Why become a member? ×

Getting a bass in Asia?

ChunkyMunky

I am about to go on a hotel gig in Asia and I'm looking for something to use whilst I'm over there. I intend to use my first months pay ($2000USD) to purchase a 5 string. Has anyone had any experience over with our friends in the east? I'd idealistically like to hunt down something like a Sadowsky or another MM Bongo. Any ideas, chaps and chapettes? :)

[quote name='ChunkyMunky' timestamp='1407953151' post='2525732']
I am about to go on a hotel gig in Asia and I'm looking for something to use whilst I'm over there. I intend to use my first months pay ($2000USD) to purchase a 5 string. Has anyone had any experience over with our friends in the east? I'd idealistically like to hunt down something like a Sadowsky or another MM Bongo. Any ideas, chaps and chapettes? :)
[/quote]
Asia? A very big place is Asia. :rolleyes:

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1407963099' post='2525909']
I need to get my eyes tested. I read the title of this thread as "Getting a bass in Asda?".

I have nothing useful to contribute.
[/quote]

I wouldn't worry, that made me laugh heartily.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1407963780' post='2525920']
Asia? A very big place is Asia. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Yeah, I was being horrifically unspecific, right? I'm looking at any of the big cities because I'm not sure where my first contract will be, so at the risk of seeming a bit vague, I might as well.

I spent a month I vietnam in Hanoi. One of the guys who worked in the hotel brought me to a few stores ( a street with about 4o huts ) and I picked up a bass that I still use the odd time ! No idea what it's called :)
He also read the classified adds for me to see if I could pick up amps and stuff. My advice get to know the hotel staff.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1407963099' post='2525909']
I need to get my eyes tested. I read the title of this thread as "Getting a bass in Asda?".

I have nothing useful to contribute.
[/quote]

Is that because you know how to get a bassin Asda and not Asia?

BTW I do that a lot as well.

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1407972389' post='2526013']
I found a couple of guitar shops in Bangkok. They had the usual Fender and Gibson offerings and some Parker Fly basses. The prices were a lot better than here in the UK, VAT being only 7% and import duties much cheaper.
[/quote]

Hmmm might check those out. Got addresses?

Whilst I was out there, we found music shops all over the place.

In Shanghai there's street that is solely instrument shops, With pretty decent bass sections.

Also in Manila there was a good selection. Whilst out there I went in to this one shop and the bass section was 2-3 times larger than the bass section, all decent prices where the owner didn't have a clue. Failing that, there's an exclusive bar in Manila and a guy called Jericho part owns it. Get in touch with him. We played the club and I had a chat with him, he's one of the biggest distributors over there and has a very nice collection of gear.

My experience is limited to South Korea and Japan. In Seoul, [size=4]Nakwon Music Arcade is massive, but I prefer [/size][size=4]Music Force (http://basscollection.co.kr/) as they have loads of lovely Roscoes and MTDs as well as the usual suspects.[/size]
If you will be visiting Tokyo I can heartily recommend a trip to [size=4]G-Club Shibuya (http://www.kurosawagakki.com/tags/search/4/0/2969.html). More lovely Roscoes and MTDs, and a shedload of other quality basses, all on one dedicated floor.[/size]

I picked up a Sadowsky Tokyo in Japan about ten years ago while on a show ( In Tokyo funny enough..lol..).
It's pretty expensive out there, but a huge amount of high end basses in the shops.

If you go to Tokyo, check out this place (Sadowsky).
Oh, and take your debit visa card.
http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/web-ikebe/Sadowsky_IKEBE35th/index.html

http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/ec/srDispProductUpdateSearch/10379/3/11010000000/20140814/

Edited by lowdown

I generally wouldn't recommend buying music gear in mainland China as it's far too expensive to buy it (and many other kinds of foreign goods like that) here - the import taxes bump things up pretty significantly. I do my shopping (albeit mostly strings, accessories etc - I'm good for basses at the moment!) in Hong Kong, where there's the giant Tom Lee shop in Tsim Sha Tsui (lots of Fender, Music Man, Warwick too I think) as well as a number of smaller shops that stock some of the high-end US brands. I haven't had experience in Japan or Korea but I've heard good things, and there are a few decent places that I've been to in Bangkok but you'd want to ask someone local for specific shops.

[quote name='gadgie' timestamp='1407987473' post='2526034']
Hmmm might check those out. Got addresses?
[/quote]

Would only make a difference if you bought them over there and snuck them back in.
If you purchased from there to send to UK, fairly sure you would have to pay our 20% VAT on full price including shipping. You would also need to pay UK import duties.
Think it's the same as buying from States, add about 25% to cover shipping VAT and import.

Back at OP, could you not buy a cheapie, then get a proper one sent to your hotel from an Internet dealer in the same country as you are working, if that makes sense?