Why become a member? ×

Wal-let buster: the words 'buddy', 'on', and 'dream' spring to mind...

UglyDog

I know Wals go for a fair few quid but I can't help thinking that, even allowing for the sleb factor, [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WAL-Pro-Bass-bass-guitar/321539752473?_trksid=p2060778.c100276.m3476&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140725133651%26meid%3De8606d827d5246459f4c0fc3f194f433%26pid%3D100276%26prg%3D20140725133651%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D251678331292#ht_652wt_1099"]this one[/url] is a little, errm, enthusiastically priced. OK so it's a real oldie but even so, the last couple of Pro 2Es I've seen on the bay have gone for between 1500 and 1800.

Looks a little optimistic to me.... The thing with Wals is the old ones don't seem to go for any more than the newer ones.

Wals aren't like Fenders where the price goes up the older they are, they command a pretty steady price regardless of age... mainly due not not changing anything about the design for 30 odd years.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1413897208' post='2583252']
Wals aren't like Fenders where the price goes up the older they are, they command a pretty steady price regardless of age... mainly due not not changing anything about the design for 30 odd years.
[/quote]

I'd say it's due to the consistently high standard of construction, fit and finish as well.

[quote name='itsmedunc' timestamp='1413916661' post='2583619']
I would rather pay five grand for that than a grand for a fake 1969 Fender P though...
[/quote]

I would rather pay five grand for that than anything with Fender on the headstock!

It has been for sale for a long while, I believe. Not surprising , really! A one pickup version sold for ~£1400 this evening on eBay. A custom MK1 sold for £2500 or so recently on here, and that would be worth more than this old pro series, for sure :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1413920285' post='2583694']
Had fun watching that! Someone got a bargain.
[/quote]

D'you think? Dodgy electrics and a dodgy refin/paint job? I had a look at it and thought it was plenty of money...

Depends on how dodgy the electrics are. If the original PCB etc has all been stripped out and binned, then yes it's far from a bargain.
I'd imagine it would be possible to establish what colour it was originally? I know Pete & Wal kept details of the early basses.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1413971441' post='2584123']
D'you think? Dodgy electrics and a dodgy refin/paint job? I had a look at it and thought it was plenty of money...
[/quote]

Yes, it would have been a gamble. I'd have gone for it though - if I'd had the disposable yesterday. As UD says above, if there's nothing in the cavity then it's a problem, but on the other hand if it only needed an hour or two's fettling, that could have added £500-£700 to the value which is very nice work if you can get it. The seller did say that everything's there and it just needed rewiring. Could be bullplop of course, but that's what gambling is all about. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1413980634' post='2584325']
Hmmm... a badly refinished Pro 1e at £2k? Dunno if it'd have gone at that...
[/quote]

Those pics are pretty crap (which doesn't bode well, I'll admit) but from what you can see there's no real evidence that it's badly-refinished. I wouldn't go for matt black obviously, but it's not totally outrageous. Problem is I do have terrible GAS for a Wal, so I'm probably biased!

Edited by discreet

I was watching it with interest and had an absolute maximum of £1200 limit in mind, based on its condition and the electrics work required. To me, that would have been a bargain, but selling at £1400 is about right I would say.

If he lied about the electronics, send it back to him and Paypal would have your back, as a complete electrics replacement would be expensive indeed.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1413980890' post='2584327']
Those pics are pretty crap (which doesn't bode well, I'll admit) but from what you can see there's no real evidence that it's badly-refinished. I wouldn't go for matt black obviously, but it's not totally outrageous. Problem is I do have terrible GAS for a Wal, so I'm probably biased!
[/quote]

Well, I was going off the (few for £1400) ropey photos, and the description of the refin where he says it's a 'reasonable job' and applying my EBay Description Paranoia Filter... :D