Why become a member? ×

Squier Precision, or a waste of money..

jonnythenotes

I just bought a Squier Precision for 50 quid, and I wonder if anyone knows if its any good or not, as there are so many variations, over so many years, that I am completely baffled. It is gloss black with a white plastic scratch plate, and Its in very good condition apart from a bit of buckle rash on the back. It also sounds much better than I thought it would, with a lovely warm, round sort of tone, moving to a thinner, toppier sound as you move the tone control around. At the headstock the following info is printed on one decal..... Squier Precision Bass Made In Japan by Fender. On a second decal below the letters 'uier' of Squier' is printed Serial Number P005534. I already know that 50 quid is probably good for this bass, or would it have been better spent on a couple of sets of strings... Thanks in advance guys....any info will be gratefully received...

Sounds like you`ve picked up a deal there, however really the answer to it being a waste or not is whether your hands and ears like the bass, not your eyes - not meaning to sound pompous there btw. My Korean Squier is a great bass and I love playing it, cost me £150. This Squier just has a special feel to it - as did the last Korean Squier I had and stupidly sold (which is why I went and bought the next one that came along). I suppose what I`m rambling on saying is, if you like playing an instrument, the money spent on it isn`t a waste.

Thanks chaps.. I really appreciate the comments. I have been playing active 5 strings for 15 years, with all the fancy whistles and bells etc that go with them, and completely lost site of the basics in this time. Since I picked this Squier up, I have realised how good it is to have a simple 4 string again. Sometimes it is nice to take away the things you THINK you need, paint yourself into a corner, and see how you manage with what you have left yourself,....and in this case it feels good. Since I posted the initial request for advice, have done a bit of poking around using the info and links you have given me, and for once, it looks like I have got a good deal. Thanks again fellas...It really is nice to get unbiased views, that are not driven by sales advisers in music shops seeking a sale. ....John

Thanks Geek99....I almost feel like an expert now after reading that lot. I have also googled a few decals of the 'Silver' model P bass, and they are identical too mine, but mine does not have the word Silver at the end of the headstock....One way or another I will get a photo of it on to this thread... and thanks again for your help...

Thanks for the offer Paul, but I am going to stick with it for a while and get back into appreciating a simple 4 string bass. I was very fortunate to spot it in a charity shop, so at least the 50 quid went to where it is needed. As for me, I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth...just be glad I spotted it. If I can't get on with it, I will let you know...and thanks again..