Why become a member? ×

Which Warwick??

discreet

I've owned 3 Warwicks (Thumb Ltd 2006, corvette std 5 and streamer jazzman). I recently sold my jazzman in order to fund a Dingwall and except from the weight of the warwicks, I'm missing that extra growl! The corvette had a tone which just semed to fit with any genre I was asked to play (which was quite a variety!). Miss that bass despite the fact that the dingwall weighs as near as makes no difference half of the weight!

Well! I'm surprised, no, stunned...actually surprised and stunned :o and somewhat disappointed (actually that's something else, forget that)

You do realise if you buy a Corvette people point and snigger and say "look at him with the funny horn! " , lots more sniggering.

Email has not been forgotten by the way :D

Check out the neck thickness and find to taste. Corvettes give you the option of easy pickup replacement should you want to. Chinese Rockbass Corvette - excellent quality and available s/h at silly prices. German ones - outstanding and available at excellent prices. I speak from experience of three.

The Stage II is, in my opinion the most wonderful instrument. I sold mine ONLY because the reach to the first fret was causing me problems. (Neck and back trouble.) When I played Fenders due to the pain, going back to the Stage II also caused hand position memory problems, due to the different ergonomics. In the end, I reluctently sold mine. But it will always be the best bass I ever owned for sound and sheer quality.

I also owned a 2004 ish Streamer LX4. This was also a great instrument. It's worth pointing out that this bass also had a jazz width neck but was deep front to back and very comfortable. (Although often complained about, I found it fine)

So, maybe seek out a Streamer LX of that era because it seems to fit your wish list.

Frank.

My highly opinionated opinion....
Go pre 1993, and go neck through. Wenge necks and thinner than the "club" ones. The profiles tend to be thicker front back than fender would tend to use but you get used to it. Streamer stage 1 or 2, Thumb or dolphin.... Streamer stage one is quite versatile all-round bass - fairly forward and high mid focused. Thumb is the deep growly low middy punch, the dolphin and SS2 tend to be somewhere in between.
The one exception to that is a corvette $$ which seem to be well loved.
I've a 1991 SS1 and a 1985 Thumb, If I come down to visit your way I'll bring them with me.

My guess would be a SS2 or thumb would suit. Go an play a load before splashing the cash, but if you know any german speakers who can write for you.... ebay.de and convince them to post to the UK isn't bad and how I picked up my '85 thumb at a wee bit cheaper than you would expect to get it for sale here....

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1412767208' post='2571756']

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]Out of all the Warwick’s I’ve had and played my favourite is my MIJ Dophin Pro 2 !![/color][/size][/font]

[/quote]

odd Warwickhunt seems to say similarly....

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]In answer to these two bits[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"I like a big, beefy sound but with quite a pronounced mid-twang (pronounced 'MID TWANG') and a hint of top sizzle... well-defined and articulate, but with a lot of oomph... and the descriptions on this forum of the Warwick 'growl' and 'heft' are quite intriguing..." [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]and[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"Which Warwick?? Or should I really be looking at a Spector??[/font][/color]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]I would say your looking at a Warwick. The Spector's I have played have been great but have a pure, transparent and powerful sound, Warwick's have a more definable character and tone. Their slogan was something like "The sound of wood" and that Warwick growl is the result of that philosophy. [/color][/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]I have not played many Warwick's but have an FNA. Definitely worth a look on the 2nd hand market. I use mine with flats and it has a great range of terrific tones. [/color][/font]

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1412841511' post='2572488']
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]I would say your looking at a Warwick. The Spectors I have played have been great but have a pure, transparent and powerful sound, Warwick's have a more definable character and tone. Their slogan was something like "The sound of wood" and that Warwick growl is the result of that philosophy.[/color][/font]
[/quote]

Thanks for this - I had more or less come to that conclusion, but there sure are some nice-looking basses on the Spector site... but then I'm trying to get away from choosing a bass purely for its appearance and 'status', so... Warwick it is. :)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1412842643' post='2572499']
Not this one...
[/quote]
[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1412842706' post='2572500']
or this one...
[/quote]

Arrgghh, save me Jebus!! Come on Rob, I know I said I want to get away from judging a book by its cover, but credit me with just a [i]little [/i]taste and discernment! :) Having said that I'd probably play out the SC at a push... but definitely not the other one!

Edited by discreet

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1412842706' post='2572500']
or this one...

[/quote]

The singlecut thumb actually has a killer tone and a very wide string spacing (nice for some). I've had a play on one, but don't - and wouldn't - own one myself. Not because it's a singecut, but because it's too damned expensive and weighs as much as a small cow.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1412843955' post='2572518']
The singlecut thumb actually has a killer tone and a very wide string spacing (nice for some). I've had a play on one, but don't - and wouldn't - own one myself. Not because it's a singecut, but because it's too damned expensive and weighs as much as a small cow.
[/quote]

Mmm... small cow.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1412843772' post='2572514']
Arrgghh, save me Jebus!! Come on Rob, I know I said I want to get away from judging a book by its cover, but credit me with just a [i]little [/i]taste and discernment! :) Having said that I'd probably play out the SC at a push... but definitely not the other one!
[/quote]

OK sorry... Just to restore the balance I understand they also do some white ones...

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1412843955' post='2572518']
[/quote]

yeah I bet it sounds great... I've got a thumb on the way myself. I just can't get over the aesthetics of a single cut though...

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1412844068' post='2572520']
...I understand they also do some white ones...
[/quote]

Ha yes, I have been looking... but again I've probably spent too long saying 'it's got to be white'. One wonders how many incredible basses have passed me by because they're the 'wrong' colour...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1412844287' post='2572522']
Ha yes, I have been looking... but again I've probably spent too long saying 'it's got to be white'. One wonders how many incredible basses have passed me by because they're the 'wrong' colour...
[/quote]

Yeah it's difficult to break the habit with what you want a bass to look like.... I've probably missed out on some cracking single cut basses with gold hardware due to vomiting when I first saw them...

A good example from this 'ere Basses for Sale forum. I'd be all over this sucker if I didn't already have a Corvette:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/245757-warwick-corvette-std-german-made-active-l499-shipped-l475-collected-pics-now-up/

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with bagsieblue, other than with him living in Chorley and me in Manchester, it's very likely that he shares my weakness for pie and chips. Just a theory I'm putting out there.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1412844972' post='2572528']
A good example from this 'ere Basses for Sale forum. I'd be all over this sucker if I didn't already have a Corvette: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/245757-warwick-corvette-std-german-made-active-l499-shipped-l475-collected-pics-now-up/"]http://basschat.co.u...ed-pics-now-up/[/url]
[/quote]

Very nice, it's just the wrong col --- wait, no! It looks very good indeed... :)

[quote name='Gnermo' timestamp='1412845133' post='2572530']
Come to the Warwick forum and never leave!
[/quote]

There are only 24 hours in a day and I spend 22 of them on here!! Hmm... that DOES leave 2 hours, though...