Why become a member? ×

Stingray Prices

woolleydick

Having watched the sales of a few Rays on Basschat of late I had the impression that prices of secondhand ones are dropping.
Imagine my surprise when visiting the Bass Gallery to find an identical spec' 78 Ray to my own one being offered at £1500.
It was in imacculate condition and a superb bass (I played it).
But given prices I have seen elsewhere for other Rays it did seem a little pricey.
What do you guys think?
Am I missing something?

Pre-EB Stingrays are generally more sought after, and the 90's EB ones are generally better looking with the birdseye maple necks and old style muted bridges..

A new Stingray will set you back at least £1000, the prices in-store seem to have gone up recently too - so when you see one go for £600 on here it's an absolute steal, personally I wouldn't let mine go for less than £750.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='253617' date='Aug 3 2008, 09:40 AM']Curiously, Bongos seem to be worth more at the moment. Is it the modernity or the novelty value, I wonder?[/quote]
Probably because they aren't as easy to find second hand?

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='253617' date='Aug 3 2008, 09:40 AM']I think it's just one of those down periods. It seems to be MusicMan basses & Warwicks that aren't loved these days. That seems to make the prices fall on here. Curiously, Bongos seem to be worth more at the moment. Is it the modernity or the novelty value, I wonder?[/quote]

I agree it does appear to be the two named manufacturers that have suffered most but is this a fact or just a misconception? I realise the 'credit crunch' is hitting everyone and everything but are there other manufacturers that are hit as bad as EB & 'W'

re. the OP question.

Pre EB will bump the price as will the fact that it is a 'good un' but a major chunk of that value is the fact that the retailer has premises to upkeep so it will have his profit margin built in and don't forget that even on used retail goods there is still VAT to be added! That came as a bit of a shock to me when I asked if a store would handle a commission sale for me... unless they were blowing smoke up my backside :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='253622' date='Aug 3 2008, 10:49 AM']I agree it does appear to be the two named manufacturers that have suffered most but is this a fact or just a misconception? I realise the 'credit crunch' is hitting everyone and everything but are there other manufacturers that are hit as bad as EB & 'W'

re. the OP question.

Pre EB will bump the price as will the fact that it is a 'good un' but a major chunk of that value is the fact that the retailer has premises to upkeep so it will have his profit margin built in and don't forget that even on used retail goods there is still VAT to be added! That came as a bit of a shock to me when I asked if a store would handle a commission sale for me... unless they were blowing smoke up my backside :)[/quote]

Oh without doubt, the retailer has their costs, and in London those costs can be ridiculously high, I was still surprised at £1500 for a similar bass to mine. I did understand about the pre-EB thang (one of the reasons I bought mine), but I am sure it would not attract anywhere near that on here or the evilbay.
Whoever buys it will get one hell of a bass though regardless of the price.

Don't follow Musicman prices closely, though have always had the perception that they hold their value better that most other basses. A quick look at GAK showes a new 'Ray available for £949 - and they are frequently offered on hear for up to £850 ( £750 being common) far lower depreciation than you see for most other readily available basses

P

I think that apart from a few unusual brands, vintage or rare basses, most basses prices are dropping at the moment.

Though quite why Warwick & MM seem to suffering more than most, I'm not sure? It could be because there's a lot of them around and there is more choice...

[quote name='Platypus' post='253636' date='Aug 3 2008, 10:25 AM']Don't follow Musicman prices closely, though have always had the perception that they hold their value better that most other basses. A quick look at GAK showes a new 'Ray available for £949 - and they are frequently offered on hear for up to £850 ( £750 being common) far lower depreciation than you see for most other readily available basses

P[/quote]

Unfortunately at the moment £750 would be well optimistic! It was only a few short months ago that there were a whole bunch of Ray and Sterlings that were reducing to the £650 mark :)

I fell for a used (and slightly scarred) 20th anniversary Ray that was in a store in Florida, while I was out there a couple of months ago. But their rock bottom price was £750 with no case and the possibility of getting clobbered for tax at customs coming back. Knowing the market here at the moment, I had to put it back on the wall. :)

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='253663' date='Aug 3 2008, 12:20 PM']I think that apart from a few unusual brands, vintage or rare basses, most basses prices are dropping at the moment. [...][/quote]

Correct! I scored an Ibanez SRX500 in very good condition AND with a hard case for £102 the other day.

