Why become a member? ×

Has anyone ever taken a substantial break from playing?

Veils

A few years ago, I was in a band that experienced a reasonable degree of success for the genre of music we played (metal). I supported bands like Slayer, Mastodon and Trivium, got some Radio 1 Rock Show airplay and at the time, everything got very very serious. It eventually sucked any enjoyment I took from playing bass, I stopped practicing in my own time and eventually, I gave up altogether.

I was, at the time, a pretty good player. I've now finally got the itch in a big way to jump back in. I've loaned a bass to try and get some of my chops back. I'm obviously rusty, my fingers are a tad clumsy and trying to play along to one of my old bands tracks (I attached it - this is NOT the above mentioned band) is, in places, quite difficult.

What's the biggest break you guys have taken from playing and did you take any specific approach to getting back into it?

Edited by Veils

[quote name='Veils' timestamp='1408993418' post='2535356']
I have no idea if that attachment worked.......should be an mp3 file?
[/quote]

Once downloaded, the file should be re-baptised with an 'mp3' suffix. It's the System that imposes this; we can't do anything about it. The file is fine; just re-name it.

Went for about 6 years without playing a bass at all, and still go for anything up to 6 months at a time between playing bass as I tend to concentrate pretty much exclusively on acoustic guitar, mandolin and (most recently) pedal steel guitar these days.

My aim is that when I move back to UK next year, I will get the band you hear in the attached tune back together. I spent about 6 years playing metal and always wanted to put something more melodic together where I could really express myself a bit more as a bassist. I still love listening to the music we made to this day, I'd kill to get that band back together!

I stopped playing in 1967 when I sold all my gear (worst decision of my life) and started my career. What with that, marriages, family and other hobbies I didn't get back into playing again until 1990, a break of 23 years. I was very rusty however I've not looked back since.

I stopped playing from about 1999 to 2005, and within a year of picking it up again I was a better player than I was before. I definitely play less notes now and they are better-chosen notes because I have a better understanding of music, and I modulate them for interest in appropriate places, rather than playing too many notes all the time as if music was an athletic event, which is what I did when I was younger.