' is someone
who earns a living from a particular profession or trade - in this case music - and has acquired the skills or in some cases qualifications/ standards necessary to do so.

Personally, in this context, I associate it with someone who has made a career out of music - rather than someone who earns a bit of extra income from it as a paying hobby.

I think the term professional inherently implies a certain level of skill and ability. Generally speaking, you'd need to be a musician of a certain standard in order to make a career out of it. Or be exceptionally lucky. Thankful the same doesn't typically apply to other professions, such as brain surgery.
[/quote]

Very well put.

[quote name='woodster' timestamp='1419198191' post='2637562']
I would and I do.
[/quote]
[quote name='merlin' timestamp='1419199656' post='2637586']
+1 :D
[/quote]

Right, I need to see pics of your ten-foot bass-playing poles or it's not happening. :D

@woodster:
'That' single was the backdrop to my life for about six months in 2000... :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1419203903' post='2637649']

Right, I need to see pics of your ten-foot bass-playing poles or it's not happening. :D

@woodster:
'That' single was the backdrop to my life for about six months in 2000... :)
[/quote]

Mine too!!!

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1418761073' post='2633120']
Someone who doesn't use a music stand...

...or does :ph34r:
[/quote]

And spends the same time practicing that most members here do discussing pointless stuff... Such as the use of music stands! :-P

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1419452361' post='2640200']

And spends the same time practicing that most members here do discussing pointless stuff... Such as the use of music stands! :-P
[/quote]

I think you'll find that proffesional musicians regard practicing as cheating.