Why become a member? ×

London Bass Guitar Show - 7 & 8 March 2015

bassguitarshow

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1425941467' post='2712668']
I really should read this stuff before I post it. Turned round and you where gone and I didn't see you the rest of the day which was a pity.
[/quote]

where?

a long trip back from London I'm guessing!?

Must say in general the volume was a good 50% quieter than last year, however the horn system still meant f/a to any of the abusing stalls.

Great day, great equipment, however I was in the market for a vintage 70's on the day and was surprised to see no one had anything.. :(

Edited by TomKent

[quote name='iamtheelvy' timestamp='1425925001' post='2712356']
I didn't really get a chance to stop over the weekend - tried to get to as many performances as poss! Had a bit of time to try out some nice stuff though. No moneys at the mo, but I think my Markbass rig will expand in the not too distant future!
[/quote]

multiamp, multiamp, multiamp, multiamp...... (I came home with one... and a 121H... eek)

So, it was great to see you all! it was really well attended, met some great people and on the MarkBass stand we mostly managed to control the volume, but apologies to those who might have felt differently! Often when asked "I really need to know how loud it goes", answering with "come back at loud time" doesn't always go down well, and the volume creeps up.

I'm sure after last year there was discussion about having a quiet room and a (slightly) noisier one, but in general this year the show was definitely quieter overall. Hard to believe, I know, but several do agree with this!

Favourite thing? Lots. But meeting and spending time with Lawrence Insula (currently working with Rita Ora) and his pals was a delight. What a genuinely nice, professional guy and amazing player. He and his pals did get a little bit rowdy on the stand for 6-7 minutes on Sunday, but some great playing!

and Skelf, we [i]w​ill[/i] be talking again later in the year....

Edited by MoJoKe

oh, and the Ethan Farmer masterclass - wow... I have always had a slight issue with people who I think often "overplay" when reworking live versions of classic basslines (see my sig), but this guy nails it. The bass line for "Brick House" is absolutely [i]made[/i] by the "space" after the 1, but he seemed to be able to add so much without clutter or changing this essential groove.

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1425992422' post='2713122']
multiamp, multiamp, multiamp, multiamp...... (I came home with one... and a 121H... eek)

[/quote]

Nah, too complicated for me! Looking to pair up my 1x15 with a nice compact 2x10 and a Mini Mark!

[quote name='iamtheelvy' timestamp='1425935686' post='2712573']
Nice. Missed the Mark King performance. I'm uploading some clips to me YouTube channel, but they're taking forever! In the meantime, here's my favourite pic of the weekend:

[url="http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/iamtheelvy/media/image.jpg19_zps23rvzgbe.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

Bassface!!!

[quote name='TomKent' timestamp='1425989472' post='2713057']
Great day, great equipment, however I was in the market for a vintage 70's on the day and was surprised to see no one had anything.. :(
[/quote]

Yep, no Andy Baxter this year - was rather surprised by that.

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1426000801' post='2713268']
hmm yes, would have been nice to see my old Wal he is currently selling.....
[/quote]

Is that the fretless MK1?

I went on Saturday with the express hope of having a go on that... was surprised to find out he wasn't there either.

yup. Its 'effin gorgeous but is a 4 string and I just wasn't using it, so couldn't justify keeping it. Customised slightly for me, the neck was made with more of a precision feel. I sold it on BC about 18 months ago with the express intention to commission a Mk3 five string fretless with the same facings, but then ran out of money :angry:

I really do hope someone in the UK buys it rather than it getting shipped overseas... you'd do! haha!

[quote name='BassAgent' timestamp='1425821044' post='2711024']
I was there yesterday and had a GREAT day. Yes, there was a lot of noise but I wasn't at all bothered by it. It might be because most of it was low end, but I could actually understand the person I was talking to. I also had the feeling that, apart from the Status stand maybe, there wasn't even that much slapping going on.

Best experiences:
-Having a chat with Roger Sadowsky. I think he might have been the nicest guy at the show. What a great man.
-Checking out the TecAmp stand. I've said my Aguilar won't leave me for the next few years, but that might be changing...
-Having coffee with Paul Turner. I've had the chance of meeting him twice so far, and already he knows who I am and invited me for a cup of coffee at the Maribelle's (just opposite of the Olympia). Great guy, great bass player.

What also struck me was how nice everybody was to each other. There was no feeling of rivalry, nobody was walking around with a "I can play better than you" attitude... I think that would be different at a drums or guitar show.

Oh and this happened.

Photo by Paul Sips (the guy with the hat). I'm on the far left.
[/quote]

hey, it was actually me taking this photo, using Paul's phone though ;) I totally agree with comments about Paul Turner too, I had courage to talk to him after a gig few years ago and we've been friends since, despite everyone being busy and meeting up only few times a year. Having guys like Steve Lawson, Mike Mondesir, Paul Sips etc recognise me on the first name basis is always supercool and heartwarming too.

Also, I'll just leave my (public) fb album from LBGS here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10205850993892066.1073741830.1174473192&type=1&l=be77263407

don't expect Bluejay's quality or quantity of photos, still some of you may find some interesting. I had a good time, the loudness was indeed less obnoxious than last year.

[quote name='such' timestamp='1426006905' post='2713352']
Also, I'll just leave my (public) fb album from LBGS here: [url="https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10205850993892066.1073741830.1174473192&type=1&l=be77263407"]https://www.facebook...=1&l=be77263407[/url]

don't expect Bluejay's quality or quantity of photos, still some of you may find some interesting. I had a good time, the loudness was indeed less obnoxious than last year.
[/quote]

Marcin, those pics are great! Forget about my photos - this isn't some kind of competition, and mine aren't ready yet, anyway ;) :D

Incidentally, anyone know who this lefty gentleman with a rockstar look is? He was at the Porter & Davies stand.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1426009407' post='2713392']
Incidentally, anyone know who this lefty gentleman with a rockstar look is? He was at the Porter & Davies stand.
[/quote]

Aha, you found a picture of [i]the[/i] noisiest slapper at the show....! haha!

[quote name='such' timestamp='1426005897' post='2713333']
hey, it was actually me taking this photo, using Paul's phone though ;)
[/quote]
Ehehehe true that, sorry ;) Credits to you and Paul's phone then ;)

Thanks for those pics btw! It's nice to see me in 1 photo with Doug Wimbish, although I didn't really get to talk to him. Also good to see that gorgeous Pedulla bass again. Michael Pedulla is such a nice guy and that fretless was one of the best fretless basses I've ever tried. And who was that guy with the long coat and the hat on? I saw him playing a couple of times but he seemed so out of place there...

Also, Alan, I was genuinely impressed by the fretless bass I tried. It was great to talk to you, and feel your passion for those instruments. Great stuff.

Edited by BassAgent

oh yes, I finally got to try a couple of ACG basses, including a fiver in Über specification. Didn't have much clue how the filters worked, but in some settings, accidentally, I was getting THAT tone, one I was hoping to hear. Also, super comfortable (although I prefer smaller fingerboard radius) and built quality second to none. Awesome stuff.

I have to admit I'm still buzzing after spending the weekend working alongside Roger Sadowsky.

He was just such a nice guy and had a really refreshing attitude to producing a bass for a 'working' musician.

Of course, I now have major Sadowsky GAS - just when I thought I was more or less happy with my basses!

Edited by molan

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1426033483' post='2713735']
I have to admit I'm still buzzing after spending the weekend working alongside Roger Sadowsky.

He was just such a nice guy and had a really refreshing attitude to producing a bass for a 'working' musician.

Of course, I now have major Sadowsky GAS - just when I thought I was more or less happy with my basses!
[/quote]

It must be love Barrie!

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1426018528' post='2713552']
You guys at the Markbass stand had to endure him at a short distance, poor you... :rolleyes:
[/quote]

That was [b]not[/b] sarcastic, by the way, I really mean it. Must have been pretty horrid in that corner.

One more pic: Basschatter Chris Sharman and his awesome, cake-providing other half :) :sun_bespectacled:

Edited by bluejay