Why become a member? ×

The Who, Pino and Zak

TimR

Zak is almost there but I think neither he nor Pino are wild enough, just a little bit too precise and a little bit too cautious with their playing.

There are plenty of places where the OX would have been throwing in tasteful and tuneful licks that just sound empty to me. The interplay is missing.

However it's a catchy little pop tune.

I find it a bit Who By Numbers (as a pun and literally) almost as if all the elements of their previous work was fed into a program and this was spat out. The lyrics are a bit trite for my tastes too with the 'pop' references, a bit like Pete is trying to be down with the kids.

[quote name='Geddys nose' timestamp='1411765444' post='2562698']
I always thought someone like Bill Sheehan would be a better choice and someone like Dave Grohl on drums just for his power and aggression, I think Townsend likes his new lead role too much to step back like he did with Moon and JE though.
[/quote]

Sheehan maybe, possibly even James LoMenzo wouldn't be a bad choice but it'll never happen. Pino not only in sound but technique is just the wrong person and always will be. A great fusion fretless player but just awful for this situation. Pete doesn't want that style back as he's happy with the way things have changed. Pity that by doing that it destroyed all that was great that was left about the band much in the same way that Kenney Jones was the wrong choice to replace Keith Moon.

Dave Grohl on drums would be all wrong as he's from the John Bonham school rather than the Keith Moon school. I saw the Who in November 2000 and I'll never see a better gig. Ever. Zak Starkey would have been 35 then. He's now cracking on for 50 and playing drums in the Keith Moon style is somewhat strenuous to say the least. Besides the straightness of the new song in itself doesn't give one much space to work with.

The song in itself is crap. Just utter crap. It wouldn't even get on Face Dances which is what it sounds like an off cut from.

It was the COMBINATION of Townshend, Daltrey, Entwistle and Moon that made The Who one of the greatest, most exciting rock bands ever. Entwistle and Moon's contribution in terms of sheer musical abandonment was invaluable and [u]is[/u] irreplaceable. Nobody else, however great the musicianship, would be right for The Who.
Thought Be Lucky was ok though... while it was obviously Townshend and Daltrey, it kind of reminded me of XTC

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1411825280' post='2563096']
It was the COMBINATION of Townshend, Daltrey, Entwistle and Moon that made The Who one of the greatest, most exciting rock bands ever. Entwistle and Moon's contribution in terms of sheer musical abandonment was invaluable and [u]is[/u] irreplaceable. Nobody else, however great the musicianship, would be right for The Who.
[/quote]

Plus about a billion. It's the magic that happens when a band is greater than the sum of its parts.