Why become a member? ×

Limelight '63 Jazz relic - Olympic white *SOLD*
£750

wateroftyne

Hey gang

I'm selling my Limelight '63 Jazz medium relic. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/239185-nbd-limelight-63-jazz-medium-relic/"]Here's the NBD thread[/url].

I love this bass so much I'm going to order a Limelight Precision (unless an interesting P trade offer comes up!) but I need funds to do so, hence the sale.

It was built in December 2012, and I'm the second owner. It's the perfect weight and balance, IMO - probaby around 8.5lbs.

It has a Precision profile neck, which almost exactly mirrors my treasured '71 Precision. For some reason the previous owner removed the marker-pen Limelight signature from the back (Mark has confirmed it's #001100) - which is a shame - and, bizarrely - the 'offset body' logo from the headstock. Dunno why.

It sounds incredible - the pickups are so punchy. The neck pickup is massive. I've got a load of soundclips, so I'll post what I can.

I don't want to post at the moment, what with it being nearly Christmas and that. Collection from Whitley Bay-ish, or I could meet somewhere not too far.

Price includes covers and original Hiscox case.

[quote name='Cairobill' timestamp='1418467745' post='2630397']
Interesting bass. Do you find the thicker neck give this jazz a heavier sound? I love jazz basses but suspect that the thinner the neck, the weedier the tone?
[/quote]

Cheers, all.

This is undoubtedly fatter than any other J I've had. Whether the neck is a factor in that or not, I don't know. Maybe it could be?

I can confirm a p neck makes the tone of a bass bigger/rounder/heavier in general.
There is more mass in the neck and it makes a total difference.
It isn't a very popular thing to do tho, as many playe want a jazz bass mostly co's of the slimmer/faster neck.
P basses with jazz necks are popular but "to me" they don't have that real P bass tone only a C or B neck whith (personal opinion)

Tim Cummerford of RATM and Audio Slave used J's with p bass necks some of them strung B E A D he had some of the biggest sounding 4 string jazz sounds I can remember, only maybe a Fodera 5 or 6 string could come close.

I like the idea very much, but visually its not that nice somehow.. But if one is into tone this would be a winner!

Edited by Brams77

Just for clarification - you say it is a P profile neck. For a '63 copy, I think I'm right in saying to most of us this would mean 1.75" nut width (44.5mm) though you mention in your NBD thread that the nut width is 40mm...?

[quote name='JCB' timestamp='1418572570' post='2631269']
Just for clarification - you say it is a P profile neck. For a '63 copy, I think I'm right in saying to most of us this would mean 1.75" nut width (44.5mm) though you mention in your NBD thread that the nut width is 40mm...?
[/quote]

Sorry, yes - it's the same as my '71, which IIRC is 40mm. I'll re-measure and confirm tonight.

EDIT: I checked and its 42mm.

[quote name='emilibass' timestamp='1418827814' post='2633756']
Aren't the very same pics with a different name? Can't see any differences.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/251376-limelight-61-jazz-heavy-relic-olympic-white-with-spitfire-pickguard-and-case/page__pid__2633751#entry2633751"]http://basschat.co.u...51#entry2633751[/url]
[/quote]

You need to look harder :-)