Think it's more a case of they're not improving any?
Sold a 2EQ 1990 ray 4H on here (pretty good nick) in 07 for just under £600.
Sold a mint 2004 black single H on here last autumn for £650.
Scored a pretty mint CAR ray 4H from here earlier this year for £600.

It's definately a buyers market - £600 for a bass that could serve a pro bassist for a few decades has got to be good news. It's only a problem if GAS forces you to swap and change (like most of us on here :) )

It depends on how desperate someone is for the cash or how much they need for that new purchase. I am lucky that I needed neither so I was able to let the bass sit on ebay reject the silly offers and wait for the buy it now. A shop can also leave basses on the shelf until the right price is offered.

Not wishing to go off-line too far with pricing but we did mention the poor showing of Warwick as a brand... £650 for what appears to be a mint condition 5 string Streamer from The Bass Merchant... ouch :)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220262163760&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=012"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=012[/url]

both of my rays sold for around £650

both were mint and absolutely gorgeous examples (go on jobiebass you tell em!! lol)

as good as rays are does anyone else find the "weak" G string sound a bit annoying?

i had it on bot my rays in varying degrees (the white one was worse i think) and have noticed it on the other 3 rays ive tried too!

is it just part of their sound????

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='253622' date='Aug 3 2008, 09:49 AM']I agree it does appear to be the two named manufacturers that have suffered most but is this a fact or just a misconception? I realise the 'credit crunch' is hitting everyone and everything but are there other manufacturers that are hit as bad as EB & 'W'

re. the OP question.

Pre EB will bump the price as will the fact that it is a 'good un' but a major chunk of that value is the fact that the retailer has premises to upkeep so it will have his profit margin built in and don't forget that even on used retail goods there is still VAT to be added! That came as a bit of a shock to me when I asked if a store would handle a commission sale for me... unless they were blowing smoke up my backside :)[/quote]

I used to be in the second hand business - audio equipment not musical instruments, but same thing. The VAT is a killer. Even if the shop doesn't make any profit, something (using round figures) bought used at a grand has to sell at £1200. On top of that you have to factor in money for the percentage that will break and you'll have to repair or refund and for your £1200 sale you'll be wanting to buy in at £500-600. The seller, of course, thinks they're getting ripped off.

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='BassManKev' post='253885' date='Aug 3 2008, 07:51 PM']easy to avoid, just raise the pickup slightly on the d/g side or lower the pickup on the e/a side, its fine for me[/quote]

+1...it's sorted my Ray out nicely! I have noticed the screw (over the course of many months) sometimes loosens too much and I've twice found the magnet stuck to the string if i've not paid attention! lol!

Personally i have no idea why some people have a preference over the pre-EB rays to the current ones, they don't sound a great deal different and they're no better in construction, there really isn't much difference. If anything the new ones are better.

Not sure why the sales are suffering though. They are great instruments, oh well, i suppose it sets me up to get one around christmas rather nicely!

[quote name='budget bassist' post='253966' date='Aug 3 2008, 10:17 PM'][b]Personally i have no idea why some people have a preference over the pre-EB rays to the current ones, they don't sound a great deal different and they're no better in construction, there really isn't much difference. If anything the new ones are better.[/b]

Not sure why the sales are suffering though. They are great instruments, oh well, i suppose it sets me up to get one around christmas rather nicely![/quote]

You could level that comment at Fender Jazz/Precision basses and I think you'd find a few defenders of the faith leaping forward :)

I have to confess to having a fondness for old Warwicks and though there is nothing 'wrong' with any of the new ones (some may argue they are more consistent now due to technological advances), I'd as soon have an old one than a new one. I can justify that statement with reasons, so I'm sure Musicman lovers will have their reasons :huh: