Why become a member? ×

Recruiting band members online

Low End Bee

Facebook is good in that you are already friends with a lot of players. That is its sole purpose as far as I am concerned
so I tend to look within the muso pools that I know ...
I'll call a few friends and ask them if they know of someone and I'll get 3 or 4 names off that. I tend to want to
see an online playing presense like youtube or even soundcloud and most people who are serious will have this
to various degrees and certainly if they are 'pro'. That goes further than a recommendation but you need a name
in the first place.
I also generally ask around amongst my 'friends' to see if they know of anyone looking.
Turning up at a few 'jam nights' tends to remind a few people as well...

As for going in 'blind' then that is just pot luck and more 'pot' than 'luck'
so I tend not to want to do that...

[quote name='Skinnyman' timestamp='1415727861' post='2603145']
Bandmix and joinmyband are the two I've used.

With mixed results, it has to be said :-)
[/quote]

This. Put what you will in your ads (and I have), but you will still get some patently unsuitable applicants (and I have)!

I've used Joinmyband recently to get a new band off the ground (although I already had a drummer lined up so was mainly looking for a gitard). Rather than posting an ad I just kept an eye out on who was looking/advertising their wares. The first couple of guys didn't work out but the third was a real find and we're now in the throes of getting our 3 piece to gigging standard. TBH he's possibly one of the most talented musicians I've worked with which is really keeping myself and the drummer on our toes. To top it off we're hoping to rope in a friend of his who's a top notch sax player.

If your looking to recruit make sure your ad includes what you have to offer. It will be tough to recruit good musicians with experience for a start up project. At least it is over here.

I would never audition for a band that did not have business on the books.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1415749572' post='2603495']
If your looking to recruit make sure your ad includes what you have to offer. It will be tough to recruit good musicians with experience for a start up project. At least it is over here.

Blue
[/quote]

Are you saying that you would never join a new, unproven musical venture?

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1415750462' post='2603505']
Formed my current band -mostly- through Joinmyband. Had a lot of timewasters and complete morons on there but eventually it's paid off and found a group of folk I gel with musically and socially.
[/quote]

Same here. Got together two years ago, and apart from the original drummer we are still going strong.

[/quote]

Cool if that works for you - but I think that's a bit sad. Who is to say what the potential of that new "start-up" band may be? Every band had to start somewhere...

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1415796886' post='2603833']
Cool if that works for you - but I think that's a bit sad. Who is to say what the potential of that new "start-up" band may be? Every band had to start somewhere...
[/quote]
It appears that the OP is in the USA where 'Bar Bands' take things a bit more serious than us Brits in the local boozer on a Friday night playing for beer money! :)

[/quote]

Conversely I would never join a band that did have business on the books, as this would suggest to me that all the songs were already written and I would have no creative influence...

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1415800624' post='2603905']
Conversely I would never join a band that did have business on the books, as this would suggest to me that all the songs were already written and I would have no creative influence...
[/quote]

But good bands are always writing new material. My band writes at least one new song every month.

I was in the band pretty much from the beginning, but the first sets worth of songs were written by Mr Venom and the original guitarist over the course of a couple of evenings. However within 6 months over half the set was songs I'd written the music for.

If I liked the music (and that would be the primary reason for me joining any band) it wouldn't bother me that I'd not written any of the songs and not even having to play someone else's bass lines. But I'd be stamping my personality and creative ideas all over any new material.

Unfortunately IME band member finding websites are full of time wasters, people who like the idea of being in a band but don't have the dedication required, or musicians who think they can be in lots of bands and end up letting everyone down because they are simply too busy to devote enough time to any one of their musical projects.

The internet has made it too easy to advertise for musicians and bands. In the past when creating an ad actually mean making one on a piece of paper and then going to all the relevant shops in town to put it up (or if you were dedicated enough paying for one to go in the back pages of the music press inkies) was enough to weed out the majority of people who wouldn't have the dedication required to be in a band. Now any slacker with a spare minute can stick something up on line from the comfort of their sofa.

None of the musicians I've found through these sites have had the stamina or dedication and drive to be in a band.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1415802215' post='2603929']
If I liked the music (and that would be the primary reason for me joining any band) it wouldn't bother me that I'd not written any of the songs and not even having to play someone else's bass lines. But I'd be stamping my personality and creative ideas all over any new material.
[/quote]

That's probably one of many reasons your in a successful band and I'm not!

I just couldn't bring myself to play someone elses basslines... even for a short period of time.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1415803086' post='2603938']
I just couldn't bring myself to play someone elses basslines... even for a short period of time.
[/quote]

For me the song as a whole always trumps what the individual musicians play. If it's best for the song I don't care who wrote the part or how simple (or difficult) it is to play.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1415803270' post='2603942']
For me the song as a whole always trumps what the individual musicians play. If it's best for the song I don't care who wrote the part or how simple (or difficult) it is to play.
[/quote]

True... some of my basslines are very simple, I'm not one to overcomplicate things at the expense of serving a song. I just feel sometimes the input of a proper bass player is overlooked in many bands... Guitarists tend to feel that because they can physically play the bass they can write suitable basslines, when in truth the role of the bass is more rooted in DB than it is in guitar and the writing of a good bassline is very different to that of a melody. The electric bass is seen as synonymous with the electric guitar as they look similar and are played in a similar fashion, whereas in reality they are completely different instruments, requiring seperate approaches to composition.

I guess my view stems from my experience of turning up to auditions having learnt songs where I know I can offer a better balenced bassline than the original (often written by the guitarist / songwriter as root notes of the chord sequence) and being told "you have to play exactly whats been written". Which to my mind equates to me standing on a stage playing something which I know isn't good enough.

Edited by CamdenRob