Why become a member? ×

Jaco The Movie - Pledgemusic!

spongebob

• 1 month later...

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1424208332' post='2693932']
Did anyone apart from me buy the film? £20 signed blueray with a download version?

Only did it when they announced multi region...
[/quote]

I bought the DVD version not the Blu-ray one. I did it early on and just hoped it was multi-region.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1424218919' post='2694115']
And have you received it?

I've just been told it's not finished yet.

Oh well.
[/quote]

Oh, no I haven't. I haven't looked in ages, didn't even realise it had reached the goal. I got fed up of all the irritating emails everyday 'updating' me.

Perhaps they bought this to make it really authentic, and needed to raise the cash to buy it. You can have has many props as you like, but to make it real, you need authentic items :)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JACO-PASTORIUS-JAZZ-BASS-1975-FENDER-FRETLESS-ORIGINAL-/151031567068?

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1442935813' post='2870740']
The movie's on at the Barbican during London Jazz festival. There are about as many seats as would fit in a typical Barbican 2-bed flat: http://www.barbican.org.uk/film/event-detail.asp?ID=18637
[/quote]

Just on the train home from the Barbican having just watched the film. I thoroughly enjoyed it, it's made me remember just how much I have enjoyed the great man and his music.

It's a highly compelling and nicely produced documentary, intercut with footage and interviews. I doubt if it adds much to the story for the hardcore Jaco fanatic, but it is intriguing to watch his friends, family and fellow musicians recount the tale in their own words. If you like Jaco, go and see it. I'm off to listen to Word of Mouth again!

I listened to "Word Of Mouth" on my way to the cinema :)
That album has been important to me, found it in a window of a secondhand book shop in Poland soon after I started playing bass as a young hardrocker, and remembered that someone recommended the name. First jazz album in my collection, probably far from usual "gateway" choices ;)
Great documentary.
Managed to have a brief chat with Janek Gwizdala before the screening :)

Really enjoyed the screening last night. Some very difficult viewing in places though.

I stayed for most of the credits, and spotted quite a few names in the "thanks for their time" list who didn't appear in the movie, Nick Beggs for example. Is there going to be a "director's cut" with the added material?

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='MarshallBTB' timestamp='1449126705' post='2920887']
Any luck with this yet? Still waiting for an update with some kind of download/streaming link. Last update was 11th November despite the 'release' on the 1st December.
[/quote]

Apparently my dvd was dispatched yesterday. Pretty sure the original date was sometime last october for delivery.