Why become a member? ×

Gibson 'New for 2015' offerings. Sigh.

NancyJohnson

If you know me, you'll know I've been using Thunderbirds of various guises for a while now. I just checked the Gibson site and the 2015 offerings - basswise - are again fairly underwhelming and pricewise are fast approaching Lull territory.

The Thunderbird is still there, although Gibson have seemingly dropped the EB series pickups in and offered coil-tap/switching option, but the big change is the three point bridge has gone (yay!) and been replaced with a Babicz unit that emulates the three-pointer but does somewhat more. Once these bridges become available, I'll retro-retro fit one and report back.

On the additionally disappointing front, it's only available in vintage sunburst. I mean, effing hell, old Henry has [i]pillaged[/i] the Les Paul heritage left, right and centre with different top/colour combos, what do we get? Vintage Sunburst.

Anyhow that's it. I'm off my soap box and going to get some breakfast.
P

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1411830432' post='2563143']
Ahh, Gibson, bless 'em - not giving a flying f hole about what bassists want since 1953 :)
[/quote]

Nothing wrong (much..)... with SG / EB3 bass. Am enjoying mine. It could be better for zero production cost to Gibson, It could avoid neck dive, could have pickups that have decent output, tone control that does something. It might even have the strings evenly aligned on the neck - this is bridge placement issue by mm or two. What it does have in spades is the Fraser / Bruce tone, playability and a for me a great neck profile.

What do we want Gibson to build? What would the 2015 Gibson must have bass feature? I want my EB2 back, but with full tone range, not just mudbucker. I also want sane prices, it is possible to build a good instrument and retail out at £6/700 ish.

Edited by 3below

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1411850790' post='2563356']
Gibson have never made a pretty bass, fact.
[/quote]

I'm a reasonably intelligent person so I have already established the fact through your reinforcement by repetition that you have a pathological dislike of Gibson basses, which you are more than entitled to, rich tapestry of life and all that. So you you can stop beating the drum and put it down, I got it (I'm pretty sure we've all got it now - you're not exactly invisible around here), thanks.

[quote name='howdenspur' timestamp='1411850126' post='2563353']
When you see what they're prepared to do on their guitars, including Firebirds, it is really quite baffling to the point of being ignorant.

But then, perhaps us chrome lovers are too conservative <_<
[/quote]

It would be interesting to see what percentage of Gibson's total sales are basses. If it's more than 10% I'd be surprised. So you get approximately 10% of arsedness about basses. Quite how the EB (2013 onwards) snuck past the beancounters at all astounds me to this day. That's all your bass creativity for this decade, cheerio!

Therefore, however galling, it is entirely understandable that the vast majority of the attention is lavished upon Les Paul and SG guitars.

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1411865649' post='2563433']
I'm just not happy with the set neck joint on 80% of their models... I'd be happy to pay for gibson electronics, but I think I'd put them in someone elses body, namely one with an upper horn to remove neckdive, and a bolt on neck to allow shimming / shaving to get it all working prefectly.
[/quote]

Why would a neck joint need shimming/shaving if it's made properly in the first place?

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1411865819' post='2563435']
I'm a reasonably intelligent person so I have already established the fact through your reinforcement by repetition that you have a pathological dislike of Gibson basses, which you are more than entitled to, rich tapestry of life and all that. So you you can stop beating the drum and put it down, I got it (I'm pretty sure we've all got it now - you're not exactly invisible around here), thanks.
[/quote]

I shall continue until they make a decent one, free forum and all that, thanks.

Can we just put one persistent complaint to bed here. I (and probably every Thunderbird owner) am sick and tired of the neck-dive complaint. Can we please just stop now. FFS (I'm not swearing Sean, just getting passionate) you play the instrument with two hands, yes? One of these on the neck while doing so, yes? When you're playing it, it is in balance...OK, take both hands off and yes, gravity will take over and the neck will cause the headstock to go south. So what? If you're unhappy, stick with your Fenders, get a wider strap or move the strap lug!

I admit, Thunderbirds are not to everyone's taste, I appreciate that, but as I've posted previously, I am a chubby guy in my late 40s. I strap on one of my TBs and I feel like a skinny 20 year old rock god. These basses make you play and feel better. They sound awesome (well for my purposes they do). They're like magic.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1411887443' post='2563471']
[/quote]

A decent one in what way Wayne? The Thunderbird is an acknowledged design classic. The finish and set up on mine was superb and the sound wonderful. My only regret with the TBird was selling it on. I understand that you just don't like them, as I just don't like Alembics, Status and Yamahas. etc etc etc, blah blah blah. I don't know why I started this, it's just pointless. I'm making ham toasties which is vastly more important.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1411887443' post='2563471']
[/quote]

You shall continue until [b]you think[/b] they have made a decent one. That's my point. Minus the beer and rum.

If you could prefix your non-factual opinion pieces with "I think" or suffix them with "IMO" instead of presenting them as fact that'd be an acceptable compromise. But as it stands right now, as far as I'm concerned you're nothing but a stirrer with nothing useful to add to the conversation and even less respect for other people and their preferences.

I think it's a nice guitar.

Over recent years it has surprised me why Gibson have made so many different models of what is basically the same 2-3 guitars. Les Pauls for example...gee where do I start? How many is there of them going around in various guises, studios, BFG, classics, blah blah blah!.
I'm new to bass, but it does seem that Gibson only make higher end gibsons....or so it seems to me. At least with their sixers they made different models of their guitars. Jrs....that Greenday one, satin finished, gloss finishes of the cheaper end, and the custom shop end of the scale.

[quote name='gadgie' timestamp='1411906519' post='2563716']
Over recent years it has surprised me why Gibson have made so many different models of what is basically the same 2-3 guitars.
[/quote]

Every manufacturer is sooooooo guilty of rehashing their core models. Fender and Gibson have been doing it for 50+ years. Ultimately the whole guitar gene pool can be broken down into a handful of models/configurations and no one is really doing anything new. It's just shapes and colours. No innovation. Again, as I've posted previously, Gibson are guilty as hell of providing a fraction of the choice to bass players that they do to guitarists and I doubt they really give a damn about that.

I posted a couple of weeks back that I trawl through a lot of forums/ebay/online stores and see nothing that really excites me, and put it down to my overall contentment with the gear I run...in my heart it's the lack of innovation that is at the root of this.
P

Edited by NancyJohnson